Experiences with Intermittent Fasting

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

1. Are you taking hepatic regulation and gluconeogenesis into account there, Easy? The liver gets first pick at the protein we eat, and will reap a good 60-100g a day dependent on bodyweight; more if the diet is very high in protein or calorically insufficient.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***

2. Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    Are you taking hepatic regulation and gluconeogenesis into account there, Easy? The liver gets first pick at the protein we eat, and will reap a good 60-100g a day dependent on bodyweight; more if the diet is very high in protein or calorically insufficient.
    If there is enough carbs in the diet then that impact is lessened, plus everyone leaves out the reality that of what is used for daily protein turnover, its not like all of the amino acids of the damaged tissue turn into ashes, a significant amount of them is recovered too.

But basically yes I was, thats why the base of roughly .5g per pound of bodyweight is there. Once you cover that plus the little bit over for what is really lost in damaged tissues having an extra 200g of protein a week is all that a natural bodybuilder would need assuming he's getting plenty of calories from carbs and fats.

I think the only reasons so many guys believe in eating the ridiculous amounts of protein are ego, taste, and fill factor. In the end, most of what they are taking in as protein gets used no differently than if it was carbs.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    If there is enough carbs in the diet then that impact is lessened, plus everyone leaves out the reality that of what is used for daily protein turnover, its not like all of the amino acids of the damaged tissue turn into ashes, a significant amount of them is recovered too.

But basically yes I was, thats why the base of roughly .5g per pound of bodyweight is there. Once you cover that plus the little bit over for what is really lost in damaged tissues having an extra 200g of protein a week is all that a natural bodybuilder would need assuming he's getting plenty of calories from carbs and fats.

I think the only reasons so many guys believe in eating the ridiculous amounts of protein are ego, taste, and fill factor. In the end, most of what they are taking in as protein gets used no differently than if it was carbs.
    I tend to agree that people overdo it on the protein...but what if you are on cycle? What do you think a good amount of protein intake would be?

4. Quote Originally Posted by mmk64 View Post
    I tend to agree that people overdo it on the protein...but what if you are on cycle? What do you think a good amount of protein intake would be?
    really even if you expect to gain 3 pounds of actual muscle a week, thats still a surplus of only around 480g for the week. an extra 80g a day more than covers that so a 200lber could get 180-200g a day. Still has to get total calories high to gain that much, but thats really all thats necessary proteinwise

5. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post

A very reasonable outlook. Thanks for explaining.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
    •   

6. I have been eating like this for a couple of months now as well. I never thought I would do something of the sort, but so far it is working out well for me.

I train fasted in the morning(bcaa), eat my first small meal around 12:30pm(greek yogurt/protein powder, and an apple), eat my large meal at 5 or so, and depending on how big my large meal was, and how I feel, I might have a pre bed meal around 8pm of greek yogurt/protein with some almonds.

The biggest issues I am running into in terms of fat loss are:

1. Curbing my big meal. I am so hungry by that point, that I tend to over-indulge, eat too much, and generally and make choices I would NEVER make on a normal "diet".

2. Eating a pre-determined amount of calories. I find it a bit trickier to do so on this diet, for me atleast.

On the plus side, I am a BIG TIME ENDO, and I pretty much eat whatever the **** I want, at night, as well as a full on refeed on Saturday, and have recomped for sure. Waist is down .5-.75" , and scale is up a lb or two.

However to really take advantage of the fat loss, which is what I really want to start focusing on, I am going to have to really lock down my large meal.

7. Quote Originally Posted by imprezivr6 View Post
    I have been eating like this for a couple of months now as well. I never thought I would do something of the sort, but so far it is working out well for me.

I train fasted in the morning(bcaa), eat my first small meal around 12:30pm(greek yogurt/protein powder, and an apple), eat my large meal at 5 or so, and depending on how big my large meal was, and how I feel, I might have a pre bed meal around 8pm of greek yogurt/protein with some almonds.

The biggest issues I am running into in terms of fat loss are:

1. Curbing my big meal. I am so hungry by that point, that I tend to over-indulge, eat too much, and generally and make choices I would NEVER make on a normal "diet".

