How to get more calories?

Atreyubeat

Atreyubeat

Awards
Okay folks, here is a quick breakdown:

1.) Need more calories, clean calories throughout the day
2.) Already intaking 2 servings of VPX's Stealth Mass Gainer, comes out to be around 1,000+ calories, and around 150+ carbs
3.) Along with my regular 4 meals a day, I eat around 2,500+ calories in those meals, along with around 150+ carbs
4.) Total is usually around 3,000-3,500+ calories a day, and 300g's of carbs a day.

I am on a bit of a budget being in the military here, and I am sick and tired of blowing through massive amounts of weight gainers. Any good MRP's out there for a decent price? One I have been looking at:

Golden Gains - Controlled Labs

Or any decent whole foods that aren't going to give me a huge spike in carbohydrate intake in between my meals. I am trying to shoot for over 4,000+ calories a day. We run, and lift twice a day, and I am constantly on the go, so my metabolism is moving for sure. Any help or advice would be great. I know, just start shoveling more food down, but I am trying to get something I can eat on the go, and keep with me, and affordable would be great to. I keep my diet on point, lean meats, veggies 3-4 times a day, same thing with fruits. Just trying to find a cheaper alternative to buying ridiculous amounts of protein bars in between my meals.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
two words brother. Peanut and Butter.

Hawk

Hawk

Awards
  • Established
Almonds. I eat the planters natural harvest. 25 of 'em is around 175cals IIRC.

You can add some extra virgin olive oil to your shakes or just take some shots.

Muscle Feasts LWG looks good.

ETA: Desk food.
[/URL][/IMG]

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I used to make my own high cal shakes out of peanut butter, milk, eggs, oat flour (or ground oats), milled flax seed, and sometimes I added yogurt and/or bananas. I know some guys will add dextrose or waxy maize as well.

As far as portable, I used to eat a lot of almonds, boiled eggs, and actually made my own jerky and protein muffins (the recipe for the muffins is around here somewhere).

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Almonds. I eat the planters natural harvest. 25 of 'em is around 175cals IIRC.

You can add some extra virgin olive oil to your shakes or just take some shots.

Muscle Feasts LWG looks good.

ETA: Desk food.
[/URL][/IMG]

you need to trade that jif in for the real thing man.

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Whole milk.
Natural peanut butter.
Throw olive on foods, like eggs or chicken.
Put heavy whipping cream in your protein shakes.

Increase your consumption of those food sources and youll hit 4k+ calories easily.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know, just start shoveling more food down, but I am trying to get something I can eat on the go, and keep with me
Anymore suggestions for this guys?

Atreyubeat

Atreyubeat

Awards
Roger, I have those same things, lol. I have to stay away from milk, which I hate, because I am lactose intolerant. So I have just been slamming shakes, eating a lot of oats, and a serving of natty PB with each bowl. Hmm, what is this Evco? I have seen this around on the forums, what does this mean? Like I said, I know the principles, I have been lifting for a little bit, and diet to me, is the most important part. Anyone use any MRP's or bars or anything in between meals to get extra calories in?

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I believe evco = extra virgin coconut oil.

TheKanezzi

Awards
When I need to pack on the calories, and I need something portable I bake mini loaves of bread. Cheap, easy (to make and to eat,) and you can really rack up the calories with them. Adding stuff like PB, evoo, meat, ect will really make a huge boost in cals also

Good Luck!

Atreyubeat

Atreyubeat

Awards
When I need to pack on the calories, and I need something portable I bake mini loaves of bread. Cheap, easy (to make and to eat,) and you can really rack up the calories with them. Adding stuff like PB, evoo, meat, ect will really make a huge boost in cals also

Good Luck!
Sounds like a good idea. I just don't like the idea of throwing that added fat into my diet, but right now I am willing to try anything different. As much as we work, and lift, I can only grow, ;).

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Grind some oats up as a powder, put some whey and oat powder dry into your shaker, then bring some fruit and nuts with you. Easy to add and subtract with this, all portable. just add water. Its what i do for school

Atreyubeat

Atreyubeat

Awards
Alright boys and girls, I went out to my least favorite place in the world, and grabbed me some top sirloin steak, some more of my favorite chicken tenderloins, more sala,d some more fruit, natty PB, and some Olive Oil. Just cooked that steak, and wow....it was so good. Anyways, I will try this out and see if I get any improvements over the next few weeks, :). Thanks for the information all.

