citalopram/celexa and energy levels

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.
    Answers

citalopram/celexa and energy levels

hey guys, for the past 6-7 years ive been taking medication for anxiety (started with lexapro, then celexa, now citalopram). im in the process of trying to ween off all together (currently take cit. at 20mg EOD). since ive started doing this ive noticed that ive had WAY more energy in the gym, which is incredible... has anyone else here had energy problems with anti-depressants (as i said, i take for anxiety/attacks)? after so many years of depending on them, im scared to come off altogether, and ive noticed a slight increase in anxiety, although ive also noticed an increase in energy and certain times of well-being.... basically, is this just a coincidence? anyone with personal experience - is it worth it? im just scared that once i come off my anxiety will come back and ill be back where i started.

my doctor said i could stay on them forever, but thats not really something i want to do... and after this many years, i think its about time... basically, i just want to know if my increase energy/positive feelings have come from cutting back my dosage, or if its a coincidence.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Its not a coincidence at all. SSRI's (what you're taking) are well known to cause somnolence (lethargy). Have you had your hormones checked? Low test can cause symptoms of depression/anxiety. Doctors are too quick to treat symptoms rather than focusing on the underlying problem. I would better explore the cause of your anxiety and fix it rather then letting a doctor manage your symptoms with pills.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Oh, I forgot to mention, citalopram is the generic name for Celexa so it's the same thing. Escitalopram (Lexapro) is the racemic isomer of citalopram (Celexa) and is supposed to have less side effects than citalopram, including somnolence.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  213 lbs.
    Answers

from my experience with SSRI's, they're useless sh*t. they lower test. levels and motivation, and don't help with depression.

i'm diagnosed clinical depressive and i threw away all the meds they would feed me, in the end all i needed was a new attitude.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Any bro's here on Celexa?
    By TxHomeGrown in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-12-2010, 06:36 PM
  2. Matrix Energy - Mood Enhancing Energy Capsules
    By fatburner2007 in forum Celtic Labs
    Replies: 181
    Last Post: 12-04-2009, 10:43 PM
  3. Has anybody tried EPO to health energy levels
    By Wonderman in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-13-2008, 08:27 AM
  4. Fat Guys and Testosterone levels - effect of obesity on male hormone levels
    By SilkPhantom in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-26-2007, 02:18 AM
  5. celexa
    By corteztk1982 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-18-2003, 05:20 AM