Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.9%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

I guess for me, since I never bought into any of the 6-8 meals a day nonsense my eating patterns were already like that. I train fasted from 7-8am, and either have a shake by 8:30-9 or sometimes a solid meal. If a shake, followed by something solid within an hour or two. And pretty much last meal of the day is at 6ish. and then nothing till the following morning after training. so to me "normal" eating is a 14+ hour fasting anyhow.

More of the studies were on non-resistance trained people, I think there was one or two. From memory, since it was a couple years back when I looked at it, the more significant biological marker changes started at 18 hours fasted and improved all the way out to 40 hours fasted. Growth hormone levels and insulin resistance primarily from what I recall.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.73%

I've been trying to do the IF approach for a while now. My work/kid schedule sometimes gets in the way but most of the time I can just get up in the morning and not worry about breakfast or lunch and then come home a lift and really really plow some food away in my 6 or 7 hour window. I've actually gotten use to working out in a fasted state and enjoy it now (cuz I know there is gonna be a 6 egg omelet on the other side)

you guys follow http://www.leangains.com/ at all? I'm considering becoming one of his clients to help me lay out the IF program a little better. 2 words - protein fluff!
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.57%

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I've been trying to do the IF approach for a while now. My work/kid schedule sometimes gets in the way but most of the time I can just get up in the morning and not worry about breakfast or lunch and then come home a lift and really really plow some food away in my 6 or 7 hour window. I've actually gotten use to working out in a fasted state and enjoy it now (cuz I know there is gonna be a 6 egg omelet on the other side)

you guys follow http://www.leangains.com/ at all? I'm considering becoming one of his clients to help me lay out the IF program a little better. 2 words - protein fluff!

Yea dude, Martin is the man. He and Alan Aragon are at the top of the pyramid as far as i'm concerned.

I haven't tried protein fluff but I did buy some Syntrax Micelar Creme to make pudding with. Pretty bomb and cheaper than the packets from vitamin shoppe.

I was referring to the 16 hour fast. I have no interest in alternate day fasting or anything like that. I am attracted to the 16 hour thing because it will allow me more flexibility in my meals (i.e. huge steak with avocado instead of a modest portion of chicken breast) and I will probably get to sleep in more because I'm not eating breakfast. I still don't know if I am going to go that way though.

This thread is hot. I think it is the first one i've made that got to two pages.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.57%

I'm giving it a try. Day 2 right now. I've been throwing down caffeine in the morning to max my sympathetic tone so I can be focused and not hungry.

The 8 hour feeding phase is awesome. I've basically been eating large servings of meat with some sort of fat (avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, eggs etc.) The possibilities are endless when you are shooting for a 900 calorie meal.

I have a grass finished brisket cooking in the oven as I type.

In other words, so far so good.
  5. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.18%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

This is definitely my favorite 'diet' so far.

Getting leaner while eating papa johns pizza and sonic!
    For me, the action IS the juice.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.97%

I never tried it while eating very dirty, but I did notice fairly quick changes while eating clean.
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.73%

Quote Originally Posted by adnscmplx View Post
    I'm giving it a try. Day 2 right now. I've been throwing down caffeine in the morning to max my sympathetic tone so I can be focused and not hungry.

The 8 hour feeding phase is awesome. I've basically been eating large servings of meat with some sort of fat (avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, eggs etc.) The possibilities are endless when you are shooting for a 900 calorie meal.

I have a grass finished brisket cooking in the oven as I type.

In other words, so far so good.
    Good stuff! so you are doing 8 hour feed, 16 hour fast? I like that layout too, and I have also tried the 6 hour feed, 18 hour fast - its hard to get all the calories in a 6 hour window, real easy to hit a calorie deficit.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.57%

Yea, I'm not eating a ton of cals right now but I could go lower. Satiety is definitely a strong point.
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'1"  111 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.24%

I tend to eat "clean" but really this way of eating makes cheat days easier to handle
    smallfry@athleticxtreme.com
    http://www.facebook.com/Athleticxtreme
    Athletic Xtreme Rep

10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.73%

What do your lifting routines look like? I think Martin's is low rep/heavy weights, and it looks like they are keeping it to 3x per week. The only cardio that I can glean from the blog appears to be walking.

I am just having an issue with my workout not always being at the same time. Sometimes the only time I have to lift is first thing in the morning and sometimes I have to wait until the kids are in bed, the fasting until after I lift isn't really jiving with that.

