Thought on weekly cheat meal (and I meal major cheat meal)

FitModel

FitModel

Awards
  • Established
I'm a pretty fitness savy guy and for the most part I eat clean, I'm naturally lean so dieting has never been hard for me, gaining weight/muscle has been the challenge.

Anyways so I'm seeing this trainer, ex bb'er, his workouts are legit and he knows his stuff. He has me and my buddy, (who is the opposite of me, huge, naturally big, has to diet his ass off to lose weight) doing a cheat meal every week or every two weeks, the only difference is my friend is dieting hard, while I'm not, I eat relatively clean but still 2700-3300 cals a day, eating clean it's very hard for me to get past 3k cals a day. without an overload of fats...

one weekend we had doughnuts, my buddy ate 12, I made it to about 7. the other weekend (cheat meal) we had inn n out, two double doubles, frys, etc...yesterday we had pizza and doughnuts.

I understand the general purpose of this is for a pre contest carb/glycogen malipulation, obviously much more effective for someone who's been dieting. His reasonosn for me to do it is simply "more calories are good" (i'm trying to building size)

Do you guys agree with this? or would it be more beneficial to keep my cheat meals to a less of an all out gorge, considering i'm in no way in a cal deficit neither am I in need of pre contest carb manipulation...

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
I always thought that a cheat was anything with fat and carbs together.If that is the case i cheat at every meal!When i do cheat i cheat pretty clean if it doesn't have any nutritional value i just don't eat it!My idea of a cheat meal is something like buckwheat pancakes with p/b ,cheeseburger on whole wheat ect.Doughnuts i don't think.Better ways to get cals then eating crap!I actually don't ever have one don't see why when my diet is good and giving results don't crave nothing so don't want nothing.

shocknyou

shocknyou

Awards
I love my cheat meal! Its all about eating a food that I love despite its lack of nutritional value. Its a reward for eating clean. Just don't eat though for the sake of eating. Still keep portions reasonable next stuff yourself to feeling bad.

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
Eat up man, follow what the trainer says, see if you can beat your friend at consumption., honestly, I dont know what you weigh, but Ive never seen anybody get big on 2700 cal/day, and you are trying to gain size, might be time to get a little dirty, and up those calories.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
I believe 100% in cheat meals...but not in cheat meals that have zero nutritional value. Donuts...no 'effin way.

My cheat meals...which I will stuff myself on once a week
Lasagna
Pizza (whole wheat crust, and lean meats)
Huge juicy burger on whole wheat
pasta and tomato/meat sauce
huge steak with shrooms and feta cheese

As far as just pounding junk food...I guess its not in me. I am lucky that I have the appetite to rail down 5000+ healthy calories very easily.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I believe 100% in cheat meals...but not in cheat meals that have zero nutritional value. Donuts...no 'effin way.

My cheat meals...which I will stuff myself on once a week
Lasagna
Pizza (whole wheat crust, and lean meats)
Huge juicy burger on whole wheat
pasta and tomato/meat sauce
huge steak with shrooms and feta cheese

As far as just pounding junk food...I guess its not in me. I am lucky that I have the appetite to rail down 5000+ healthy calories very easily.
I feel u. Are you able to stay lean pounding down that many cals as well?

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I'm a pretty fitness savy guy and for the most part I eat clean, I'm naturally lean so dieting has never been hard for me, gaining weight/muscle has been the challenge.

Anyways so I'm seeing this trainer, ex bb'er, his workouts are legit and he knows his stuff. He has me and my buddy, (who is the opposite of me, huge, naturally big, has to diet his ass off to lose weight) doing a cheat meal every week or every two weeks, the only difference is my friend is dieting hard, while I'm not, I eat relatively clean but still 2700-3300 cals a day, eating clean it's very hard for me to get past 3k cals a day. without an overload of fats...

one weekend we had doughnuts, my buddy ate 12, I made it to about 7. the other weekend (cheat meal) we had inn n out, two double doubles, frys, etc...yesterday we had pizza and doughnuts.

I understand the general purpose of this is for a pre contest carb/glycogen malipulation, obviously much more effective for someone who's been dieting. His reasonosn for me to do it is simply "more calories are good" (i'm trying to building size)

Do you guys agree with this? or would it be more beneficial to keep my cheat meals to a less of an all out gorge, considering i'm in no way in a cal deficit neither am I in need of pre contest carb manipulation...

Speaking from years of personal experience. I agree with what the others have said about cheat meals being a good thing when they are at least of nutritional value.

If you are dieting so hard that you have urges to just absolutely gorge yourself on junk food once a week until you can't eat anymore, then you flat out aren't eating enough cals, even if you ARE trying to lose fat, if you have those type of urges you would benefit from upping your cals. It will make you feel better, keep urges down, and increase your BMR thus increasing the rate at which you are burning calories. If you keep your calories too low for your body for an extended period of time while dieting, it lowers your bmr and pretty soon you are barely eating, but unfortunately you also are barely burning any cals. So not only are you barely eating, you aren't losing any fat either.

thebiggerpict

Awards
Speaking from years of personal experience. I agree with what the others have said about cheat meals being a good thing when they are at least of nutritional value.

If you are dieting so hard that you have urges to just absolutely gorge yourself on junk food once a week until you can't eat anymore, then you flat out aren't eating enough cals, even if you ARE trying to lose fat, if you have those type of urges you would benefit from upping your cals. It will make you feel better, keep urges down, and increase your BMR thus increasing the rate at which you are burning calories. If you keep your calories too low for your body for an extended period of time while dieting, it lowers your bmr and pretty soon you are barely eating, but unfortunately you also are barely burning any cals. So not only are you barely eating, you aren't losing any fat either.

^^^ i agree with this 100 percent,,
i was 1 of them guy who ate 1700cal every day,, low carb high protein never even counted fats,, i say 20-30g most,,( i no bad)

now im trying lean out,, and im taking in 2500-2700calories
250g protein 180g carbs 70g fats

im training better,, i dont get to where i want eat ,, loats ice cream and cookies,, have a sweet tooth,,

my weight is not going down with i like,, but im getting more lean,, so i must be building muscle and slowly burning fat,,, and i feel every day is a cheat day now that i eat 70g fats,,,
yolks are gorges ,,, peanut butter,, love it,,
i ust always have the idea that i would burn fat faster on lowww calories,, sadly i did go down in weight,, but alot muscle loss :(,,

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
OP you already seem to understand the concept -- cheating with tons of empty calories on a bulk will likely add a substantial amount of fat. The concept is different when on a cut but that's an entirely different topic that has been debated ad nauseam.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with indulging yourself in moderation and on occasion.