Make sure you're getting your vitamin C!!!

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Just a reminder that vitamin C is one of the most legit vitamin supplements you can be taking. It's cheap, proven and awesome! A lot of people hear vitamin C and are like, yeah, yeay, vitamin C... Citris fruits and stuff, right? But if you research it you'll find that it's definitely one of the most proven health supplements on the market.

I usually take 500mg tablet with about every meal, every day, not counting the extra vitamin C I get in natural foods or other vitamin sources. Usually I'm taking in about 2500-3000mg daily. You can technically take in too much, but all that means is some short term diarreah, maybe some digestive upset, but nothing serious. If that happens, just reduce the amount you're taking. I've taken a lot of vitamin C before and never had any problems like this, so I wouldn't really worry about it anyway.

Just a friendly reminder from your supporters of vitamin C

Peace

Hustlers

Hustlers

Awards
  • Established
... u never stated a reason on why u think vit c is so important ur'e just saying to take it lol

Jacked.N.Tan

Jacked.N.Tan

Awards
notsureifserious. i doubt mega dosing it will give u any benefit. its water soluble so u have to start over the next day. almost impossible to be c defecient.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
Yeah, I've been taking between 4000-5000mg per day for the past 12+ years. I just pop a 1000mg tab with each solid meal and I'm set.

LowSodium

LowSodium

Awards
I take 5000 mg of Vitamin C a day, spread out throughout the day. There are study's that show it fights cancer. No joke, since I've been taking Vitamin C supplements ofr the past 2 years, I have not gotten sick. The fever/body ache/chest cold flu just went around my office and it passed over me. Some could count this as coincidence. I believe otherwise.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Also a big fan of Vitamin C :)

There have been some discussions of it increasing half life of orally ingested supplements, as well as boosting the muscle pump during training.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
invest in buffered version Vitamin C instead of ascorbic acid, google the benefits

snuggy

Awards
Benefits of Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid)

Good for immune defense system, protection from viruses and bacteria, healing wounds, reducing cholesterol, cell lifespan, preventing scurvy. It's also a natural laxative.

Foods

Citrus fruits, kiwi fruit, berries, tomatoes, cauliflower, potatoes, green leafy vegetables and peppers.

Deficiency

May cause tiredness, bleeding gums and slow-healing of wounds

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
How about a couple bullet points please? :)
ok just for you

*most important thing is stomach sensitivity. buffered combines vit C with calcium or mag which helps with digestion, also its easier on the teeth. ascorbic acid is made out of corn, which presents other host of issues

*this also creates a "time release" effect which makes mega dosing more effective

there are other benefits but i have to work right now, maybe ill dig up more later

Hawk

Hawk

Awards
  • Established
So if I'm reading the label correctly on my APS CN bottle....

4 Caps per serving, 3000mgs Vit C per serving.....

6 caps is 4500mgs + my multi at around 100mgs + food intake I should be good to go.

DISREGARD ABOVE STATEMENT I'M MISTAKEN.

Last edited:

snuggy

Awards
Benefits of Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid)

Good for immune defense system, protection from viruses and bacteria, healing wounds, reducing cholesterol, cell lifespan, preventing scurvy. It's also a natural laxative.

Foods

Citrus fruits, kiwi fruit, berries, tomatoes, cauliflower, potatoes, green leafy vegetables and peppers.

Deficiency

May cause tiredness, bleeding gums and slow-healing of wounds

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So if I'm reading the label correctly on my APS CN bottle....

4 Caps per serving, 3000mgs Vit C per serving.....

6 caps is 4500mgs + my multi at around 100mgs + food intake I should be good to go.
You're not reading that right at all bud. It's a prob blend of creatine nitrate and vitc...

Hawk

Hawk

Awards
  • Established
^

Ok, I'm an idiot.

