How Smoking Effects Your Health

TipTopShape

TipTopShape

Awards
  • Established
This is not a warning it's a reminder. Because some people still smoking although they all know what is cause to their health. I came across this article and I thought it's good to share it with you guys.

Source: freeonlinehealth.com

Although the negative health effects of cigarette smoking cannot be debated, it remains the single most common cause of preventable deaths. Each year, over 430,000 people die as a result of a smoking related disease. Yet, over 50 million continue to smoke, including over 3 million teens. An estimated three thousand teenagers begin to smoke each day, and one thousand of them will eventually die as a result. According to the American Lung Association, cigarette smoking leads to 87% of lung cancers, emphysema and chronic bronchitis. Healthcare and lost productivity costs of $97.2 billion dollars per years arise from smoking related illnesses. Cigarettes contain over 19 known cancer-causing chemicals in addition to nicotine.

Quitting is a frustrating and difficult proposition for these people who despite the knowledge that they are seriously harming their bodies. Addiction to nicotine causes very uncomfortable symptoms of with drawl. Irritation, agitation and anxiety as well as loss of concentration, sleep disturbances, headaches, coughing and cravings.

Smoking cigarettes is so compelling because of the effects of nicotine. A stimulant, nicotine causes a temporary increase in alertness and a calm feeling. And it can be incredibly addictive. Some studies have found nicotine to be more highly addictive that cocaine or heroin. Additionally, it suppresses the appetite and smokers tend to keep weight off.
How Smoking Harms Your Body

Here’s why cigarette smoke causes so much damage to our bodies. While nicotine itself isn't thought to be carcinogenic, the highly addictive drug is toxic and potentially lethal in large doses. Long-term smokers have a much higher risk of developing a host of life threatening diseases. Just about any cancer you can think of, including cancer of the lung, mouth, nose, voice box, lip, tongue, nasal sinus, eso****us, throat, pancreas, bone marrow, kidney, cervix, liver, bladder and stomach can result from smoking.

Heart and lungs are most damaged by smoking

Lung diseases such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, which includes chronic bronchitis and emphysema, are largely due to smoking. Heart disease, which includes coronary artery disease, heart attack and stroke are far more common in smokers. One of the effects of nicotine is constricting the blood vessels, which in turn causes high blood pressure. Another effect is raising your heart rate, which adds extra stress on your heart.

Not only does smoking affect the heart, but every part of your circulatory system. Your blood becomes thicker and stickier, further taxing the heart. The lining of the blood vessels is damaged, allowing fat deposits to adhere, and is most likely a significant cause of arteriosclerosis, or hardening of the arteries.

As a result, diminished circulation to the feet and hands leads to painful neuropathy, and impaired ability to fight local infections. This can lead to gangrene and sometimes requires amputation.

Inhaled smoke contains poison

The inhaled smoke contains many harmful substances, such as tar, carbon monoxide, hydrogen cyanide, heavy metals and free radicals. Each of these damages the body in various ways. Tar is sticky and brown, containing many chemicals known to be carcinogenic, including benzopyrene. It also and stains teeth, fingernails and lung tissue.

It causes damage to the mouth, teeth and gums, as well as ulcers of the digestive system.
Osteoporosis is caused by a leeching of calcium from the bones and predisposes smokers to fractures. The hip joint is particularly vulnerable to fractures and Avascular Necrosis, a disorder where the bone dies.

Because carbon monoxide, a major component of the smoke, binds with higher affinity to hemoglobin, it displaces oxygen carried by the blood. Since less oxygen is carried within each blood cell, the heart must pump more blood through the body to transfer the same amount of oxygen to the cells.

Hydrogen cyanide prevents the lungs from cleaning themselves of poisonous chemicals. Cilia, the tiny hairs that help to clean the lungs by moving foreign substances out are damaged. Harmful chemicals are allowed to collect in the lungs, preventing oxygenation of the blood.

Other chemicals in smoke that damage the lungs include hydrocarbons, nitrous oxides, organic acids, phenols and oxidizing agents. Free radicals are highly reactive chemicals that can damage the heart muscles and blood vessels When they react with cholesterol plaques are formed, which increase the risk of arterial damage, heart disease and stroke. Finally, tobacco smoke contains dangerous metals including arsenic, cadmium, and lead. Many of these are known to cause cancer.

The tars in smoke can trigger cancer of the eso****us and throat. Smoking causes increased stomach acid secretion, leading to heartburn and ulcers. Smokers have higher rates of deadly pancreatic cancer. Many of the carcinogens from cigarettes are excreted in the urine where their presence can cause bladder cancer, which is often fatal. High blood pressure from smoking can damage the kidneys.

