paleo exceptions

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
After researching the paleo diet i am convinced and want to give it a try. However i notice some exceptions are made to the diet by many people based upon their needs, regarding athletic performance, to get more carbohydrates such as (red potatos, or more tubers than usually recomended) Just wondering what some of you who do the paleo diet allow yourselfs that is not on paleo but you feel does not hurt effectivenes of the diet and actually may help your gym performance.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
i eat red potatoes, whey protein, a little cheese. just make sure to avoid grains, milk, refined sugars.

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
thanks anton i am not doing paleo yet but have eleminated almost all grains have been using red potatoes and sweet potatoes for my carb sources and seem to feel less lethargic already.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
grains?

i eat red potatoes, whey protein, a little cheese. just make sure to avoid grains, milk, refined sugars.
if i have 100% wholegrain oats with 30.9g of carbs and ZERO sugars with 5g of fibre, is that a suitable source to be having as i am a runner

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Ok.Thought because it had no refined part it may have been possible. Cheers man

Drewkowsky

Awards
I really do think dairy is fine for a paleo diet as long as you're not lactose intolerant. At any rate its certainly not in the same class as grains, HFCS, and trans fats.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I really do think dairy is fine for a paleo diet as long as you're not lactose intolerant. At any rate its certainly not in the same class as grains, HFCS, and trans fats.
ehh milk sucks, especially the homogenized pasteurized factory kind.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It would be worth qualifying your definition of dairy in that instance.

Some do not get on with lactose, casein or whey. It depends what you are trying to cut out and why. It isn't as simple as removing lactose from the diet in a lot of cases. Someone with a sensitivity can still gain an inflammatory reaction.

ehh milk sucks, especially the homogenized pasteurized factory kind.
Agreed. Talk to anyone who has grown up on a farm of a decent quality and tell them raw milk is dangerous or eggs need to be soaked in chlorinated water. I would be happy to make a gentleman's bet you will get laughed at in a lot of cases. :)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It would be worth qualifying your definition of dairy in that instance.

Some do not get on with lactose, casein or whey. It depends what you are trying to cut out and why. It isn't as simple as removing lactose from the diet in a lot of cases. Someone with a sensitivity can still gain an inflammatory reaction.

Agreed. Talk to anyone who has grown up on a farm of a decent quality and tell them raw milk is dangerous or eggs need to be soaked in chlorinated water. I would be happy to make a gentleman's bet you will get laughed at in a lot of cases. :)
I lived on a farm during my HS years and we had chickens and a dairy cow. I drank probably a gallon of milk everyday (she was a Jersey, which is cream heavy milk) and ate 6-8 eggs for breakfast. We didn't do anything to the milk other than strain it and it is still the best tasting milk I've ever had. Store bought milk is trash compared to it.

Exercise123

Awards
why not use beans or legumes as a paleo carb source? technically those are not grains..

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
why not use beans or legumes as a paleo carb source? technically those are not grains..
Uhh, legumes are another category on the foods to avoid list. There are some exceptions, but not many.

kyoryoko

Awards
Basic paleo is no grains, legumes, dairy. Grass fed meats, 'raw' type foods, like cream and butter, but in moderation. Some eat nuts and seeds, but sparingly and they usually soak them over night or do something to them to get any lectins they can off of it. :D