2. Eating a pre-determined amount of calories. I find it a bit trickier to do so on this diet, for me atleast.

On the plus side, I am a BIG TIME ENDO, and I pretty much eat whatever the **** I want, at night, as well as a full on refeed on Saturday, and have recomped for sure. Waist is down .5-.75" , and scale is up a lb or two.

However to really take advantage of the fat loss, which is what I really want to start focusing on, I am going to have to really lock down my large meal.
    thats not really intermittent fasting though. You are going only what 15 hours without eating? people who eat 3 meals a day at 8am, 1pm and 6pm have almost the same gap and theres no expectation of fatloss.

8. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    thats not really intermittent fasting though. You are going only what 15 hours without eating? people who eat 3 meals a day at 8am, 1pm and 6pm have almost the same gap and theres no expectation of fatloss.
    lol..Ok.. Well the thread was made about leangains, which is more or less what I am doing, so why not tell Martin Berkhan what he is doing is not IF.

In fact most of this thread is about a similar fasting period, and has been mentioned several times, so I am not sure why you decided to point it out now, 2 pages into it. If you read the title, and the OP, you would think your first post in this thread would say "16hr fast? That is not IF"

A 16hr gap in feeding is fairly big, for someone who is lifting, in addition to a high intensity sport. Even with that said, my meal at 12:30 might be 300 cals. It is roughly 24hrs before I eat a real meal.

Call it what you will, but for all intents and purposes, of this thread it is IF.

9. Quote Originally Posted by imprezivr6 View Post
    lol..Ok.. Well the thread was made about leangains, which is more or less what I am doing, so why not tell Martin Berkhan what he is doing is not IF.

In fact most of this thread is about a similar fasting period, and has been mentioned several times, so I am not sure why you decided to point it out now, 2 pages into it. If you read the title, and the OP, you would think your first post in this thread would say "16hr fast? That is not IF"

A 16hr gap in feeding is fairly big, for someone who is lifting, in addition to a high intensity sport. Even with that said, my meal at 12:30 might be 300 cals. It is roughly 24hrs before I eat a real meal.

Call it what you will, but for all intents and purposes, of this thread it is IF.
    Yeah, just from the medical studies, it was longer spans to where there were the hormonal adaptations that really made a difference with body composition. I guess with the last meal being that small you are right in a way, but then why eat it?

10. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Yeah, just from the medical studies, it was longer spans to where there were the hormonal adaptations that really made a difference with body composition. I guess with the last meal being that small you are right in a way, but then why eat it?
    Like I said, I am trying to follow a similar template to lean gains, or even a modified warrior diet. Why eat it? Because that is what is outlined in the diet..lol Honestly, no other reason then that. By this time(12pm), am an pretty hungry, and that small meal is actually fairly satiating.

Did the medical studies try a similar 16hr fast approach, on weight trained, or performance athletes?(not being a smart ass, I am curious)

I can certainly say from my own extensive dieting experience that I am able to stay lean(for me) like this MUCH easier then with a more traditionally structured diet.

Additionally I am adding muscle/strength, while losing fat, almost effortlessly. When traditionally, it is a struggle to even lose fat in the first place, eating 100% to a T, at my current BF%. This is the point where it gets hard for me, and I am doing an enormous amount of cardio.

And this is with me eating considerably more calories(500-750+) now, then I normally do, plus doing far less cardio.

To speed up fatloss however, I am going to have to really lock down my nightly meal, and add in some more cardio. I always start with a big salad, and 1lb of meat(whatever I want), but then all bets are off until I am full. Low fat cookies, Ice Cream, Fro-yo, baked lays, white rice, bread, etc, etc..lol Basically what ever I feel like. I try to keep it low fat, as I would on a refeed if I can, but it is not uncommon for me to eat a Chipotle double meat burrito, or something along those lines.

I feel if I just tighten that up, I will accelerate fatloss, and then can even further remove carbs from it/cycle carbs, with a Saturday refeed. I might even be able to just reduce the total number of calories, of my big meal, and still leave in the less then "clean" food choices in a controlled fashion. It is something I am going to have to play with.

