Frying with Oilve Oil, any different than room temp?

monsterbox

monsterbox

Awards
  • Established
I'm currently recomping for a bb show. I eat lot of chicken and brown rice as my primary sources of calories. I generally cook my chicken in a frying pan on top of extra virgin olive oil.

I'v heard that olive oil is good for your HDL, and because its a solubale fat at room temperature, its not unhealthy and will not cause weight gain issues when used at reasonable ammounts. Now, if it is used when frying will it turn into a bad fat?

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
olive oil has a very high point of oxidizing so it doesnt turn into trans fat. best oil to use for your purposes is coconut oil. make sure its unrefined and organic. coconut oil has an even higher point of oxidizing and is made from medium chain triglycerides that very rapidly convert into energy. coconut oil can even increase your metabolic rate. look it up

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
olive oil has a very high point of oxidizing so it doesnt turn into trans fat. best oil to use for your purposes is coconut oil. make sure its unrefined and organic. coconut oil has an even higher point of oxidizing and is made from medium chain triglycerides that very rapidly convert into energy. coconut oil can even increase your metabolic rate. look it up
Never new this

:goodpost:

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
yeah coconut oil has tons and tons of health benefits

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
Coconit oil is also an excellent mosturizer for callused hands and feet. I have petroleum dermatitis so I can't use OTC lotions.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
yeah i use it daily on my face as a moisturizer, also on my scalp when it gets dry in the winter months

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
I LOVE Co-Co-Nuts!

But I've always stayed away from Coconut Oil ... I remember a news story once that said movie theaters pop their popcorn with it - and supposedly this made movie theater popcorn the most dangerous and lethal food on the planet.

But I think that was bunk - I will have to try me some coconut oil here soon!

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I LOVE Co-Co-Nuts!

But I've always stayed away from Coconut Oil ... I remember a news story once that said movie theaters pop their popcorn with it - and supposedly this made movie theater popcorn the most dangerous and lethal food on the planet.

But I think that was bunk - I will have to try me some coconut oil here soon!
its all part of the anti saturated fat propaganda. coconut oil has a myriad of health benefits. there are some populations of people that eat a large amount of coconut in their diet and never experience any of Western diseases or illnesses.

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
its all part of the anti saturated fat propaganda. coconut oil has a myriad of health benefits. there are some populations of people that eat a large amount of coconut in their diet and never experience any of Western diseases or illnesses.

I think you are right man - the same kind of thinking that said that nuts were bad cuz they were too high in fat and stuff like that. I rebelled on that stuff long ago but for some reason I just kept staying away from Coconut Oil.

Imma go get me some - because, like I said - I like Coconuts. Right now I am doing two 40 minute sessions of cardio a day because it's Girl Scout Cookie season and I LUVS ME those coconut cookies!! MMMMMM.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I think you are right man - the same kind of thinking that said that nuts were bad cuz they were too high in fat and stuff like that. I rebelled on that stuff long ago but for some reason I just kept staying away from Coconut Oil.

Imma go get me some - because, like I said - I like Coconuts. Right now I am doing two 40 minute sessions of cardio a day because it's Girl Scout Cookie season and I LUVS ME those coconut cookies!! MMMMMM.
when you go to buy coconut oil make sure its Unrefined Virgin and Organic, also make sure its cold pressed. vitamin shoppe's brand is very good, ive been using it for a few years.

freefall365

freefall365

Awards
  • Established
indeed coconut oil is awesome stuff! I take tablespoons of the stuff to the head. However when I try to fry with it I find it burns up pretty easily :question: i typically fry with olive oil and have great results, but it's kind of expensive.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Can you find coconut oil in chain grocery stores or organic shops only?
you can find it in some grocery stores, like Whole foods or something. I get mine from Vitamin Shoppe. they have a few brands but their brand is the cheapest and very high quality. im sure other health/supplement stores carry coconut as well.

freefall365

freefall365

Awards
  • Established
my local Giant grocery store even has organic coconut oil. it should be pretty easy to find, but i get mine online cheaper.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
again, make sure its Unrefined and cold pressed!! organic is also a plus

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Can I pan fry white fish with coconut oil?

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
Thanks!

Just wanted to make sure ;) didn't want to ruin my fish!!
What kind of fish are you eating? All I eat at the moment is flounder. I'd like to try something else but I refuse to eat talopia. I here they are used to clean the tanks at fish farms.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What kind of fish are you eating? All I eat at the moment is flounder. I'd like to try something else but I refuse to eat talopia. I here they are used to clean the tanks at fish farms.
I eat Tilapia lol

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ha... I don't even know how to spell it. I won't eat that or catfish. Mud suckers.
You have a link? I read everything on wiki and didn't see anything I should be worried about. I love it for the price but I def do not wanna feed my temple crap food lol

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
You have a link? I read everything on wiki and didn't see anything I should be worried about. I love it for the price but I def do not wanna feed my temple crap food lol
Most everything you'll find says they are grain fed.
Evidently tilapia is not that good for you.

Farm-raised tilapia, one of the most highly consumed fish in America, has very low levels of beneficial omega-3 fatty acids and, perhaps worse, very high levels of omega-6 fatty acids, according to new research from Wake Forest University School of Medicine.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B758G-4SV7KCR-N&_user=1111158&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=1111158&md5=dffb259937be136456f004141f810772

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Nutrition / Health 5
Supplements 49