*Note: I chose Olive oil over the Coconut due to the Saturated Fat content. Kind of want to stay away from that at this time of my life, ;).

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Alright boys and girls, I went out to my least favorite place in the world, and grabbed me some top sirloin steak, some more of my favorite chicken tenderloins, more sala,d some more fruit, natty PB, and some Olive Oil. Just cooked that steak, and wow....it was so good. Anyways, I will try this out and see if I get any improvements over the next few weeks, :). Thanks for the information all.

*Note: I chose Olive oil over the Coconut due to the Saturated Fat content. Kind of want to stay away from that at this time of my life, ;).
No, you want the saturated fat. Not only is the particular fat in EVCO primarily MCT's, but saturated fat is critical for hormone production.

Pezz

Awards
No, you want the saturated fat. Not only is the particular fat in EVCO primarily MCT's, but saturated fat is critical for hormone production.
Very interesting, i'll be looking for some tomorrow. Have this in any major grocery store?

azbetterman

Awards
I read that coconut oil was usefull in 'losing weight' not gaing weight... because it digested easier and your body makes better use of it than other fats/oils.

(quote from organicfacts net)
Coconut oil is very useful in reducing weight. It contains short and medium-chain fatty acids that help in taking off excessive weight. It is also easy to digest and it helps in healthy functioning of the thyroid and enzymes systems. Further, it increases the body metabolism by removing stress on pancreases, thereby burning out more energy and helping obese and overweight people reduce their weight. Hence, people living in tropical coastal areas, who eat coconut oil daily as their primary cooking oil, are normally not fat, obese or overweight.

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
Im in the same boat.

I'd like to add around 200-300cals during day.
Im 33 at 182lb 10.4%(3 days ago 180.6 10.8%)
So im doing what yous say can't be done by building muscle and losing fat.
I also train 2x a day.
So im building muscle but running out of energy during day so should carbs be added or fat.
I say this because i know pro builds muscle and carbs and fat give ya energy.My carb intake now is around 360-380g I also im not a bodybuilder or want to be im traing in kickboxing so my training is based on that.
Only mod cardio i do is swimming on sat mornings.

Rest is all high int. (hillsprints,box-jumps/sprints,prowler,sled-drags,heavy-bag,ect)all done above 75%h/r usally 85% for duration with higher durning effort.

Atreyubeat

Atreyubeat

Awards
Im in the same boat.

I also train 2x a day.
So im building muscle but running out of energy during day so should carbs be added or fat.
I say this because i know pro builds muscle and carbs and fat give ya energy.My carb intake now is around 360-380g I also im not a bodybuilder or want to be im traing in kickboxing so my training is based on that.

Rest is all high int. (hillsprints,box-jumps/sprints,prowler,sled-drags,heavy-bag,ect)all done above 75%h/r usally 85% for duration with higher durning effort.
For me, I would say give yourself two options. Either throw in a pre-workout, or up the carbs. You run off of carbs, so if you aren't able to train hard enough and long enough, that may be an issue. Complex carbs unless you are trying to take them around your workouts, then I get my simple carbs from fruits along with my protein shakes and such. Fats are going to be just as important, I am trying to get my fats from fish oils, natty PB, and Olive Oil. Try to hit all of the bases.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Im in the same boat.

I also train 2x a day.

One thing to remember is that it takes time to adjust to the increase workload regardless of your calories. Give it some time. You also have never mentioned your total macros; you always only mention the carbs.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For me, I would say give yourself two options. Either throw in a pre-workout, or up the carbs. You run off of carbs, so if you aren't able to train hard enough and long enough, that may be an issue. Complex carbs unless you are trying to take them around your workouts, then I get my simple carbs from fruits along with my protein shakes and such. Fats are going to be just as important, I am trying to get my fats from fish oils, natty PB, and Olive Oil. Try to hit all of the bases.
A pre-WO would not be a good idea since most of them raise BP and limit VO2. Also, your body does not run off of carbs; it runs off of glucose. Your body can make glucose from all three macronutrients.

