What do you guys consider "eating clean" means?

AtomicFox

AtomicFox

Awards
  • Established
Lets say we have 2 persons that both needs 4000 calories a day.

Subject 1 eats 2000 of his calories by going to McDonalds or by eating a pizza.

Subject 2 eats all of his calories by eating, chicken, beef, salad nuts and so on - you get the picture (eating clean).

They both end up at 4000 calories at night.

Would subject 1 be more prone to gaining fat than subject 2? They haven't been eating more than their metabolism have burned, but is there a difference?

Before any of you say it, yes, there is of course a difference in the quality of the foods, and you might be getting a "healthier" diet by eating as subject 2, but does "eating clean" really it matter on fat loss?

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
subject 1 could be young , have a high metabolism and on gear.otc or not Allthese factors give you a bit of leeway.However eating clean isnt just about bodybuilding , it pays a large contribution to staying healthy.

as you age and if you have a slow metabolism then i personally think you have to watch what you eat.

However lets be realistic , even eating clean doesnt mean you have to sacrifice things like ice cream , a cream cake or an occosional glass of beer Just dont let them become an everyday occurrence in your diet.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hmm I dont think there will be a difference. But eating a "clean" diet is healthier then tho other option. Also focusing on an alkaline diet can have other benifits so there is that as well. So in a short term, you wont see a difference. But long term i believe so.

Collateral

Collateral

Awards
The big difference between the two diets is that subject A would be getting a high intake of saturated fatty acids, and subject B would be getting healthy un-saturated fatty acids.

What does this mean?

Well saturated fats are mainly found in processed foods, mainly meat produce, so fast food is FULL of them. Saturated fats are extremely un-healthy if consumed on a regular basis, they increase the 'bad' cholesterol, and can put stress on the heart.

Un-saturated fats are found in such things as nuts etc, also studies have shown that un-saturated fats can lower LDL Cholesterol, and raise HDL (good) cholesterol.

How will this effect working out?

Well in the long run if subject A and B had these diets, subject one would struggle in the weights and on the cardio, his heart would be under a huge amount of pressure and his/her work outs will suffer, where as subject B would have better work outs and not be putting so much stress on the heart. Also saturated fats turn to fat quicker and are harder to burn off.

When would junk food help?

If you are an ectomorph then fast food can be good for you gain those extra few pounds of weight, but fast food packs in a vast amount of bad fats and MODERATION would be the key....

Anyway im going off a little here.... going back to the original question would subject A gain fat quicker, if both subjects were of the same gender, age, metabolic rate, size, health etc etc etc, i would say yes due to the fat content and the carb content of the dough.

Ryan​

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sat fats are good for you, gotta have them. Coconut oil anyone? Do some more research bro^

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Dont forget to take sodium into account. Also with a clean diet your getting more anti oxidants, vitamins, minerals, ect. I feel like **** after eating mcdonalds but after a 1000 calorie clean meal I feel energized and ready to take on the world.

Also am I to assume macro breakdowns are the same? Because person A would have a high fat intake so less carbs and protein getting the same calories.

AtomicFox

AtomicFox

Awards
  • Established
There is nothing wrong with saturated fat mate :)

The "myth" about saturated fats and cholesterol is old and doesn't have many studies backing it up. On the other hand there are a handful of studies that shows that saturated fats are good for you :)

AtomicFox

AtomicFox

Awards
  • Established
Actually the thing I would be most concerned about with subject 1 would be the insulin response. However, if none of them goes above baseline metabolism there shouldn't be any fat gained.

CoorsLight126

CoorsLight126

Awards
The guy eating clean would absolutely murder the other guys results in terms of physique development and body composition. Strength wise maybe not, a high fat diet seems to help a lot n gaining muscle mass

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established
The calorie is a calorie type debate is stupid. A huge difference exists in these two type of diets. The satiety, metabolic rate, and hormonal differences from these two types of eating is going to be large. That isn't really to say you can't ever cheat or whatever, but 5,000 calories of just snickers is way different than 5,000 calories of a variety of clean foods. Your body handles these types of things differently based on numerous factors (insulin, etc.)

It also tends to be an excuse for people who are looking to eat like crap. Look if you want a snickers eat a snickers. Relax a little. Just don't tell yourself you are going to optimally lose fat as long as you eat under 2500 calories so you can eat pizza and snickers up to 2500 calories worth day in and day out.

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Simply put, total calories determine how much weight you gain or lose. Your macros determine how much of it is muscle or fat...eat clean often and cheat very little=win

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
Actually I did a mini experiment on this.... I ate like a normal 22 year old would.. For two months... Pizza,wings, beer, soda, ice cream,etc,etc which I tried to keep to 2500 calories. I also worked out 4 times a week... After two months I gained 5lbs... Of mostly fat I believe cuz my waist was up 1"... Then I did really clean meals.. 2500 calories... Chicken,rice,Greek yogurt, steak, etc.... I lost 6 pounds only goin to the gym 3 days a week. But strength actually was up...

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Eating clean provides better energy. I'm not talking about the fact that a calorie is a measurement of energy. If I eat mcdonalds I need a nap, my work out sucks, and I feel pretty bad.

bodytech

Awards
lotta good points made here. i also think it depends alot on the individual. for ex my brother's body type is naturally lean and when he's tryin to gain weight that bastard can pretty much eat whatever he wants. though his weight gain is slow the fat gain is minimal. but if i eat dirty, pizza mcd's ice cream nd **** i pack on fat easy nd look like a ****box. i gotta eat clean nd watch my cals but i do gain weight much easier than he does.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
when i eat clean, its medium cals (3000), low carbs, high protein. cals come from very clean foods. chicken, tuna, eggs...etc

spimp187

Awards
When I eat clean, I use a fork instead of my hands - usually only when people come over...

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The calorie is a calorie type debate is stupid. A huge difference exists in these two type of diets. The satiety, metabolic rate, and hormonal differences from these two types of eating is going to be large. That isn't really to say you can't ever cheat or whatever, but 5,000 calories of just snickers is way different than 5,000 calories of a variety of clean foods. Your body handles these types of things differently based on numerous factors (insulin, etc.)
Precisely. Eating foods with refined sugars will often spike your insulin levels, for instance. What does that mean? FAT and BLUBBER! Trans-fats are becoming much less of a problem, but guess what? They're still present in processed fats, and these can lead to health problems down the line. On the note of fats, a lot of processed fats, fried fats, and other refined fats tend to be structurally damaged. These can develop or worsen existing arterial plaques. Lastly, "clean foods" tend to have a lot of micronutrients that help boost your metabolism, which can lead to better changes in your physique, too. Now, whether if you ate some "dirty" foods while also supplementing with a multi-vitamin and herbs would have the same effect or not might be up for debate, but why go to all that trouble, anyways?