More reason to ditch gluten from your diet

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
J Physiol Biochem. 2010 Jun;66(2):153-9. Epub 2010 Jun 1.
Gliadins induce TNFalpha production through cAMP-dependent protein kinase A activation in intestinal cells (Caco-2).

Laparra Llopis JM, Sanz Herranz Y.

Microbial Ecophysiology and Nutrition Group, Instituto de Agroquímica y Tecnología de Alimentos (CSIC), Apartado 73, 46100 Burjassot, Valencia, Spain. [email protected]
Abstract

Celiac disease is an autoimmune enteropathy caused by a permanent intolerance to gliadins. In this study the effects of two gliadin-derived peptides (PA2, PQPQLPYPQPQLP and PA9, QLQPFPQPQLPY) on TNFalpha production by intestinal epithelial cells (Caco-2) and whether these effects were related to protein kinase A (PKA) and/or -C (PKC) activities have been evaluated. Caco-2 cell cultures were challenged with several sets of gliadin peptides solutions (0.25 mg/mL), with/without different activators of PKA or PKC, bradykinin (Brdkn) and pyrrolidine dithiocarbamate (PDTC). The gliadin-derived peptides assayed represent the two major immunodominant epitopes of the peptide 33-mer of alpha-gliadin (56-88) (LQLQPFPQPQLPYPQPQLPYPQPQLPYPQPQPF). Both peptides induced the TNFalpha production triggering the inflammatory cell responses, the PA2 being more effective. The addition of the peptides in the presence of dibutyril cyclic AMP (cAMP), Brdkn or PDTC, inhibited the TNFalpha production. The PKC-activator phorbol 12-myristate 13-diacetate additionally increased the PA2- and PA9-induced TNFalpha production. These results link the gliadin-derived peptides induced TNFalpha production through cAMP-dependent PKA activation, where ion channels controlling calcium influx into cells could play a protective role, and requires NF-kappaB activation.

PMID: 20514534

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ive been really interested in going to a Paleo type diet. Are there any websites that have a full list of what foods gluten could be in?

I know dairy n carbs n whatnot, but is there a list?

Thanks Rodja

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I am intrigued by the Paleo diet but I feel like it would be hell to eat out as well as to give up cheese...

So I end up continuing on my CKD type.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I am intrigued by the Paleo diet but I feel like it would be hell to eat out as well as to give up cheese...

So I end up continuing on my CKD type.
i eat paleo but i do eat cheese. my guilty little pleasure..:saevilw:

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is an interesting study.

It surprises me that a lot of GI doctors completely write off nutritional changes having any benefit to those with IBD or IBS yet they have drugs to primarily reduce TNF-a and information to foods which can raise it as well as foods which can reduce it.

Reps.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I still eat cheese and use whey/casein powders. They don't cause any allergies in me and I feel that they help more than they hurt. Plus, I can't not eat bleu cheese several times a week.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
It is an interesting study.

It surprises me that a lot of GI doctors completely write off nutritional changes having any benefit to those with IBD or IBS yet they have drugs to primarily reduce TNF-a and information to foods which can raise it as well as foods which can reduce it.

Reps.
well of course, cant make any money from dietary changes

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Awesome study.. gonna have to save this one

Dead Shark

Dead Shark

Awards
Recently I cared for a patient with celiac disease. Not remembering much about it from my school days, I wiki'd and googled a few articles and began educating myself. Subsequently in my search I stumbled upon this thread and I have to say that I find the premise of the paleo diet intriguing - intuitively it just makes sense. I just downloaded Rob Wolf's book to my kindle and plan on giving this diet a go. Just like to thank Rodja and others for the info.