opinions on a macro ratio

1. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.61%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

opinions on a macro ratio

Well, I've been following a 40/40/20 of protein/fat/carbs for a while now. First of all I'm a fairly large dude, 205-210 at around 10 percent bf (legit, i'm not guessing, i have it tested with calipers) So I obviously require quite a few calories, couple that with how active I am and I eat 5k cals a day.

I'm convinced that keeping carbs down around 20 percent helps me stay lean with so many calories. Like i said, 5k cals, but really only about 250g or so of carbs. However that means that I'm taking in a TON of protein/fat. The fat doesn't really concern me, it's the amount of protein I question. I mean it isn't a hard thing to do to get between 450-500g of protein a day, I just question whether it's necessary.

What do you guys think of a 50/30/20 split of fat/protein/carbs? Is that too much fat? I'm real hesitant to bring that 20 percent carbs up to 30 for fear of not being able to stay lean. Otherwise a 40/30/30 would be the obvious.

Any opinions are appreciated

edit: a 40/30/30 of fat/protein/carbs would take the protein intake down to around 350, that's more reasonable really. Hmmm....

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.03%

My personal opinion you would have a hard time maintaining lean with a 50% fat diet as you would probably be getting a lot of fat from not so great places.

I would keep at 40/40/20.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  3. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.61%

I think you're right.

Thanks for input bro, I'm gonna stick with a 40/40/20, that seems to be the best suited combo for me
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.79%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

if it aint broke, dont fix it.... u coudl always experiment if u really want...jsut make sure to have mostly healthy fats and see how it works
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.65%

Im a pretty big guy myself and your protein intake is pretty large. I don't consume more than 350g per day. A normal person can break down protein at a rate of 30grams every 3 hours. At that rate most of your protein isnt going to building but converting to your energy source. You would probably be a little better with lowering the protein and increasing carbs. Might give you more energy too.
    Anabolic Designs Represenative
    Perform and Transform
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/171721-boagrius-logging-pes.html
  6. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.61%

Quote Originally Posted by Boagrius View Post
    Im a pretty big guy myself and your protein intake is pretty large. I don't consume more than 350g per day. A normal person can break down protein at a rate of 30grams every 3 hours. At that rate most of your protein isnt going to building but converting to your energy source. You would probably be a little better with lowering the protein and increasing carbs. Might give you more energy too.

thanks bro. I seem to recall an article I read not too long ago about the importance of carbs, stating that while excess protein will be converted into energy if need be, it's an extremely inefficient way of your body obtaining the energy it needs. Whether that's true or just broscience I do not know. Matter of fact maybe I just made it up to make myself feel better about eating more carbs, haha.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.65%

Quote Originally Posted by MakaveliThaDon View Post
    thanks bro. I seem to recall an article I read not too long ago about the importance of carbs, stating that while excess protein will be converted into energy if need be, it's an extremely inefficient way of your body obtaining the energy it needs. Whether that's true or just broscience I do not know. Matter of fact maybe I just made it up to make myself feel better about eating more carbs, haha.
    haha that is true buddy. Switch your diet for a month and see if it helps, if not you can always go back to high protein
    Anabolic Designs Represenative
    Perform and Transform
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/171721-boagrius-logging-pes.html
  8. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.68%

id switch to more carbs. If 5k cals doesnt make you fat, increasing carbs wont either. Carbs are protein sparing. I dont think your body has the natural ability to turn over 500g a day, if cycling then leave be. But a natural guy can digest 500g, but not use it as far as im told. I talked to layne norton about this for a lil, smart guy.

Similar Forum Threads

1. still hungry....but macro's are telling me no
    By StellaArtois in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-15-2012, 12:34 AM
  2. Macro and calorie intake?
    By stros5 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-14-2007, 08:08 AM
  3. Macro confusion
    By Osmg95 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 4