Sucralose?

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Is it true that taking in Sucralose before cardio actually decreases the bodies ability to break down stored fat cells and exclusively "burn fat"? Since sucralose is splenda in disguise and all, and is basically table sugar, doesn't it just convert to glycogen which in turn will be the supply source for energy instead of fat oxidation?

Just a bit confused.

codered5

Awards
I am not an expert, so maybe wait for someone else to respond....but I DO know that aspartame, another artificial sweetener, hinders your body's ability to break down fat...so possibly

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
interesting, how about splenda?

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Splenda is sucralose in disguise

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
I am not an expert, so maybe wait for someone else to respond....but I DO know that aspartame, another artificial sweetener, hinders your body's ability to break down fat...so possibly
I'm pretty sure there is conflicting evidence on this and other artificial sweeteners. Do you have any studies available that show that aspartame inhibits the body's ability to break down fat? I'm interested in the topic.

A study in AJCN (http://www.ajcn.org/content/82/5/1011.abstract) states that in a clinical study involving humans drinking either glucose (sweet), maltodextrin (not sweet), aspartame (sweet), and regular water (not sweet):

"aspartame did not trigger any insulin response" and "our findings suggest that both sweet taste and energy content are required for a hypothalamic response"

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
sucralose + bulking agents = Splenda

codered5

Awards
I will try to find some studies I have read for you, but it is not due to insulin response....aspartame does not occur naturally, so your liver can't properly metabolize it in the way it would natural sugar (which is why food companies can market it as having 0 calories, bc the body won't accept it basically). Once your liver recognizes that it doesn't have nutrients, it clears it out with the same system it uses to get rid of other toxins from your body (like alcohol) which takes precedence OVER fat burning...so it slows down your body's ability to break down fat.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
I will try to find some studies I have read for you, but it is not due to insulin response....aspartame does not occur naturally, so your liver can't properly metabolize it in the way it would natural sugar (which is why food companies can market it as having 0 calories, bc the body won't accept it basically). Once your liver recognizes that it doesn't have nutrients, it clears it out with the same system it uses to get rid of other toxins from your body (like alcohol) which takes precedence OVER fat burning...so it slows down your body's ability to break down fat.
oh I understand -- so it does impact fat breakdown but through re-prioritization as opposed to stimulating insulin release ... interesting!

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
It's like a repartitioner. Also, asclefume potassium has shown to exhibit symptoms of depression and brain damaging effects. Im trying to work this sucralose topic out because I want to know that if by drinking a bcaa drink before I run that contains sucraclose eg. XTend by scivation, that my body will still burn fat because I do cardio training for my 10km race on empty stomach with drive+rpm and cordygen v02 ultra.hoping the bcaa's can preserve some muscle

Mark07

Awards
Any update on this topic? I am curious about the sucralose in Xtend and fatloss as well. I am currently taking Xtend at 4 scoops per workout. I am sipping it throughout my workout and then finish whats left before I start my cardio.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Still looking. It's a big topic that he exhibits little research that gives pros and cons for it.some say that it does, some say it doesn't but what I think and gather from most studies is that the insulin spike is minimal and does not play havoc with blood sugars. Best way I see is buying pharmaceutical grade and putting some stevia with it

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here's my take on it: the amount of sucralose in each serving of a supplement is going to be very low. For example, you can sweeten an entire pound of protein powder with just 1 gram.

Kevinm78

Awards
I discovered the sucralose in a protein powder I was using was giving me migraine headaches. It took about a week (and suffering with the headaches for that week) to discover that was the source. I had been eating so clean for quite some time, using no sugar or artificial sweeteners for that time, that it really screwed up my body and took a while to recover.

I had to search for products with Stevia. I have been using Stevia for about six months and really like the product. Some Stevia has a bad aftertaste, but a good Stevia product does not. Trader Joe's makes a good version. I found an all natural protein powder, the Elite all natural Whey Isolate, that is sweetened with stevia, is not too sweet and tastes great. I feel much better after switching over.

Stevia does not raise your glucose level, therefore does not involve your insulin. It's a good sweetener for losing fat. I've lost about 25 pounds of fat in about 4-5 months, eating non-processed good foods and sweetening my coffee, oatmeal, etc. with Stevia.

pressureSpike

Banned
Awards
All I know is Xtend KILLS my stomach, I blame it on the suraclose