Quick rundown of Lean Gains

JayRock

Awards
So, could someone please give me a quick truncated explanation of what the Lean Gains diet is in terms of the diet, workouts, and benefits?

JayRock

Awards
what i've read so far is that it's a 16 hour fast followed by an 8 hour refeed, typically up until bedtime. On workout days complex carbs and protein should be high during the feed time, but on non workout days fats fruits and veggies should be the main macronutrients. After looking into it, and going on the website, I still can't find the answer to these three questions:
1. Is it possible to make any real muscle gains on this diet? (I know it's mainly focused on cutting bodyfat and maintaining muscle)
2. If I train early in the mornings, how ould that change my breaking the fast? I wake up at 5am, go to work til 8am, go straight to the gym around 9-10am, then go back home until 3-4pm when I go back to the office. I'm so used to having a postworkout meal within an hour after the workout.
3. Is the same fasting protocol of fasting 8 hours during sleep followed by fasting 8 hours upon waking up to be followed even on non workout days too?

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
1. Is it possible to make any real muscle gains on this diet? (I know it's mainly focused on cutting bodyfat and maintaining muscle)
If you look on the clients/testimonials page on leangains.com it's relatively obvious that many have added muscle using the protocol. I know a few members -- including myself -- who currently or previously used LG for recomposition purposes that ended up maintaining a similar weight while dropping bodyfat, indicating an increase in lean mass. Also, I think there are a few logs on here where people are using LG specifically to add mass but I'll have to search for them.

2. If I train early in the mornings, how ould that change my breaking the fast? I wake up at 5am, go to work til 8am, go straight to the gym around 9-10am, then go back home until 3-4pm when I go back to the office. I'm so used to having a postworkout meal within an hour after the workout.
Well, the bottom-line is that you want your fast to last ~16 hours. Fortunately, the "golden" post-workout window is longer than most people believe. If you wake up at 5AM, I'm assuming you stop eating at or before 9PM. If I was in your position with your schedule, I would consume BCAAs before/during/after my training session and then just wait the hour or two until 1PM (or possibly later) and consume a large meal high in protein and CHO. You could eat again before you left for the office and/or include a third meal when you returned home.

3. Is the same fasting protocol of fasting 8 hours during sleep followed by fasting 8 hours upon waking up to be followed even on non workout days too?
Yes; on a cut, you may opt to perform some light cardio on your non-workout days (e.g. brisk/incline walking) to speed up fat loss if that's your goal. But again yes, you would fast ~16 hours regardless of what you were doing that day.

Hope that helps answer your questions!

JayRock

Awards
how does LG measure up to CKD or the anabolic diet? If you can find any posts where people have added muscle while on LG, let me know. I'll be taking CJC 1295 with GHRP6 while doing LG.