5 good meals aday enough?

Pika

Awards
Hi guys im just woundering.... Im not looking in to any bodybulding job or anythin i just want to get lean

I was told 4 meals aday can be enogh ?? I was thinking this ..

8 am meal 1 .... 5 eggs 3 yolks 5 whites 80g of weetabix

12 pm meal 2 ..... 80g of oats with 120g of tunna

330pm meal 3 .... 240g steak with 100g beans

Then gym

630pm meal 4 ..... 400g of chicken with brown bred and some veg

9pm meal 5 ..... 200g of cottage cheese with beans??

See im 180bls and i dont look that big i mean my friend is 160bls and looks way bigger ?? More lean

I took a weight gainer twice more then i should the guy at the store lied! I gained 2 stone in like 3 months most of it is fat! I was comsuming 5000cals aday!! At 150bls or soo ( i dont look fat but i got it ) i look bulky for sure

Anyways just woundering will this be ok? Im going to be doin 20 mins cardio before everywork

drvinnybombat

Awards
Without going crazy with diet stuff, the key is to eat every 3 hours. Don't go 4 if it's possible. Just eat something every 3, even if it's a protein shake or glass of milk. Once you establish a constant metabolism, you'll be well off.

colange2

Awards
You should probably start to replace some of those carbs (oats, bread) with some more vegetables like broccoli and kale if you are really trying to get lean...Eating every 2-3 hours or so like bombat suggested also seems to help, even though some people do fine on larger, less frequent meals...

Histrionics

Awards
Your daily macros is all that's important, whether one meal or ten. There are no benefits to eating several times a day as opposed to one unless it's convenient for you.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Without going crazy with diet stuff, the key is to eat every 3 hours. Don't go 4 if it's possible. Just eat something every 3, even if it's a protein shake or glass of milk. Once you establish a constant metabolism, you'll be well off.
sorry,total horse crap. No evidence anywhere that any number of meals more than 2 has any difference in metabolic effect. I will say that for some people the mental aspect of x number of meals vs y number may make a mental difference but no physical difference.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
lol somebody missed the huge leangains thread

Pika

Awards
Thanks for the reply, guys .. So what your saying is it don't matter how many meals i eat aday?? Huh lol?? I tjink it does right

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
It depends on how you feel.
If eat every 4-5hrs i'll be hungry in 2-3 no matter if i ate 500cals or 2000cals.
So i do a large breakfast(650-700cals)and avg 250-300 for snacks and 400-500lunch
400-500 dinner and 225-300 pre bed
This is my recovery plan with little training in morning its about 2400cals
On full blown training days i eat 9x smaller meals but works well hits about 2900-3100cals which wasn't enough lost muscle and overreached.Yet again!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the reply, guys .. So what your saying is it don't matter how many meals i eat aday?? Huh lol?? I tjink it does right
1 meal is a bit iffy in terms of getting and digesting enough protein, but at 2 meals or more it only matters psychologically. It definitely is easier for some people to mentally deal with having more smaller meals, but in terms of body composition + metabolism it makes 0 difference.

Pika

Awards
Easy i wanna no how tu uno so much **** ?? Lol 4 real bro ... Im wanting to lose abit of bf like 2 3 pounds at the mommemt ... So im doing cardio 10 mins after and 10 mins before workout 5 days aweek il be eating around 2500

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
its because i'm a software developer so I approach things methodically and logically, and I have spare time on my hands :) I've learned how to weed out studies that although they maybe worked for someone to get their PHD don't mean anything from a practical perspective, which is critical, as there are so many conflicting studies.

drvinnybombat

Awards
Yeah, I didn't mention macros at all. You cant eat 6 meals of Snickers Bars. But I really can't go along with the 1-2 meals a day thing. I'm not a nutritionist or anything, but I am in good shape. And I have heard about loading up on 2 big clean meals by some really strong guys, so I'm not saying it's total BS.

But those strong guys were fat. Fat, fat, fat. Deadlifting 600 easily is pretty awesome, but not when you're kinda sloppy fat. IDK, it's just the only empirical evidence I have is this hand full of guys.

Can someone please shoot me some links or testimony on the 1-2 meals thing? I can't trust the evidence I have so far.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I didn't mention macros at all. You cant eat 6 meals of Snickers Bars. But I really can't go along with the 1-2 meals a day thing. I'm not a nutritionist or anything, but I am in good shape. And I have heard about loading up on 2 big clean meals by some really strong guys, so I'm not saying it's total BS.

But those strong guys were fat. Fat, fat, fat. Deadlifting 600 easily is pretty awesome, but not when you're kinda sloppy fat. IDK, it's just the only empirical evidence I have is this hand full of guys.