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
Im not to sure but hers's breakdown.
wake-up
20g pro(whey)+train

breakfast
3eggwhites/yolk=15g pro
1tsb flax(15g fat)
1c oj(20g carb)
1/3c oats(35-40carbs)
2tsp brown sugar(12carbs)
pro=40g
fat=25g
carbs=75g

snack
100g chicken breast=25pro/1fat
2 oatcakes=25 carbs/2fat
bananna=30carbs

lunch
200 tuna=60pro/3fat
2 slices spouted bread=30carbs/10pro/1fat
1tsp sunflower seeds=?6fat
olive-oil spead=6fat
salad=8carbs

snack
mrp=22pro/25carbs/2fat
apple=20carbs

pre-workout/training
100g chicken=25/1
2oatcakes=25carbs/2fat

dinner
150g fish=25pro/1fat
rice,potatoe,ect(complex)=40carbs
veggies=15-20carbs

snack
2 oatcakes=15carbs/1fat
veggies=5carbs
cheese=2pro/4fat

bedtime
150g cottage-cheese

total
protein=281
fat=108
carbs=268
est...around 3055cals

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No way that is anywhere near 100g of fat. Everything after lunch is less than 10g per serving. You need to add in at least 15-20g of fat per meal.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
leave the yolks in your eggs, smear some natural peanut butter on your oatcake snacks, theres your 200-300 cals

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
Already thought of that.
I just needed to know for all my high int. training what would be a better fuel source.
For during day and training/lifting.
I thank you's all for helping me!

I have access to everything food/supplements,ect but don't want to realy on supps other then muti,whey, bcaa,crack,(kidding)
Thought carbs and fat together was kidda bad?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You need more calories. Period. You should focus on getting that before you start to overanalyze which substrate will be best.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So long as you aren't mixing vegetable oil with high fructose corn syrup, carbs + fats are fine together. And rodja is 100% right, the macro ratio is almost inconsequential if you are getting it from whole foods and hit minimum fat + protein threshholds. But to gain mass, you need more calories

malleus25

malleus25

Awards
Foods to get at the commisary...Big Boxes of eggs, Natty PB, Milk (Almond Milk if lactose intolerant), evoo, crap loads of canned tuna and chicken in water, fruit, nuts, big tubes of old fashioned oats, round eye steak (cheap and just enough fat). These are what you need on a military budget and lots of them all of these can be portable I know I always had food on me eighter in the field or garrison.

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
I knew it was something on that line.
Think i try olive oil in salad at lunch this week and next do p/b on oatcakes.

Thanks guys for your wisdom..

Kelvin

Awards
Hi Atreyubeat,
List of food to get more calories.
Apple with skin,
Banana,
Strawberries,
Carrots,
Raw broccoli,
Cheddar cheese,
Nut and almonds,
Raw celery.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
im not attacking you personally ,but, i dont agree. we disagree alot :D

the diminishing returns for cholesterol/saturated fat induced Test elevation comes pretty quick and at a pretty low level.

ive said this before in other posts, but, last year i stopped doing drugs for two weeks and fasted from smoking dojah for 14 hours, all while not working out for 3 months and my Test came back at 828 out of a 240-800 range.

and i wasnt eating whole eggs and coconut oil. i was eating pizza, sonic, and whatever was around the house like doritos and milk duds.

maybe ONE tablespoon of EVCO wouldnt be bad......but i wouldnt make 12g of saturated fat/serving a normal thing to be eating......may as well be eating 80% ground meat . MCT calories don't 'not count'.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
but, to the Op, its amazing that you need ideas for getting more calories. i WISH that was my problem.

maybe you just need to hit the B before you eat. i GUARANTEE you end up eating alot more than you want lol!

eat tons of chunk chicken out the can ( 1.98 at walmart for like 55g protein, not bad)
naturally more peanut butter- although im kinda bummed they changed the recipe,
spaghetti , a few glasses of skim milk
bananas,strawberries
5whole eggs/day

buy containers of honey roasted peanuts and eat it out the bottle. one of those containers has 2400 cals.. for 2bucks ....you'll eat alot more than what you intended, i promise.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

the diminishing returns for cholesterol/saturated fat induced Test elevation comes pretty quick and at a pretty low level.

ive said this before in other posts, but, last year i stopped doing drugs for two weeks and fasted from smoking dojah for 14 hours, all while not working out for 3 months and my Test came back at 828 out of a 240-800 range.

and i wasnt eating whole eggs and coconut oil. i was eating pizza, sonic, and whatever was around the house like doritos and milk duds.

maybe ONE tablespoon of EVCO wouldnt be bad......but i wouldnt make 12g of saturated fat/serving a normal thing to be eating......may as well be eating 80% ground meat . MCT calories don't 'not count'.
Your post absolutely makes no sense. How the hell is that supposed to be evidence of anything?