The point is, as someone who has been meticulous with diet, for YEARS, it is extremely refreshing, and liberating to be able to eat like this, and maintain my condition. Rather then eating exact, weighed out portions of the same food every 2.5 hrs 6-7x a day, Sun-Fri(sat refeed). Not to mention if I happen to have to go out to dinner durring the week, or Sunday dinner at my grandparents, and have to watch my friends, and family eat whatever they want, while I sit there and drink a diet soda because my premade meal of chicken, and almonds awaits me..lol

Ok, time to go eat my pansy of a meal..lol

11. I guess for me, since I never bought into any of the 6-8 meals a day nonsense my eating patterns were already like that. I train fasted from 7-8am, and either have a shake by 8:30-9 or sometimes a solid meal. If a shake, followed by something solid within an hour or two. And pretty much last meal of the day is at 6ish. and then nothing till the following morning after training. so to me "normal" eating is a 14+ hour fasting anyhow.

More of the studies were on non-resistance trained people, I think there was one or two. From memory, since it was a couple years back when I looked at it, the more significant biological marker changes started at 18 hours fasted and improved all the way out to 40 hours fasted. Growth hormone levels and insulin resistance primarily from what I recall.

12. I've been trying to do the IF approach for a while now. My work/kid schedule sometimes gets in the way but most of the time I can just get up in the morning and not worry about breakfast or lunch and then come home a lift and really really plow some food away in my 6 or 7 hour window. I've actually gotten use to working out in a fasted state and enjoy it now (cuz I know there is gonna be a 6 egg omelet on the other side)

you guys follow http://www.leangains.com/ at all? I'm considering becoming one of his clients to help me lay out the IF program a little better. 2 words - protein fluff!

13. Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I've been trying to do the IF approach for a while now. My work/kid schedule sometimes gets in the way but most of the time I can just get up in the morning and not worry about breakfast or lunch and then come home a lift and really really plow some food away in my 6 or 7 hour window. I've actually gotten use to working out in a fasted state and enjoy it now (cuz I know there is gonna be a 6 egg omelet on the other side)

you guys follow http://www.leangains.com/ at all? I'm considering becoming one of his clients to help me lay out the IF program a little better. 2 words - protein fluff!

Yea dude, Martin is the man. He and Alan Aragon are at the top of the pyramid as far as i'm concerned.

I haven't tried protein fluff but I did buy some Syntrax Micelar Creme to make pudding with. Pretty bomb and cheaper than the packets from vitamin shoppe.

I was referring to the 16 hour fast. I have no interest in alternate day fasting or anything like that. I am attracted to the 16 hour thing because it will allow me more flexibility in my meals (i.e. huge steak with avocado instead of a modest portion of chicken breast) and I will probably get to sleep in more because I'm not eating breakfast. I still don't know if I am going to go that way though.

This thread is hot. I think it is the first one i've made that got to two pages.

14. I'm giving it a try. Day 2 right now. I've been throwing down caffeine in the morning to max my sympathetic tone so I can be focused and not hungry.

The 8 hour feeding phase is awesome. I've basically been eating large servings of meat with some sort of fat (avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, eggs etc.) The possibilities are endless when you are shooting for a 900 calorie meal.

I have a grass finished brisket cooking in the oven as I type.

In other words, so far so good.

15. This is definitely my favorite 'diet' so far.

Getting leaner while eating papa johns pizza and sonic!
    For me, the action IS the juice.

16. I never tried it while eating very dirty, but I did notice fairly quick changes while eating clean.

17. Quote Originally Posted by adnscmplx View Post
    I'm giving it a try. Day 2 right now. I've been throwing down caffeine in the morning to max my sympathetic tone so I can be focused and not hungry.

The 8 hour feeding phase is awesome. I've basically been eating large servings of meat with some sort of fat (avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, eggs etc.) The possibilities are endless when you are shooting for a 900 calorie meal.

I have a grass finished brisket cooking in the oven as I type.

In other words, so far so good.
    Good stuff! so you are doing 8 hour feed, 16 hour fast? I like that layout too, and I have also tried the 6 hour feed, 18 hour fast - its hard to get all the calories in a 6 hour window, real easy to hit a calorie deficit.