Can someone please shoot me some links or testimony on the 1-2 meals thing? I can't trust the evidence I have so far.
1 meal is very wishy washy, as there are issues with partial protein absorption when you are trying to get all of your days protein in 1 meal. I guess the better question is show me a study where 6 meals a day provides any benefit other than psychological over 2 or 3 :) But read the current article here for a bit of info on it
http://www.leangains.com/

or this study is pretty good, showing no difference from 3-6

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985?ordinalpos=&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.SmartSearch&log$=citationsensor

Pika

Awards
When i start my firsr cycle after christmaa you are the only guy im asking for advice easy bro for sure

Exercise123

Awards

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&DbFrom=pmc&Cmd=Link&LinkName=pmc_pubmed&LinkReadableName=PubMed&IdsFromResult=2278544&ordinalpos=1&itool=PPMCLayout.PPMCAppController.PPMCArticlePage.PPMCDiscoveryDbLinks

Here's some reason to choose 2 meals over more than 2-3+

MPS needs to hit baseline in order to be restarted, opposed to a consistent level of protein consumption

Pika

Awards
Wow thanks for that bro , im so confused because hoelw can sny1 get up to 2500 csls aday of only eating 2 meals i don't get it?? Things keep changing lol

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
It is pretty much totally up to you. I enjoy multi meals a day so that is what I do.

Pika

Awards
Wel id pefer bt tu eat at all lol id love tu hav maccy everyday haa lol na but sure 2 mesls aday is not enuff lol

Kutrik

Awards
I think only one or two meal use in a day. This is best for every body. If we use more meals in a day then we face problems.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow thanks for that bro , im so confused because hoelw can sny1 get up to 2500 csls aday of only eating 2 meals i don't get it?? Things keep changing lol
well thats 1200-1300 calories per meal, and shooting for near 100g protein per meal right? so for a meal example

16oz flank steak - 106g protein, 32g fat, 735 calories
sweet potato 1 cup cubed up, cooked, mashed 37g carbs, 4g protein 162 calories
1/8 cup honey mixed with the potato 41g carbs, 152 calories
1 oz pecans mixed into the potato 20g fat, 4g carb, 3g protein 193 calories
1 cup broccoli 10g carbs, 6g protein 52 calories

so you've got 119g protein, 92g carbs (less the fiber, so more like 75-80), and 52g fats with a total of 1294 calories.

Pika

Awards
Ok so what your saying is 2 meals aday is fine? I thought every1 had to eat every 3 hours becsuse your body needs to refuil lol so confusin man lol wgat bwt breakfast?? What bwt after workout ? Post meal pre workour meal? Night time meal

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
so long as you get the calories + protein from solid foods, it doesn't matter from 2 meals to however many.

More meals can be helpful mentally, in that when bulking some people have a hard time trying to take in 1500-2000 calories in each of 2 meals so breaking it up is simpler mentally. And when cutting, its sometimes mentally helpful to have the meals be frequent so you are always just a little hungry, never totally feeling empty and starving hungry. But as far as muscle growth/fat loss goes, eating the # of meals that fits your lifestyle and is convenient for you is all that matters.

Pika

Awards
Oh right ok so i was thinking can you give me 2 meals on a lean gain im trying to lean put abit losing bodyfat is hard lol im starting 10 min cardio and 10 min cardio after workout aswell

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, you've got one up above there. Then for another you could do 2 chicken breasts, a cup of rice, a banana and some source of healthy fats.

Pika

Awards
Ok so Wgen you think its best to take them meals?? What bowt shakes??

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
2-3 hours before your workout if it makes sense, and then 6 or 7 hours later more or less. Or break it into 3 meals. Shakes just aren't important if you get enough solid whole food in, but they don't particularly hurt.

Exercise123

Awards
1. I certainly feel it is tough trying to convert back to 4+ meals a day after eating only 2 meals. After experiencing the psychological pleasure from two large meals, it is tough, I guess psychologically to adjust back to multiple small meals, imo.

2. For those who choose 2 meals, do you or continue with only 2 meals during a cut?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It depends on how you feel.
If eat every 4-5hrs i'll be hungry in 2-3 no matter if i ate 500cals or 2000cals.
So i do a large breakfast(650-700cals)and avg 250-300 for snacks and 400-500lunch
400-500 dinner and 225-300 pre bed
This is my recovery plan with little training in morning its about 2400cals
On full blown training days i eat 9x smaller meals but works well hits about 2900-3100cals which wasn't enough lost muscle and overreached.Yet again!
Not only do you have a few threads about this, your posting about it in others threads? Come on man.

Btw easy knows his stuff.

Pika

Awards
If you read my threds its around duffrent topics man n i no easy knows his **** dat y i always ask him but yh fanks4 ya help again easy ima switch it to 2 large meals and breakfast i normal eat 7 meals aday lol thanks

Pika

Awards
Lmao bro i thought you was talking about me!! Haha! Sorry man

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
If you read my threds its around duffrent topics man n i no easy knows his **** dat y i always ask him but yh fanks4 ya help again easy ima switch it to 2 large meals and breakfast i normal eat 7 meals aday lol thanks
Sorry bro, but... WHAT? Couldn't understand jack sh!t of that message.

raptor20561

Awards
some people respond better to eating more smaller meals due to food cravings, but once you get used to having 2-3 large meals a day + whey its not that bad. the cravings go away after about 5-7 days (for me at least).

Pika

Awards
Im going to give it a try i got college thesse year abd 7 meals aday aint possbile! Lol

Im just abit confused on how to prepare my food .. Pancakes in mash? Lmfao!!

Just need to sort out what im going to eat and how id do 3 meals aday