Oatmeal soaking?

gaijininjapan

Awards
  • Established
So, after getting a new rice cooker for my parents, I'm looking up some rice cooker recipes, and came across soaked oats...

I saw the following quote, and wonder what everyone's take on this is? Seems like many people are promoting adding raw oats to their protein shakes, etc. But is that really the best thing to do? And I sort of like the idea of prepping breakfast the night before, and having a nice hot bowl ready in the morning.

Here's the quote and link below.

"All grains contain phytic acid (an organic acid in which phosphorous is bound) in the outer layer or bran. Untreated phytic acid can combine with calcium, magnesium, copper, iron especially zinc in the intestinal track and block their absorption. This is why a diet high in unfermented whole grains may led to serious mineral deficiencies and bone loss. The modern misguided practice of consuming large amounts of unprocessed bran often improves colon transit time at first but may lead to irritable bowel syndrome and, in the long term, many other adverse effects. Soaking allows enzyme, lactobacilli and other helpful organisms to break down and neutralize phytic acid. As little as seven hours of soaking in warm acidulated water will neutralize a large portion of phytic acid in grains. The simple practice of soaking cracked or rolled cereal grains overnight will vastly improve their nutritional benefits."

Why It’s VERY Important To Soak Oats Before You Eat Them — High on health

snuggy

Awards
Health benefits of Oats.

Insoluble fiber & phytochemicals have cancer fighting property as they control certain bile acids reducing their toxicity.

Soluble fiber reduce LDL(bad) cholesterol without lowering HDL(good) cholesterol which controls weight gain & risks of heart attacks.

Soluble fiber slows down the starch digestion which helps daibetic patients to maintain blood sugar levels under control.

Oats are rich in Vitamin E, Zinc, Selenium, Copper, Iron, Manganese & Magnesium and protein.

gaijininjapan

Awards
  • Established
Apparently, you didn't read my question. I was asking if adding RAW oats was the best thing to do. In case I wasn't clear... if this article has merit, soaking the oats the night before, and then adding it to your morning shake would be a better alternative than just plain dried oats.

Evil Eagle

Awards
That is interesting. It's sort of like how you can't break down the protein from a raw egg, yet body builders used to swear by it. I'm going to see if I can find more on this.

Sent from my Android device

snuggy

Awards
Soaking benefits in digestion as it breaks down the phytates for the body to absorb the nutrients properly. Additionally it also reduces the cooking time, gives a porridge texture and expands which increases the quantity. However, we need to remember that phytic acid is a source of mineral phosphorous and inositol which are potential health supportive substances.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
so overall woudl u say its better to soak them or not?

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Soaking your oats is not necessary and I will go as far as to say that it is a complete waste of time based on false information. This website takes the idea of soaking oats from a book written by Sally Fallon who has never done her own nutritional research and likes to cherrypick whatever studies help her sell books.

These are her credentials taken from her website: "Ms. Fallon received a Bachelors Degree in English with honors from Stanford University, and a Masters Degree in English with high honors from UCLA. She has served as president of her local citizens group and is actively involved in community landscaping projects. She speaks French and Spanish. Her interests include music, gardening, metaphysics . . . and of course cooking. She lives in Washington, DC where her children, now grown, enjoy coming home from time to time for a good meal."

She is an expert in the literature field, not nutrition. Just because she doesn't have a degree in nutrition or any physical science, does not mean that she is completely ignorant, but I have yet to see her show definitive proof to back up anything that she sells in her books.

So that is my long way of saying, sure, if you want to waste time and soak your oats, feel free, but it is not needed and nobody is going to develop mineral deficiencies due to too much oatmeal:)

BigTyler

Awards
I'm pretty sure most rolled oats aren't raw and have the bran removed from them.

gaijininjapan

Awards
  • Established
ah well, I soak them anyways since I prepare them in my rice cooker and set the timer so I can get up and eat right away...

shocknyou

shocknyou

Awards
the only thing you need to keep in mind about grains is to eat sprouted grains unprocessed
the rest is trivial

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mindgame Nutrition / Health 27
DK0313 Recipes 0
DK0313 Recipes 0
DK0313 Recipes 0
DK0313 Recipes 0