18. Yea, I'm not eating a ton of cals right now but I could go lower. Satiety is definitely a strong point.

19. I tend to eat "clean" but really this way of eating makes cheat days easier to handle
    [email protected]
    http://www.facebook.com/Athleticxtreme
    Athletic Xtreme Rep

20. What do your lifting routines look like? I think Martin's is low rep/heavy weights, and it looks like they are keeping it to 3x per week. The only cardio that I can glean from the blog appears to be walking.

I am just having an issue with my workout not always being at the same time. Sometimes the only time I have to lift is first thing in the morning and sometimes I have to wait until the kids are in bed, the fasting until after I lift isn't really jiving with that.

Food wise I am all over the map. In the past I have responded real well to CKD type diets, but for this I am trying more of a paleo style diet because its nice to have some fruit ever once in a while. Then there are the days when I totally blow it and eat everything that moves

21. so if im trying to bulk the idea is that i fast for 16 hours...including sleep, and then try to get in my 3300 cals or so within the remaining 8 hours, no matter how i do it, fat, carbs etc. (obv. keeping protein high) ?

22. Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post
    so if im trying to bulk the idea is that i fast for 16 hours...including sleep, and then try to get in my 3300 cals or so within the remaining 8 hours, no matter how i do it, fat, carbs etc. (obv. keeping protein high) ?
    There are several different fasting routines. Warrior diet, East Stop Eat, etc

http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html
    http://www.leighpeele.com/martin-ber...ting-interview
    http://www.leangains.com/2008/06/bri...oaches-to.html

I did try the not eating for 24 hours once, but just once - not enough to give it a judgement either way. I usually stick to a 16/8 or 18/6 fast/feed.

23. but the idea is to get all ur cals (3300 or so in my case) in this 6/8 hour window? als what about types of food, is it ok to mix up fat rotein carbs and maybe sum junk in there too or is the idea t just do fats and prtein or protein and carbs at certain times

24. Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post
    but the idea is to get all ur cals (3300 or so in my case) in this 6/8 hour window? als what about types of food, is it ok to mix up fat rotein carbs and maybe sum junk in there too or is the idea t just do fats and prtein or protein and carbs at certain times
    when I did the full alternate day fasting - working out at 7am empty stomach, start eating at 830, eat the next 13 hours till getting ready to bed, then fast through the entire next day and repeat this on the second day - i had 35 hours fasted, 13 eating. And I damn well ate anything whatsoever, just trying to make sure that i was regularly taking in protein one way or another. Glasses of milk with oreos smeared with peanut butter for instance

Overall its just making sure you still the get the calories and your general macro goals in, so if you are shooting for 200g protein and 80g healthy fats, so long as you get those its not entirely critical where the rest come from. Sure avoid high fructose corn syrup, but outside of that....

25. hmmm i might try the 16/8 idea gonna take sum plannin ot in regards to wrokouts and what not though i usually work out later in teh day so im gonn ahve to look into how to do that....any sugggestions?

26. Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post
    hmmm i might try the 16/8 idea gonna take sum plannin ot in regards to wrokouts and what not though i usually work out later in teh day so im gonn ahve to look into how to do that....any sugggestions?
    pretty simple, don't start eating till 1 in the afternoon, eat thru till 9pm.

27. Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post
    hmmm i might try the 16/8 idea gonna take sum plannin ot in regards to wrokouts and what not though i usually work out later in teh day so im gonn ahve to look into how to do that....any sugggestions?
    Dude, read the post titled the leangains guide on leangains.com. It is straight forward.

28. This is cool, ive read this many times. Might have to try one day. Anyone eat a lot and fast once a week?

29. I think my fat ass will have to try something along these lines.

30. yea maybe ill jsut fast completely on an off daay and jsut eat whatever I want all day the next day......and make sure to train legs that day too lol
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Intermittent Fasting and PowerChews
    By Milas in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-08-2011, 11:24 PM
  2. intermittent fasting
    By Shavani in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 10:47 PM
  3. Intermittent Fasting
    By trackstud100m in forum Nutrition / Health