Food wise I am all over the map. In the past I have responded real well to CKD type diets, but for this I am trying more of a paleo style diet because its nice to have some fruit ever once in a while. Then there are the days when I totally blow it and eat everything that moves
  11. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.94%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

so if im trying to bulk the idea is that i fast for 16 hours...including sleep, and then try to get in my 3300 cals or so within the remaining 8 hours, no matter how i do it, fat, carbs etc. (obv. keeping protein high) ?
  12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.73%

Quote Originally Posted by mkretz View Post
    so if im trying to bulk the idea is that i fast for 16 hours...including sleep, and then try to get in my 3300 cals or so within the remaining 8 hours, no matter how i do it, fat, carbs etc. (obv. keeping protein high) ?
    There are several different fasting routines. Warrior diet, East Stop Eat, etc

http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html
    http://www.leighpeele.com/martin-ber...ting-interview
    http://www.leangains.com/2008/06/bri...oaches-to.html

I did try the not eating for 24 hours once, but just once - not enough to give it a judgement either way. I usually stick to a 16/8 or 18/6 fast/feed.
  13. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.94%

but the idea is to get all ur cals (3300 or so in my case) in this 6/8 hour window? als what about types of food, is it ok to mix up fat rotein carbs and maybe sum junk in there too or is the idea t just do fats and prtein or protein and carbs at certain times
  14. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.9%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

but the idea is to get all ur cals (3300 or so in my case) in this 6/8 hour window? als what about types of food, is it ok to mix up fat rotein carbs and maybe sum junk in there too or is the idea t just do fats and prtein or protein and carbs at certain times
    when I did the full alternate day fasting - working out at 7am empty stomach, start eating at 830, eat the next 13 hours till getting ready to bed, then fast through the entire next day and repeat this on the second day - i had 35 hours fasted, 13 eating. And I damn well ate anything whatsoever, just trying to make sure that i was regularly taking in protein one way or another. Glasses of milk with oreos smeared with peanut butter for instance

Overall its just making sure you still the get the calories and your general macro goals in, so if you are shooting for 200g protein and 80g healthy fats, so long as you get those its not entirely critical where the rest come from. Sure avoid high fructose corn syrup, but outside of that....
  15. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.94%

hmmm i might try the 16/8 idea gonna take sum plannin ot in regards to wrokouts and what not though i usually work out later in teh day so im gonn ahve to look into how to do that....any sugggestions?
  16. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.9%

hmmm i might try the 16/8 idea gonna take sum plannin ot in regards to wrokouts and what not though i usually work out later in teh day so im gonn ahve to look into how to do that....any sugggestions?
    pretty simple, don't start eating till 1 in the afternoon, eat thru till 9pm.
  17. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.57%

Dude, read the post titled the leangains guide on leangains.com. It is straight forward.
  18. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.18%

This is cool, ive read this many times. Might have to try one day. Anyone eat a lot and fast once a week?
  19. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.86%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I think my fat ass will have to try something along these lines.
  20. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.94%

yea maybe ill jsut fast completely on an off daay and jsut eat whatever I want all day the next day......and make sure to train legs that day too lol
  21. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.29%

yea maybe ill jsut fast completely on an off daay and jsut eat whatever I want all day the next day......and make sure to train legs that day too lol
    This is close to what I do. The fasting days are hard, but the eating days are nice - I still monitor my cals though.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
  22. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.94%

do u eat 2 days worht of cals on ur feeding days then?
  23. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  270 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.51%

ive been messing with it now trying a keto diet while fasting 8/16, i had been just keto previously so i will see how this turns out.
  24. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.9%

yepper. for me it was 6000 calories/0 calories. Fun to stuff down 6k in a day, the beauty was I didn't feel bad about having 6 eggs, 4 slices of bacon, 4 pancakes and half a cup of maple syrup for breakfast
  25. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.94%

gotta try that lol.....how were your energy levels though....I have a football game tomrorow and was thinking of trying it out but don't wanna be dead.....
  26. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.9%

then dont start it tomorrow. After a week or two, energy levels seemed workable, but first couple of fast days will drive you crazy
  27. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.94%

damn...well its onyl like flag football, i just relaly wanan be able to eat liek a pig the next day lol
  28. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.9%

well, you don't really start seeing max hormonal benefits till after 3-6 weeks on it, so you want to make sure you start out successfully so that you do keep it up is all.
  29. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.29%

No. I eat like I would on a normal day, accordingly to my goals.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
  30. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    pretty simple, don't start eating till 1 in the afternoon, eat thru till 9pm.
    I could do this, as long as i went right to bed at 10:00 pm and slept untill noon the next day.
  31. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.18%

this seems very doable, i may have to play with this sooner rather then later

Similar Forum Threads

1. Intermittent Fasting and PowerChews
    By Milas in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-09-2011, 12:24 AM
  2. intermittent fasting
    By Shavani in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 11:47 PM
  3. Intermittent Fasting
    By trackstud100m in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 18