cheat meals

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
my new diet im on i eat 500 below maint. for 6days and on 1 day i eat 400 over to help out my thyroid and get some carbs in me i workout 6and seven days a week most of the time but my first carb up day was sat. and made pancakes ect. my carbs all came from fast carbs but did have some fat to slow them down alittle and i eat 110%clean rest of the time even bulking but i felt like crap from eating crap all day long i thought i would have all kinds of energy but it was not the case.anyone else go though this?:wtf:

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Was that seriously all one sentence? Holy crap.

First off, what is eating clean, to you? What is your BMR and are you sure you're where you say, calorie-wise? How do you keep track.

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
eating clean to me is whole gains,lean meats ,fish low fat or no fat yougurt cottage cheese,veggies bascics.at 3300cal i held and lost little weight.now im working out 1 more day a week but cut back on morning cardio to make up .and i make meals for week i read when needed for nut. and measure everything for week (oz. tbs.ect..) never eat out no drinks with cal. (except whey)and stick to it and dont add anything

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
OK, here's my input. On your low-cal days, I suggest working in a higher percentage of slow carbs to stave off that "crash" feeling, and pay attention to when you get them too. Keep them around workout time if at all possible. I'm a firm believer that most people who work out have an extremely distorted idea of how much protein they need in a day. You don't *need* one gram per pound of body weight; that's absurd. One gram per KILOGRAM is a way better estimate, and where that number originally came from that everyone loves to mis-quote now. You'll feel a lot better getting your calories from carbs than an excess of protein. Your body isn't going to catabolize muscle as long as it's glycogen stores are fine. I'm guessing if you do this, you won't even feel like you need a re-feed day.

That said...on your re-feed days, as much as you can help it, avoid the sugar. Most of it isn't going to fuel you up, it's going to be fat and leave your glycogen levels roughly the same. Aside from that, you're going to crash shortly after eating and want more anyway. My wife started making whole wheat pancakes and I like them better than the white flour kind. Things like that might help with the cravings, since it's often a texture or a specific flavor profile you crave, and not the sugar itself.

If you decide that you need the sugary stuff for mental health or whatever, use it as your recovery meal. Most of the time, when I feel like I really need a cheat meal, I'll let myself drop low on calories that day (or sometimes even a short fast), have a hard workout, and then eat the junk guilt free.

Hopefully this will help with the diet situation. For the run-on sentences, maybe pick up a high school English book...

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
thanks, didn't know i was back in school and getting graded on my paper.

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
One more thing,i don't take in the extra cal. at one shot i spread it out all day. About an extra 150cal. at every meal.Don't like eating oatmeal before bed but did help with cardio this morning.Hope i got an "A"on this paper.

bashman

bashman

Awards
  • Established
Pizza! Pizza! Pizza! Not a fckin protein shake, of all things you bring me pizza!

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
Yeah,when i ate pizza back in the day,this is no joke its been over 4yrs since i had a pizza .I got ham,onion,and pineapple and extra cheese .Doesn't sound to good now though .

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Geez, dude, I wanted to help you but I can't understand a word of what you are saying.

Seriously, proof read your stuff...

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
Geez, dude, I wanted to help you but I can't understand a word of what you are saying.

Seriously, proof read your stuff...
Only help i really need is why im i feeling worse when i up my cals on this one day.I do have a thyroid problem,i just started taking armour for it but jumping up cals for 1 day should help my thyroid too, but it seems like the opp. is happening.

bashman

bashman

Awards
  • Established
my new diet im on i eat 500 below maint. for 6days and on 1 day i eat 400 over to help out my thyroid and get some carbs in me i workout 6and seven days a week most of the time but my first carb up day was sat. and made pancakes ect. my carbs all came from fast carbs but did have some fat to slow them down alittle and i eat 110%clean rest of the time even bulking but i felt like crap from eating crap all day long i thought i would have all kinds of energy but it was not the case.anyone else go though this?:wtf:
Pizza! No but seriously I think thats your problem, as JohnRock suggested. Re-feeds aint about eating sh$t, you are supposed to refuel your glycogen stores with some useful nutrients, not pancakes all day. Cheat meals work when used strategically and are not an excuse for all day pig out.

Are you carb sensitive? Maybe you could get away with moderate carbs throughout the week instead of going low 6 days. Cutting is a gradual transformation. Maybe try out glycobol or N2Slin to help tolerate you carbs/nutrients better.

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
Pizza! No but seriously I think thats your problem, as JohnRock suggested. Re-feeds aint about eating sh$t, you are supposed to refuel your glycogen stores with some useful nutrients, not pancakes all day. Cheat meals work when used strategically and are not an excuse for all day pig out.

Are you carb sensitive? Maybe you could get away with moderate carbs throughout the week instead of going low 6 days. Cutting is a gradual transformation. Maybe try out glycobol or N2Slin to help tolerate you carbs/nutrients better.
Don't think im carb sensitive.I don't eat pancakes all day just that 1 morning then have bagel with peanut butter with 40g whey for a mid morn snack, lunch was pasta,96%beef and plain tomatoe sauce.So i had a fast carb at breakfast and mid- morn,and lunch.This sat i was going to just do the breakfast and switch to slow carbs for rest of day.This is first time in a couple of years that i ate reg.pancakes and pasta usally i eat spouted bread oatmeal ect.Isn't what i did suposed to shock your body for more muscle grorwth?

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Don't think im carb sensitive.I don't eat pancakes all day just that 1 morning then have bagel with peanut butter with 40g whey for a mid morn snack, lunch was pasta,96%beef and plain tomatoe sauce.So i had a fast carb at breakfast and mid- morn,and lunch.This sat i was going to just do the breakfast and switch to slow carbs for rest of day.This is first time in a couple of years that i ate reg.pancakes and pasta usally i eat spouted bread oatmeal ect.Isn't what i did suposed to shock your body for more muscle grorwth?
I don't think I have read one single "good" cheat meal from your posts.

Pancake? Bagel? Pizza? Cheat meal =/= eat whatever you feel like as long as it shows there are carbs in it.

Cheat meal = brown rice and chicken, whole grain pasta, whole grain bread, oats, sweet potatoes, veggies, etc.

NOT bagel, pancake, french fries, hash browns, pizza.