Fish oil: Liquid vs. Caps?

purebred

I remember back when I was working @ Vitamin Shoppe, an entrepreneurial gentleman from Europe came in and enegaged in a discussion with me regarding the superior efficacy of caps over liquid due to his claim involving the fish oil undergoing oxidation once you open the bottle of liquid fish oil. He said with fish oil caps, you don't experience this and it preserves the quality of the fish oil, hence, preserving it's efficacy and being superior to liquid.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm currently doing research on this myself as no one I have spoken with seems to have much to say on it other than personal preference.

STPlover

STPlover

Awards
Never heard that before ... but im curious about that as I take the liquid

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It shouldn't be a problem if the fish oil in oil form was produced under proper conditions and packaged with/in vitamin E or a similar antioxidant. Similarly, a lot of manufacturers of fish oil caps think that capping gives them license to have loose standards for their production and not include protective antioxidants in the caps, thus yielding in oxidized FAs. The manufacturer matters more than if its capped or not.

EDIT: I can see this being a problem if you don't consume your fish oil supplement within like a year or two.

nerdalert

Awards
Have you tried krill oil in place of fish oil?? I made the switch and will never look back, it is a noticeable improvement.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I would only worry about not having it refrigerated but it should be potent until its expiration date. I prefer liquid and haven't had issues as long as I keep it in the fridge and consume in a timely manner.

purebred

Have you tried krill oil in place of fish oil?? I made the switch and will never look back, it is a noticeable improvement.
I've come across much talk about it and many people, such as yourself, report positive feedback. However, I have the head of concrete and I grew up on fish oil so I'm used to it. I'm not sure how conclusive the research on krill oil is but the last time I was brought up to speed about it, it was still in its early stages. Theoretically, it's better than fish oil but then again, a lot of things work miracles: in theory.

When I try the krill oil, I will create a thread specifically for it.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Liquid of course. Caps are only for travel imo. You would need to take like 12+ caps per day normally, doesn't make sense.

I use UDO 3/6/9 oil (very large bottle), and refrigerate it. It safely lasts about 2 months this way. Research UDO, it's the best. 0 oxidation during the extraction process. They have superior quality control. If supplementing omega 3's, you need to have omega 6 + 9 as well, and in the correct ratio. UDO's 3/6/9 is in the proper balance/ratio. One of the largest errors most people make is to supplement large amounts of omega 3's alone, which throws everything else out of wack and over time is not healthy.

purebred

Liquid of course. Caps are only for travel imo. You would need to take like 12+ caps per day normally, doesn't make sense.

I use UDO 3/6/9 oil (very large bottle), and refrigerate it. It safely lasts about 2 months this way. Research UDO, it's the best. 0 oxidation during the extraction process. They have superior quality control. If supplementing omega 3's, you need to have omega 6 + 9 as well, and in the correct ratio. UDO's 3/6/9 is in the proper balance/ratio. One of the largest errors most people make is to supplement large amounts of omega 3's alone, which throws everything else out of wack and over time is not healthy.
Aren't the other omegas supplied in sufficient amounts through the standard diet? I know meat has contains plenty of omega 6. I don't know of many people eats salmon and sardines every day.

Actually, I don't know any.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
all of the case studies regarding epa/dha have been based on fish oil , not krill oil .

or should i say, the lion's share studies showing benefits have been done using fish oil.

only a handful/handfuls of studies have been on krill oil

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Aren't the other omegas supplied in sufficient amounts through the standard diet? I know meat has contains plenty of omega 6. I don't know of many people eats salmon and sardines every day.

Actually, I don't know any.

If someone is supplementing with, say 10+ grams of fishoil (omega 3's) per day, the other omegas in the diet will definitely not be in the correct ratio to the omega 3 amount.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree that achieving balance is the goal of omega-3 intake. But needing a 3/6/9 source to do this is only true if you have a low fat intake, and if the fat intake is only animal based. A lot of veggie sources have n-6 and n-9s (think PUFAs in nuts [including PB], avocados, etc), and these should be more than sufficient.

purebred

If someone is supplementing with, say 10+ grams of fishoil (omega 3's) per day, the other omegas in the diet will definitely not be in the correct ratio to the omega 3 amount.
Personally, I don't buy into the whole mega-dosing thing. High doses have only been studied on folks who have a health condition--NOT healthy humans. Therefore, everything is speculation and anecdotal.

I'm currently taking Carlson's which is giving me 800mg EPA/500mg DHA + 300mg other omega 3's (which I would love to know which ones they are). This is contained in 1 teaspoon and I currently take 2 teaspoons daily in one sitting with a medicine measuring cup LOL.

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
If supplementing omega 3's, you need to have omega 6 + 9 as well, and in the correct ratio..
With todays food the way it is I don't think there is a need to add any omega 6s into your diet. With corn fed animals and refined oils some peoples 6:3 ratio is as high as 20:1.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm currently taking Carlson's which is giving me 800mg EPA/500mg DHA + 300mg other omega 3's (which I would love to know which ones they are).
My guess is it's ALA.

With todays food the way it is I don't think there is a need to add any omega 6s into your diet. With corn fed animals and refined oils some peoples 6:3 ratio is as high as 20:1.
Agreed.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Good reason to switch to free range grass fed animals, and stay away from bad food.

Which type of refined oils?

I'm trying to think of what I would eat that has high omega-6 content.
Only oils in my diet are EVOO, EVCO, butter, some sunflower oil, everything else is animal from meats and eggs, but I buy grass fed / organic most of the time, especially with eggs since they aren't all that much more expensive.

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
Good reason to switch to free range grass fed animals, and stay away from bad food.

Which type of refined oils?

I'm trying to think of what I would eat that has high omega-6 content.
Only oils in my diet are EVOO, EVCO, butter, some sunflower oil, everything else is animal from meats and eggs, but I buy grass fed / organic most of the time, especially with eggs since they aren't all that much more expensive.
Great that you eat organic meats. If I could afford it right now then I definitely would be. I really could go for some buffalo hunting right now.

For the oils, even olive oil has a high omega 6 content. Per tbsp it has 1318mg omega 6 and only 103 mg omega 3. For sunflower oil its 505mg:27mg 6:3. This is according to nutritiondata.com. Since you're already eating organic meats I wouldn't worry about it.

Here's an interesting quiz John Meadows put up on Tnation.
1) Which oil has the worst Omega 6 to 3 ratio? A)Soybean Oil B)Safflower Oil C)Corn oil

2) Which oil has the best ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3? A) Flax seed oil B) Hemp seed oil C) Almond Oil

3) Which oil has the highest % of monounsaturated fatty acids A) Olive oil B) Avocado oil C) Macadamia nut oil

4) Which oil has a crappy Omega 6 to 3 ratio, but has some unknown antioxidants that make it pretty heat stable? A) Coconut oil B) High oleic safflower C) Sesame oil

5) Which oil's Omega 3 is is partially lost due to the processing it goes through? A) Canola oil B) Flax seed oil C) Walnut Oil

6) Which oil is very similar to Flax oil and is found in Korean food stores? A) Rice bran oil B) Perilla seed oil C) Hazlenut oil

Answers are: B B C C A B

purebred

Anymore thoughts on the initial claim?:
superior efficacy of caps over liquid due to his claim involving the fish oil undergoing oxidation once you open the bottle of liquid fish oil. He said with fish oil caps, you don't experience this and it preserves the quality of the fish oil, hence, preserving it's efficacy and being superior to liquid.