What is the difference between Krill Oil and Fish Oil? What's the best?

alfred

Awards
Now I'm seeing Krill Oil pills claiming they are better than Fish Oil supplements. Currently I am taking "Triple Strength Fish Oil with Krill" pills but they are too expensive (It would be $30 a month to continue)

What is the best fish / krill oil supplement available? Is that MegaRed any good? There are just so many out there and it is overwhelming.

spimp187

Awards
I don't like these at. You want to get around 2 g EPA and 1.5 g DHA. That's why you see slot of people taking like 10 caps a day of fish oil. That product says only 1 cap per day but thats only 50 mg EPA. Do the math. So, when you shop around for fish oil, look at the amount of EPA and DHA.

Gilroye

Gilroye

Awards
Hey...
As far as i think fish oil is better than krill oil...
It has a more benefits than krill as well as cheap....
boot camp burlingame

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
In theory krill is better. In fish oil, omega-3 fatty acids are found in the triglyceride form, whereas in krill oil they are hooked up in a double chain phospholipid structure. The fats in our own cell walls are in the phospholipid form. Attached to the EPA leg of the phospholipid is a molecule of astaxanthin, an extremely potent anti-oxidant. The phospholipid structure of the EPA and DHA in krill oil makes them much more absorbable and allows for a much easier entrance into the mitochondria and the cellular nucleus. So although the EPA and DHA tend to be lower they get absorbed much better then with fish oil. It is expensive though, so you have to decide for yourself if it's really worth the money.

Some more information

http://www.livestrong.com/article/418942-is-krill-oil-better-than-taking-fish-oil/

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Krillipid balance was awesome. It hasn't been in stock for something like 4 months now and there seems to be no date when/if it will be available again.

colange2

Awards
I have been taking Carlson's liquid fish oil for a while now, and the one time I took a break from it and took krill oil (an expensive one btw), I had bad fishy burps and my stomach definitely did not like it either...