Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Japan scientist synthesizes meat from human feces

Story by Jeff Hughes
Japan scientist synthesizes meat from human feces

It's being called the "poop burger". Japanese scientists have found a way to create artificial meat from sewage containing human feces.

Somehow this feels like a Vonnegut plotline: population boom equals food shortage. Solution? Synthesize food from human waste matter. Absurd yes, but Japanese scientists have actually discovered a way to create edible steaks from human feces.

Mitsuyuki Ikeda, a researcher from the Okayama Laboratory, has developed steaks based on proteins from human excrement. Tokyo Sewage approached the scientist because of an overabundance of sewage mud. They asked him to explore the possible uses of the sewage and Ikeda found that the mud contained a great deal of protein because of all the bacteria.

The researchers then extracted those proteins, combined them with a reaction enhancer and put it in an exploder which created the artificial steak. The “meat” is 63% proteins, 25% carbohydrates, 3% lipids and 9% minerals. The researchers color the poop meat red with food coloring and enhance the flavor with soy protein. Initial tests have people saying it even tastes like beef.

Inhabitat notes that “the meatpacking industry causes 18 percent of our greenhouse gas emissions, mostly due to the release of methane from animals.” Livestock also consume huge amounts of resources and space in efforts to feed ourselves as well as the controversy over cruelty to animals. Ikeda’s recycled poop burger would reduce waste and emissions, not to mention obliterating Dante’s circle for gluttons.

The scientists hope to price it the same as actual meat, but at the moment the excrement steaks are ten to twenty times the price they should be thanks to the cost of research. Professor Ikeda understands the psychological barriers that need to be surmounted knowing that your food is made from human feces. They hope that once the research is complete, people will be able to overlook that ugly detail in favor of perks like environmental responsibility, cost and the fact that the meat will have fewer calories.

Waste not; want not.

T50

T50

Awards
  • Established
Disgusting but i'm sure there are tons of starving people in the world that would eat it.

mylo

mylo

Awards
obviously, nothing good can come from this...

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
"the biggest problem will be the physiological barrier"......you got that right!

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
It looks like poor quality beef jerky.
So not only is it made from human feces but it's 10-20x more expensive? I'll still with top round serloin.

But going on what T50 said, when you're starving food is food. You don't care where it comes from as long as it provides nutrients.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
hmmmmm

Probably tastes like sh*t... :yumyum:

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
and people wonder why the world is full of disease/cancer/other sickness

i dont even eat wheat..... i surely wont be eating my own poo.... or your poo for that matter

D3Baseball

Awards
Fridge labeled "SHlT BURGER" @ 1:34

View attachment 40245
This. ^^

It probably could very well be better for you, but things in the world would have to change before you can get anyone willing to eat anything **** derived. Here's a better question - would people be more upset at eating something coming from ****, or coming from people? In this case, both are true.

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established
RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
This just keeps getting more interesting.

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
Wow. Ok this makes the idea of eating insects seem delicious.

(Actually a pretty cool video and solid arguments if you have the time).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6GimGZz6a8
Definitely an informative video, I think I would rather eat bugs than poop. The poop burger just has me thinking all kinds of zombie things, aka contaminated poop burger creates mad people disease (like madcow) and its TEOTWAWKI, I wonder if the scientist actually works for Umbrella.

Hustlers

Hustlers

Awards
  • Established
"Hey bro I had mexican food last night and it just tore my ass apart this morning...whaddya say, Mexican for lunch?" hahahahahahahah fn SICK!

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established
Good post, time to order me some low carb chocolate ants!
Tastes like chicken! Or at least that's what they say...you go first :)

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
that insect video was rly good. if **** hits the fan and everyone starves i want to move out to the country and raise my own crickets and caterpillars to eat

PrimiFit

Awards
I've eaten some larvae and grasshoppers and they're not bad. They have a nutty flavor when you cook them. Ants are good when eaten alive, but it seems a bit pointless because you'd have to eat half a nest to get enough :D.