Very skinny , but still a little chub?

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey I'm about 5'9 150 - pretty skinny, but yet i still hold a decent amount of fat in my stomach especially the lower abs.....any idea why this woudl be? I drinka decent amount of diet soda, is that a possibility?

I have also recently heard about corisol maybe having this effect....any chance that could be a possiblity? i dunno its jsut worrying me cuz im tryin to builk up and im skinny mostly everywhere else but there so its liek i wanna do cardio to burn it off but I wana get bigger.....

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
What is your diet/training like? Examine that first. If you are worried about cort you could just take vit. c tabs.

Artdawg

Awards
Diet sodas still spike your insulin, and if you combine that with any type of carb it will signal your body to store fat, and your lower abdomen is the last reserve tank in your body where fat will be lost usually, for women its the side of the hips, force your body to use that fat up w cardio, stay loaded with bcaa and fish oils to prevent muscle loss and ending up with a higher fat to muscle ratio thus working against your goal instead of progressing. Stay on water if you can. G luck.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
thanks! gonna have to try and cut m diet soda habit i guess :-(.......... how much cardio and what kind would u recomend cuz im tryn to bulk but wanna burn that fat

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What is your diet/training like? Examine that first. If you are worried about cort you could just take vit. c tabs.

i eat around 300g protein 300g carbs 100g fat a day....still not gaining but still have that littl chub, so i dunno....worout 5 days a week....off days usually do sum cardio

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if you had that before you started bulking, then I wouldn't worry about it for now, work on adding muscle and once you have a decent base and are in the 170s range then go for cutting the fat. Trying to do both at once will mean you do a crappy job of both.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Being skinny does not mean having low body fat. Just because your 150 does not mean your sub 9%.

I would Just lean bulk in your situation.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
alipers get me at around 6 or less actually....those dumb handheld things say like 7.5%

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Looks like your body just likes to hold fat there. I am the same way with lower abs. Putting more muscle on will Counter this. Clean bulk and stay in low bf while putting a few lbs on.

Genetics are a bitch my friend, 7%bf is low and even just a few more pounds of muscle will be very noticeable.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yea......it stinks haha , id rather be biggerwith jsut a little bit of abs then completely ripped but only 150 right now anyways lol

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
Diet sodas still spike your insulin, and if you combine that with any type of carb it will signal your body to store fat, and your lower abdomen is the last reserve tank in your body where fat will be lost usually, for women its the side of the hips, force your body to use that fat up w cardio, stay loaded with bcaa and fish oils to prevent muscle loss and ending up with a higher fat to muscle ratio thus working against your goal instead of progressing. Stay on water if you can. G luck.
do you have a reference for the inpact on glycemia?

havent seen one... maybe i didnt search hard enough

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i have the same problem. im lean everywhere else (size i am happy with for now) but i have a bloated look to my stomach. this is what Im doing and im seeing some progress.

Supplements
Black Cats, Body Mortar (and the whole triangle stack cause im logging it)

Im training as if im bulking, but my diet is very lean with high protein, little carb intake at night.

cardio is about 4x a week in forms of sprints, stairmaster, jump rope, punching bag. if this mild cut does not get my stomach to where it was two years ago, then i will go on an all out cut with cardio 6x a week and longer duration of it as well. i cant really change my diet. its perfect right now. very lean, high protein foods.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
do you have a reference for the inpact on glycemia?

havent seen one... maybe i didnt search hard enough
I've seen literature supporting that, but it only happens to cause insulin spikes in 25% of people more or less, not everyone.

freefall365

freefall365

Awards
  • Established
^^ yeah i've seen claims that artifical sweeteners will spike insulin in some people...

wish i knew if i was one of them! love me some stevia, splenda, etc etc.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yea... i cant have my oatmeal without sum splenda! YUM!!!look forward to it every morning

Im trying t bulk though so I wanna do cardio to liek try to move that fat from my stomach but at the same tiem i wanna get bigger.....what im doin right now is lifitn 5 days and doin liek 30 min cardio at around 120-140 bpm heart rate so little lower intensity on off days......how does that sound?

