if it fits your macros (IIFYM)

rza

Awards
whats everyones opinion of this? over on bodybuilding.com its practically gospel, but then again i've no idea how there compares to here (ie they might all be clueless). my observations of BB.com are that it seems more relaxed, with diets focusing more on getting what you need rather than eliminating what you dont, but at the same time its quite common to see things accepted over here and apparently disproved as myths over there.

anyway, if anyones not familiar with IIFYM, then basically the idea is that once you've consumed your written out macro amounts for the day (and this is based on the assumption that you're working towards amounts in grams, rather than percentage, eg 40/40/20), you might have some leftover calories (and if you dont, then IIFYM is not applicable). now this is the important bit: you can fill up those calories with whatever the hell you like, protein, fat or carb, high gi or low, even sat/trans/hydrogonated fats are fine.

it is recommended, for general wellbeing reasons, that most of your diet should still come from traditionally 'clean' sources, but if you dont care about that so much, then if you can work ice cream, big macs etc into your macros then it will not affect body compostion in any way. yes, thats right, you dont have to pay attention to types of fats and carbs.

to be honest, this sounds like a really very bad idea to me. of course, i know incredibly little compared to most of you on here, but still, i fail to see how carbs and sat/trans/hydrogonated fats together could not affect progress in any way, not to mention sugar and white stuff aswell. naturally, it would be the most awesome thing ever if this was true, but i need convincing.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its got some vague merit in that you need x grams of protein and x grams of healthy fat a day based on your weight and where the rest of your calories come from matters less, but I can't say it doesn't matter at all. if you took in for instance 250g of protein a day from chicken breasts for 1000 calories, and 100g of fats from fish, flax, olive, etc oils for 900 calories and had 1100 calories to spare, eating 7 twinkies is a ****ty way to get the rest of those calories, and done daily will impact your body composition. But having one or two twinkies once or twice a week isn't going to do that much damage.

What you have to really look at is what % of people are competing? If you aren't competing or modeling for a living, then a couple of percent difference either in body fat, or muscle gains doesn't make that much real difference either.

StangBanger

StangBanger

Awards
I subscribe to the IIFYM mentality but I am also smart about my 'fillers'... only clean foods regardless... I have it dialed in pretty well to where I dont have left over cal's. and if I go over I usually go over on healthy fats (by maybe 10g's) on non training days or a little over on Protein/carbs on training days - never by a significant amount though.

working very well for me.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you do it during your post-workout window you should be fine, yes. Otherwise you need to watch out for a food's/meal's influence on your body's insulin regulation, as having high levels of it is not ideal to fat loss, which is basically what we're talking about here. This can mean many things, such as choosing what kind of carbs you have at various times throughout the day, etc. But no, it does not boil down to simply IIFYM, it's a little more than that.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its got some vague merit in that you need x grams of protein and x grams of healthy fat a day based on your weight and where the rest of your calories come from matters less, but I can't say it doesn't matter at all. if you took in for instance 250g of protein a day from chicken breasts for 1000 calories, and 100g of fats from fish, flax, olive, etc oils for 900 calories and had 1100 calories to spare, eating 7 twinkies is a ****ty way to get the rest of those calories, and done daily will impact your body composition. But having one or two twinkies once or twice a week isn't going to do that much damage.

What you have to really look at is what % of people are competing? If you aren't competing or modeling for a living, then a couple of percent difference either in body fat, or muscle gains doesn't make that much real difference either.
Summed up perfectly.

808rebel

808rebel

Awards
I personally wouldn't buy into that. For a # of reasons.