WorkingClass

WorkingClass

Awards
Roger, I have those same things, lol. I have to stay away from milk, which I hate, because I am lactose intolerant. So I have just been slamming shakes, eating a lot of oats, and a serving of natty PB with each bowl. Hmm, what is this Evco? I have seen this around on the forums, what does this mean? Like I said, I know the principles, I have been lifting for a little bit, and diet to me, is the most important part. Anyone use any MRP's or bars or anything in between meals to get extra calories in?
Have you tried powdered milk? I know its got lactose, but I know a couple guys that can't touch milk but can down powdered mild no prob. Or even try fat free milk maybe. That sucks I was going to suggest mixing the powdered with the regular lol. How about apples and peanut butter, boiled eggs, olive oil on and in EVERYTHING. You could also bake up your own bars real cheap.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
but, to the Op, its amazing that you need ideas for getting more calories. i WISH that was my problem.

maybe you just need to hit the B before you eat. i GUARANTEE you end up eating alot more than you want lol!

eat tons of chunk chicken out the can ( 1.98 at walmart for like 55g protein, not bad)
naturally more peanut butter- although im kinda bummed they changed the recipe,
spaghetti , a few glasses of skim milk
bananas,strawberries
5whole eggs/day

buy containers of honey roasted peanuts and eat it out the bottle. one of those containers has 2400 cals.. for 2bucks ....you'll eat alot more than what you intended, i promise.
Man that stuff is the bomb! How has the formula been changed? Maybe I never had the older one, I only discovered it about a year ago.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established

the diminishing returns for cholesterol/saturated fat induced Test elevation comes pretty quick and at a pretty low level. - meaning you don't need to go out of your way by eating spoonfuls of saturated fat to get optimal hormone production

and i wasnt eating whole eggs and coconut oil - or a high saturated fat diet - just eating normal and obviously my levels were pretty close to optimal. i was eating pizza, sonic, and whatever was around the house like doritos and milk duds.

maybe ONE tablespoon of EVCO wouldnt be bad......but i wouldnt make 12g of saturated fat/serving a normal thing to be eating......may as well be eating 80% ground meat . MCT calories don't 'not count' - if you're going to eat saturated fat, you may as well get some protein with it. also, just because they are MCTs, the calories do count, regardless to whether they are burned off more quickly as energy.
Your post absolutely makes no sense. How the hell is that supposed to be evidence of anything?
i bolded for ya brah. just remember to 'sound out' the words if you don't understand.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you realize that very specifically everything you mentioned is fairly high in saturated fats dont you?

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
you realize that very specifically everything you mentioned is fairly high in saturated fats dont you?
doritos - 3g saturated fat

chicken strip sandwich from sonic - 3g saturated fat

milk duds - saturated fat 2.5g

granted, the pizza i ate had a decent level due to the cheese ( 5g/serving), but, the whole point of the story is that no one needs to consume straight oil to get enough saturated fat for optimal saturated fat intake. all of the stuff listed equals out to nearly the same saturated fat content as ONE tablespoon of coconut oil.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
also keep in mind i didnt have pizza every day, and i also ate normal food that wasnt as high in saturated fat as what i listed. hopefully that was implied.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
doritos - 3g saturated fat

chicken strip sandwich from sonic - 3g saturated fat

milk duds - saturated fat 2.5g

granted, the pizza i ate had a decent level due to the cheese ( 5g/serving), but, the whole point of the story is that no one needs to consume straight oil to get enough saturated fat for optimal saturated fat intake. all of the stuff listed equals out to nearly the same saturated fat content as ONE tablespoon of coconut oil.

the saturated fat in coconut oil is an MCT though. Bit different than doritos and milk duds, lol.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I could have bolded your whole post because it was just crap, brah. You abstain from drugs, which in and of itself will help with test levels, and without any pre-tests, your post-test is nil. You also failed to realize that most of those foods are high in saturated fats and also trans fats.

At no point did I say that MCT calories do not count, but you get the dual effect of thyroid stimulation and additional clean calories.