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ive also been doin like no carbs on off days since im doin cardio in hope of brrning the fat.... i replace all carb calories with fat....healthy fats of course (eggs, oil)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yea... i cant have my oatmeal without sum splenda! YUM!!!look forward to it every morning

Im trying t bulk though so I wanna do cardio to liek try to move that fat from my stomach but at the same tiem i wanna get bigger.....what im doin right now is lifitn 5 days and doin liek 30 min cardio at around 120-140 bpm heart rate so little lower intensity on off days......how does that sound?
it sounds like you aren't going to bulk very fast, or lose the fat very fast.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
it sounds like you aren't going to bulk very fast, or lose the fat very fast.
y woudl i not lose the fat?

I could see why u woudl say i wouln get big very fast cuz im doing cardio ( im guessing) but y not lose the fat? I dont wanna get real big real fast cuz of summer, but i still thnk I can steadily bulk up...or no?

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Cals in vs. Cals out my friend. If you want to gain muscle you need to be in a surplus and to loose fat you must be in a deficit. Hard to eat to much and to little at the same time.

Recomp imho means lean bulk. Put muscle on slow but with no fat and after a while you just cut a little bit. It's hard to clean bulk diet wise though.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
y woudl i not lose the fat?

I could see why u woudl say i wouln get big very fast cuz im doing cardio ( im guessing) but y not lose the fat? I dont wanna get real big real fast cuz of summer, but i still thnk I can steadily bulk up...or no?
you can flip flop back and forth a week at a time between cutting + bulking if you want, but it will be slow. if you are still in your first 6 months of training you might be able to add some muscle while losing fat but otherwise its very difficult, and very slow. so pick one goal or the other - a certain bodyfat or a certain size, get to that goal, then work on the other.in your shoes, i'd go for a lean light bulk rather than losing bodyfat as adding some muscle will make it easier to get rid of the fat later.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yea.... like i said earlier id rather be 170 with a lil chub right now anyways

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
Cals in vs. Cals out my friend. If you want to gain muscle you need to be in a surplus and to loose fat you must be in a deficit. Hard to eat to much and to little at the same time.

Recomp imho means lean bulk. Put muscle on slow but with no fat and after a while you just cut a little bit. It's hard to clean bulk diet wise though.
not tru, Check out the movie FATHEAD ... its on netflix. he disproves that theory pretty diligently.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
not tru, Check out the movie FATHEAD ... its on netflix. he disproves that theory pretty diligently.
Except not scientificly,so meaningless. A nutitionist proved you could lose fat on an all twinkie diet too.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
Except not scientificly,so meaningless. A nutitionist proved you could lose fat on an all twinkie diet too.
was it a controlled study no.. but was it meaningless definetly not.

i ate above maintenance on my diet and dropped bodyfat. did i prove it scientifically no. meaningless? not to me.

you can only prove nutrition scientifically when applied to you IMO

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Body fat can be droped % wise by adding more muscle than fat. If you gain 10 lbs of muscle and no fat but have not lost any fat. The percent of fat on your body is lower even though it is the same amount. I hope I said that clear enough. Also I am taking about losing fat not losing weight they are not the same.

I saw a woman lose something like 50 lbs on the taco bell diet. It does not mean eating tacobell will help with weight loss.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
Body fat can be droped % wise by adding more muscle than fat. If you gain 10 lbs of muscle and no fat but have not lost any fat. The percent of fat on your body is lower even though it is the same amount. I hope I said that clear enough. Also I am taking about losing fat not losing weight they are not the same.

I saw a woman lose something like 50 lbs on the taco bell diet. It does not mean eating tacobell will help with weight loss.
then technically if

180 lbs with 10%bodyfat 18 lbs fat

172 LBM

gain 20 lbs... 200 lbs 10% bodyfat

180 lbm but added 2 lbs bodyfat and 8 lbs muscle

by staying the same bodyfat you technically add bodyfat. to be technical mathematically

all im saying is it doesnt always pan out that way.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
was it a controlled study no.. but was it meaningless definetly not.

i ate above maintenance on my diet and dropped bodyfat. did i prove it scientifically no. meaningless? not to me.

you can only prove nutrition scientifically when applied to you IMO

and how did u do that exactly?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've seen literature supporting that, but it only happens to cause insulin spikes in 25% of people more or less, not everyone.
It's probably linked to the fact that part of the body's response to food is reliant on your taste buds, and adding to that a lot of artificial sweeteners are complexed with real carbs can also enhance this otherwise basal insulin response.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
then technically if

180 lbs with 10%bodyfat 18 lbs fat

172 LBM

gain 20 lbs... 200 lbs 10% bodyfat

180 lbm but added 2 lbs bodyfat and 8 lbs muscle

by staying the same bodyfat you technically add bodyfat. to be technical mathematically

all im saying is it doesnt always pan out that way.
In his scenario you don't add fat mass. So LBM increases, bodyfat LBs stay constant, and LBM/fat increases, meaning bf% decreases. So your math doesn't apply.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
^ toro is correct. I was trying to word it in a way easily understood. It looks like I didn't.

