How much fiber is too much?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.

How much fiber is too much?

Hey guys I am just looking over my nutrient ratios etc and notice I have 69g of fiber in one day. I was reading on some random site about getting 30+ is great, but in that same article it talked about not going too high and recommended staying under 45g. I am taking in about 2850 calories if that matters. Thanks.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by houstontexas View Post
    Hey guys I am just looking over my nutrient ratios etc and notice I have 69g of fiber in one day. I was reading on some random site about getting 30+ is great, but in that same article it talked about not going too high and recommended staying under 45g. I am taking in about 2850 calories if that matters. Thanks.
    30 is a good number.Make sure that you're incorporating both soluble and insoluble fiber into your diet.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  193 lbs.

Well, you know you've had too much fiber if you can't stay off the toilet...
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.

I dont usually track my fiber intake, probally should but i eat whole wheat bread sometimes get double fiber i dunno i probally get around 30-40g a day and i havent had a problem with it.
  5. Registered User

30-40 is a good number from my experience. And definitely do what southpaw said and make sure you are getting both solube AND insoluble. Too much of one without the other is NOT pleasant I can assure you.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Yeah I've eaten beans all day sometimes and made it up to~70g+ of fiber. Sometimes there is adjustments to accommodate all that fiber i.e. flatulence lol. I've also read ~30g is a good target number.

I think the body doesn't necessarily digest dietary fiber? So technically those calories don't count and perhaps some controversy over whether to count or not.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by LowSodium View Post
    Well, you know you've had too much fiber if you can't stay off the toilet...
    Hahaha! When I saw this thread I had planned on posting that your butt would likely tell you if you were taking in too much fiber. Seems someone already beat me to the punch.

Other than short term digestive problems, I wouldn't worry about taking in too much fiber. If you find that you're starting to have digestive upsets, just decrease the amount of fiber to see if that was the cause.

I take in a lot of fiber as well and as of yet I've never noticed any noticeable problems.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Fiber Damage/fiber Saturation Training
    By datBtrue in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 09-18-2009, 10:58 AM
  2. Fiber
    By TryinToGetBIG in forum Supplements
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 02:09 AM
  3. Fiber
    By T-Bar in forum Weight Loss