Overtrained!

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
I' was wondering how i should eat on my time off from cardio and lifting?I got to take a week off cause my body is starting to shut down on me.Losing the spark i once had about lifting all and all im not recovering anymore.Weight i usally lifted is starting to go down.I also have low t-level which im on gel for but anyway i was thinking about dropping carbs down to 40-50g a day and uping fat.I've been eating 2400cal with little fat and 140g carbs a day.Im 5'11 and 187lb been losing around 2-3lbs a week went from 16%to13%bf in 4weeks.just need to know if i should eat at maint. cal which is 2500 or drop to 2000-2200 main thing i want recovery.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I' was wondering how i should eat on my time off from cardio and lifting?I got to take a week off cause my body is starting to shut down on me.Losing the spark i once had about lifting all and all im not recovering anymore.Weight i usally lifted is starting to go down.I also have low t-level which im on gel for but anyway i was thinking about dropping carbs down to 40-50g a day and uping fat.I've been eating 2400cal with little fat and 140g carbs a day.Im 5'11 and 187lb been losing around 2-3lbs a week went from 16%to13%bf in 4weeks.just need to know if i should eat at maint. cal which is 2500 or drop to 2000-2200 main thing i want recovery.
Eat at Maintenance or just below during your time off training. If you're only having a week off, then I would say go for Maintenance, because you want to recover as best as possible. I don't recommend dropping carbohydrates so low - you want to have energy, and if you've been having them as low, then that can be contributing to your lack of performance. You also need a reasonable amount of fat - if you have low Testosterone levels, having low fat is not going to help, since it contributes to Testosterone production.

~Rosie~

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You "lost the spark" because you're dieting, not necessarily because you're overtraining. And from my understanding, T-Gel doesn't work very well for feelings of well-being.

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
Eat at Maintenance or just below during your time off training. If you're only having a week off, then I would say go for Maintenance, because you want to recover as best as possible. I don't recommend dropping carbohydrates so low - you want to have energy, and if you've been having them as low, then that can be contributing to your lack of performance. You also need a reasonable amount of fat - if you have low Testosterone levels, having low fat is not going to help, since it contributes to Testosterone production.

~Rosie~
I was going to drop my carbs for the fat to help out with my testosterone level.By having whole eggs ,avocados,salmon,ect..and use the fat for energy.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was going to drop my carbs for the fat to help out with my testosterone level.By having whole eggs ,avocados,salmon,ect..and use the fat for energy.
Why? You've admittedly been dieting for a while now, so your body will thank you more for INcreasing your calories during your recovery week! And when you start back training again, know that you do NOT have to perpetually be below Maintenance to effectively and successfully achieve fat loss!

~Rosie~

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
You "lost the spark" because you're dieting, not necessarily because you're overtraining. And from my understanding, T-Gel doesn't work very well for feelings of well-being.
No,im just dredding every workout now i have bad fatigue during day and it takes all i got to get though one workout or a day of life.I have no idea what you mean by wellbeing im on this gel just to get my t-up.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No,im just dredding every workout now i have bad fatigue during day and it takes all i got to get though one workout or a day of life.I have no idea what you mean by wellbeing im on this gel just to get my t-up.
Testosterone affects how you feel. Low T = you feel like crap. T-Gel doesnt have the reputation of helping with that. Dreading every workout and life in general sounds to me like you have hormonal problems.

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
I almost forgot i also been lifting or doing cardio for about 3yrs. everyday now (little addiction proplem)beats smoking crack and drinking i guess!!

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I almost forgot i also been lifting or doing cardio for about 3yrs. everyday now (little addiction proplem)beats smoking crack and drinking i guess!!
You haven't had even a DAY'S break in THREE YEARS? No wonder you feel like crap and your body is fighting against you - it's telling you you NEED a break! At least schedule in a day OFF ALL TRAINING ONCE A WEEK, and then a week every 8-16 weeks off all or just resistance training. If you don't learn something from this, it's about time you pay attention to your body, because trust me, if you do not, next time it "tells" you something it's not going to be so nice about it, and by then, you could have a serious problem.

~Rosie~

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you understand that cutting your fat too low was probably what caused your testosterone to drop, and that now that you are on the gel raising your fat intake will do 0 for your natural testosterone levels as they are going to be suppressed by the gel right?

Xerxes

Awards
  • Established
you understand that cutting your fat too low was probably what caused your testosterone to drop, and that now that you are on the gel raising your fat intake will do 0 for your natural testosterone levels as they are going to be suppressed by the gel right?
Very good advice from all contributors.

Is the t-gel prescribed by a physician, or self-medication?

If I were in your situation I would drop the gel, unless you have chronically low test levels and are under a physicians order to take it, and attempt to increase your bodies own natural test levels via a stable/maintenance diet with lots of healthy carbs, fats and protein. Losing 2-3 pounds per week isn't healthy; doing this for an extended amount of time will be extremely detrimental and taxing to your body, thus the low energy and lack of recovery (all products of low test levels).

By discontinuing the extreme dieting you are doing, you will allow your body to reach a point of homeostasis, or balance. Adjusting your diet and taking a week off from cardio or lifting should help to restore your "vitality." I would maintain a stable maintenance diet for 6 weeks, no more "cutting" or "bulking," slightly adjusting your caloric/nutrient intake (carbs, proteins, fat) around your workouts.

If you haven't taken a break in 3 years, which is incredible, I would suggest taking more than one week off. Perhaps two? Assess yourself during your time off, take notice of increased energy levels, etc. and let your body heal itself, and finally return to a new routine/regimen once your body is able.

Just my 2 cents.

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
Very good advice from all contributors.

Is the t-gel prescribed by a physician, or self-medication?

If I were in your situation I would drop the gel, unless you have chronically low test levels and are under a physicians order to take it, and attempt to increase your bodies own natural test levels via a stable/maintenance diet with lots of healthy carbs, fats and protein. Losing 2-3 pounds per week isn't healthy; doing this for an extended amount of time will be extremely detrimental and taxing to your body, thus the low energy and lack of recovery (all products of low test levels).

By discontinuing the extreme dieting you are doing, you will allow your body to reach a point of homeostasis, or balance. Adjusting your diet and taking a week off from cardio or lifting should help to restore your "vitality." I would maintain a stable maintenance diet for 6 weeks, no more "cutting" or "bulking," slightly adjusting your caloric/nutrient intake (carbs, proteins, fat) around your workouts.

If you haven't taken a break in 3 years, which is incredible, I would suggest taking more than one week off. Perhaps two? Assess yourself during your time off, take notice of increased energy levels, etc. and let your body heal itself, and finally return to a new routine/regimen once your body is able.

Just my 2 cents.
The gel im on is from a doctor my t-level was or might still be 216 when tests were done.I've only been on this diet for 4wks before i was eating plenty of fat so that's not why my t-level is so low.

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
Atleast i had 1 heck of a run.Now its time to recover.Let my thyroid level come up and get rid of all the aches and pain.Down but not out for the count!And 2weeks sounds good buddy!I thank you all