Your math was not wrong just not the same point I am making. I am talking about no fat gain and lowering fat percent by adding more body mass. The actual amount of
Fat would not change. Mind you the mass gain would come much slower if the goal was 0 fat gain.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
bro, follow my log. i just answered ur question in it cause im doing the same thing and its working for me pretty darn well. go check it out

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
bro, follow my log. i just answered ur question in it cause im doing the same thing and its working for me pretty darn well. go check it out

send me teh link and im in!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/172349-triangle-stack-ams.html

read my intro. you will be shocked to see im doing exactly what u want to do and its working. i dont care if ppl say u cant do it or you wont bulk or cut cause im doing it and i have scales and BF calipers for proof

btw, did u get ur samples?
strength going up doesn't equal getting bigger. in your log you say you've lost a few pounds, which isn't what he wants to do. he wants to lose the fat while gaining pounds on the scale.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
5'9 at 150lbs? And you want to lose fat?
Bro just add 20lbs then come back to losing fat. There is no point in trying to lose fat at 150lbs. Im 5'9 at 190 and i wanna reach 210-220 before i cut again.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Easy said it well. I cut about 20 lbs since Jan but some of my lifts went up. I know I did not gain muscle but look and feel great! Remember strength and mass ate not the same.
Strength takes tendon strength, cns, and muscle strength all into play

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wrong. I've gotten bf tested, and its gone down hence the three pounds dropped which is mainly from my stomach because my abs are alot more visible, my arms have grown about 1/8 of an inch and i get everything else measured every two weeks. I'm getting stronger, my muscles are growing and my body fat is decreasing. Now if he wants to put on pounds while shedding some fat, then do a mild cut like I did to decrease the fat then lean bulk which is what I'm doing now

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Estrogen level plays a big part in most guys who are lean everywhere else, but always carry a bit in the pouch. I encourage anyone who has that problem to get your estrogen levels checked.

Something like erase if you wanna go OTC would help quite a bit.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Estrogen level plays a big part in most guys who are lean everywhere else, but always carry a bit in the pouch. I encourage anyone who has that problem to get your estrogen levels checked.

that or genetics

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I think this may be an issue....dunno though i woudlnt say its genetics cuz jsut acouple years ago i was pretty ripped and bigger

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
I think this may be an issue....dunno though i woudlnt say its genetics cuz jsut acouple years ago i was pretty ripped and bigger
If I recall your story properly, you lost a lot of weight very quickly. Doing so does havoc on your body in general, let alone your hormones in particular. I'd recommend patience. Focus on fixing the "very skinny" part first. Keep eating and lifting big--don't look to supplements as a magic pill.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
It's probably linked to the fact that part of the body's response to food is reliant on your taste buds, and adding to that a lot of artificial sweeteners are complexed with real carbs can also enhance this otherwise basal insulin response.
i dont understand this whole theory that diet drinks will hurt fatloss via insulin response.

most people cut while using lots of carbs in their diet. i am positive that a plate of pasta or rice will have more of an insulin response than some aspartame.

and people still lose fat on pasta/rice, etc

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
i dont understand this whole theory that diet drinks will hurt fatloss via insulin response.

most people cut while using lots of carbs in their diet. i am positive that a plate of pasta or rice will have more of an insulin response than some aspartame.

and people still lose fat on pasta/rice, etc
indeed, get a nutrient partitioner/insulin mimicker if it will help you feel better about it.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
and how did u do that exactly?
i ate 400 over maintenece on workout days and at maintence non workout days.

Protein fat only and heavy lifting.

all strength went up... when i started to cut cals then weight satarted to drop and a little strength decrease.

191-187 lost about 5% bodyfat. retested soon.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
In his scenario you don't add fat mass. So LBM increases, bodyfat LBs stay constant, and LBM/fat increases, meaning bf% decreases. So your math doesn't apply.
not necessarily that means in order to have the same FAT mass you body fat would have had to drop 1 -1.2%