It's 3000mgs per serving and because it's a prop blend we don't know exactly how much vitC is in there.....right?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd love to take more. I should probably start downing the ascorbic acid powder from the tub at my lab. On another note, not sure why one user brought up the fact that it's hard to be Vitamin C deficient as an argument against megadosing it. Effects are compounded from taking in above required Vitamin C doses - you're doing this to get more of the benefits, not to avoid side effects associated with vitamin C deficiency. Again, nobody here is worried about getting scurvy, but rather either want to control allergic reactions, control higher cortisol levels, or generally boost their overall sense of well-being.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
This topic reminds me I need to buy me some more Vitamin C caps...

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
ok just for you

*most important thing is stomach sensitivity. buffered combines vit C with calcium or mag which helps with digestion, also its easier on the teeth. ascorbic acid is made out of corn, which presents other host of issues

*this also creates a "time release" effect which makes mega dosing more effective

there are other benefits but i have to work right now, maybe ill dig up more later
Thanks a lot, so the buffered creatine eases digestion issues and lasts longer after orally ingested?

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Thanks a lot, so the buffered creatine eases digestion issues and lasts longer after orally ingested?
those are the main two advantages. it tastes like complete a$$ though so watch out

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I think it's worth noting that when the climate changes and it starts getting colder out is a particularly vital time to make sure you are taking adequate or even more than adequate vitamin c, lol. The climate change is tough on the body, especially if you suffer from any form of thyroid/adrenal problems.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey guys I was just searching anaboliminds for information about Vitamin C. Not many people do this anything, they all seem to just ask without searching nowadays. Anyway I found this thread and I'm glad I did. I just started taking Vitamin C and have been taking 4 grams a day. 1 gram tablets spread throughout the day. I started it because I thought I was coming down with something. Now I think I'm gonna continue to take it. By the way I'm feeling better. Good stuff. Wish I had started taking it years ago.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
T bone, might want to spread the doses into 500 mg per dose I have read from several sources 1 gram at once can actually be pro-oxidant.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I'm just wondering if instead of taking Vit. C if it would be better to just eat an orange daily..

SMC USA

SMC USA

Awards
I'm just wondering if instead of taking Vit. C if it would be better to just eat an orange daily..
the whole fruit does have other vitamins and a little fiber along with 60Mg or so of vitamin C .. and of course calories .. 65ish ?? .. IMHO the whole fruit is always better than a pill or powder

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Never post an article based on a research paper. Post the actual paper. Common editorial writers have no idea how to interpret research. I didn't look at the article but the fact that it is an article and not a paper makes me not care to read it.

Jay462

Awards
Never post an article based on a research paper. Post the actual paper. Common editorial writers have no idea how to interpret research. I didn't look at the article but the fact that it is an article and not a paper makes me not care to read it.
exactly. especially when the actual research results were different than what was reported in Nature and the NYT article!

I can't post links due to post count, but... from the vitamin c foundation website:

There isn't a single shred of hard evidence to back up the speculative health claims published by Jane Brody in the New York Times, i.e. that doses of Vitamin C above the RDA may be harmful in any way, shape or form. No DNA damage was demonstrated by the English experiment. The measurement that showed potential damage was an old way to measure DNA damage. The reason for the experiment was to evaluate a newer technique, less prone to error. Only the old technique indicated possible damage. The newer technique did not. This fact went unreported by Nature.
Consider this: If vitamin C did cause DNA damage, most of the wild kingdom would not be able to reproduce without mutation. Almost all animals make vitamin C in high amounts.

So what is going on here? It does not follow by logic that Vitamin C is harmful, nor would the consequences postulated by Jane Brody necessarily follow.

These fears are pure speculation...

Jymis

Jymis

Awards
Here I thought I was covered at 1g a day. Guess I'm headed out to get a bottle and start taking more.

fanzdslpwr1

Awards
yea but how much vitamin C is good? I know from taking vitamin E (toco-8) it decreases the amount of vitamin C in the body. I had bloodwork last march and I was taking 1 gram of C daily along with 1 scoop of toco-8 and my bloodwork reflected very low amount of vitamin C. right now I take 2 grams. is 2 grams too much? who knows

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good info in here.

I know Dr. Houser recommends it at 500mg (per meal) and not above. I'd bought a couple bottles of 1g tabs a ways back, so I'll just split them :sombrero: