How many calories do I need to make my morning run not fasted?

drvinnybombat

Awards
I run 1 mile then jog another 1 mile each morning after 130 calories of protein shake. Then eggs and cereal right after. Is that enough to keep me from burning muscle?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So you're trying to make your cardio not fasted? If so, I would say 130 is very ok for that. For burning muscle your total nutrition, in particular your post-run meal, is what'll make the greatest difference anyways.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
You're not going to burn up muscle regardless. You're talking about burning a maximum of 300 calories running, as long as you're not in an extreme calorie deficit for days and weeks.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I run 1 mile then jog another 1 mile each morning after 130 calories of protein shake. Then eggs and cereal right after. Is that enough to keep me from burning muscle?
Whether or not you "burn muscle" is not going to be dependent on doing your run fasted or unfasted, and you can run unfasted with no worries - I do all the time! Whether or not you "burn muscle" is going to depend on whether you are in a caloric deficit (and how much of one) or not. If you're not eating enough - even for fat loss - your body will use muscle as well as fat, yes, but not if your nutrition is smart.

~Rosie~

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like eating a little fruit about 30 minutes before running in the a.m. personally, preferably grapes, banana if none are on hand. Maybe you should give something like that a shot if you're looking for something of an energy boost that wont fill?

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
why would you eat a bunch before running?

are you trying to win a race or burn fat?

drvinnybombat

Awards
I like to run early to get the metabolism going, burn a little fat, and it just generally wakes me up for the day. I've been doing it for a while and I've lost fat and improved my wind for short term endurance, which is my goal. I like the results overall, and I've managed to maintain my overall weight. My real training is in the afternoon.

What has worried me is the other people I pass on the run (I assume running fasted as it is 7 AM) look emaciated as hell.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
I like to run early to get the metabolism going, burn a little fat, and it just generally wakes me up for the day. I've been doing it for a while and I've lost fat and improved my wind for short term endurance, which is my goal. I like the results overall, and I've managed to maintain my overall weight. My real training is in the afternoon.

What has worried me is the other people I pass on the run (I assume running fasted as it is 7 AM) look emaciated as hell.
really? all i ever see that early are old people