Cracked rib recovery, suggestions?

StayPuft21

Awards
Since this is my first post, I truly meet the definition of newb, so fire away. I recently caught a nasty strain of flu that had me in bed with high fever for the better part of two weeks, followed by another week of painful coughing. I managed to cough hard enough I cracked a rib (and from the feel of it, loosened some cartilage or other tissue from the bone in two other areas).

Between the rib and the flu I've not been able to do much of anything for about the last 6-7 weeks, which is driving me nuts. Prior to getting sick, I'd gotten in the best shape since college after too many years of just letting things go bit by bit. Dropped 15 lbs before slowly increasing strength and muscle mass, better energy through better nutrition and 6 days a week alternating weights/resistance with cardio. I was ready to start pushing through to the next step of trying to move beyond good health to pushing hard for strength and mass.

Coming out of dropping 10 lbs with the flu and then being told to lift nothing, do virtually nothing until the rib fully heals, I'm frustrated as hell and looking for suggestions on what I can do for the next 3 weeks or so to (hopefully) heal more quickly and do some kind of work so I don't feel like I'm atrophying. I've been eating pretty well - mostly meats, veg, some fruit and complex carbs - and supplementing with protein shakes and Animal Pak. Everything I've read and what the doctor told me on rib fractures seems to indicate you can't do much more than rest and eat right, but if anyone has experience otherwise...

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Milk or calcium supplement. Other than that time is the only thing for a fractured rib.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
Cissus!!!

I don't have time to find the study now, but there are studies out there showing the effectiveness of Cissus in speeding bone healing.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Cissus!!!

I don't have time to find the study now, but there are studies out there showing the effectiveness of Cissus in speeding bone healing.
This is true.

StayPuft21

Awards
Cissus!!!

Awesome. My wife just bought a bottle yesterday...will grab some and try that. Otherwise been drinking more milk or having calcium and just generally being sure to get the nutrition in. Thanks. Now if I could just get back to working out.