Smoking Damages Other Systems

Smoking adversely affects the reproductive system, especially in women. Many female smokers experience irregular or absent periods. Fertility is compromised, and menopause occurs one to two years earlier. The risk of cervical cancer is increased. For women over 35 taking oral contraceptives, there is a significantly increased risk of stroke or heart attack if they are smokers. Men, experience lower sperm count, more abnormal sperm with decreased motility. There is also an effect on the man’s level of sex hormones. Decrease circulations also predisposes male smokers to impotence as a result of overall compromised circulation and damage to the blood vessels in the penis. .
Smoker’s immune systems are impaired, leaving the smoker vulnerable to a host of minor infections. A smoker needs more time to recover from infections than a non-smoker. Coupled with diminished circulation, a smoker’s risk of infection from minor cuts or abrasions to the arms or legs skyrockets.

Cigarette smoking decreases bone density, promoting osteoporosis. Skin becomes dry and loses it’s elasticity as a result of poor circulation. Premature wrinkling is common. Irritation and inflammation of the stomach and intestines is frequently seen, including painful ulceration of the entire GI tract.

Even more serious are the risks to an unborn child if the mother smokes. Miscarriage is more common in women who smoke. Infants of smoking mothers are at increased risk of low birth weight, prematurity, cleft lip and palate, infections and SIDS.

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
is it true that a pack will cut down your t-level by 15%??

ntornado

Awards
I recently was trying to help a friend complaining about intense DOMS depsite (in my opinion) having a pretty weak leg routine which included mostly cardio. We tried every recovery supplement, contrast showers and nothing helped so I gave up! A week later I find out he is a heavy smoker!

drudixon

Awards
I recently was trying to help a friend complaining about intense DOMS depsite (in my opinion) having a pretty weak leg routine which included mostly cardio. We tried every recovery supplement, contrast showers and nothing helped so I gave up! A week later I find out he is a heavy smoker!
I don't think smoking ever made my doms better or worse. The biggest drawback from smoking was lack of appetite. Maybe your friend simply doesn't eat enough to recover.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
thank you so much for posting this. i dont smoke much (1-2 cigs a day) but after reading this i was once again reminded about how nasty this $hit is. im using this weekend to completely stop the dirty habit. i train so much BJJ i need my lung capacity and my wind. sometimes you need a little reminder to get you going.

lightemup

lightemup

Awards
  • Established
Its so good to hear others that have quit this SH*TTY habit. Im twenty and i started smoking back in highschool. Probably one of the hardest things to quit. I stopped smoking three days ago and wow... i can already feel the benefits. My libido is back, my joints dont ache, and ive been coughing up so much tar its ridiculous. I hope everyone who reads this takes a chance at quiting smoking if they are smokers. You never really know how much better you will feel until you try!

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Its so good to hear others that have quit this SH*TTY habit. Im twenty and i started smoking back in highschool. Probably one of the hardest things to quit. I stopped smoking three days ago and wow... i can already feel the benefits. My libido is back, my joints dont ache, and ive been coughing up so much tar its ridiculous. I hope everyone who reads this takes a chance at quiting smoking if they are smokers. You never really know how much better you will feel until you try!
awesome man im doing it this weekend and never looking back!!!

want2lose

Awards
Nice Thread!

I quit tobacco cigarettes 1 year and a month ago. I now use electronic cigarettes which are basically very similar to the nicotine inhalers found in pharmacies only 100 times better.

I have done my homework on these, so for the skeptic readers I suggest you do the same before deciding your judgement on these things. Nicotine is just a stimulant like caffine ect. So if you can get a nicotine fix without the 100's of chemicals found in tobacco cigarettes, you do not crave them as much. The gum, patch and scripts did not work for me..

I breath 100 times better!

If you would like to learn more about this stuff, please feel free to PM me any questions you may have...

jgassen15

jgassen15

Awards
nicotine's not what's dangerious, it actually has potentinal clinical benefits in the treatment of diseases... moreso it's all the other nasty **** they put in there in combination with the smoke... nicotine in moderation is no more dangerous than alcohol in moderation

want2lose

Awards
nicotine's not what's dangerious, it actually has potentinal clinical benefits in the treatment of diseases... moreso it's all the other nasty **** they put in there in combination with the smoke... nicotine in moderation is no more dangerous than alcohol in moderation
Well said

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
20 minutes after your last cigarette- your blood pressure and pulse rate return to what they were just before your last cigarette, and your hands and feet warm up to the temperature they were before smoking.

8 hours after your last cigarette- the carbon monoxide level in you blood falls, and the oxygen level increases, so that both become normal.

24 hours after your last cigarette- the chance of your having a heart attack is lessened

48 hours after your last cigarette- your nerve endings start regrowing, so your senses of both smell and taste improve. Walking becomes easier.

By 3 months after your last cigarette- your circulation has improved, and your lung function has increased by up to 30%.

By 9 months after your last cigarette- the cells lining your airways have fully recovered, so that they remove mucus better, you cough less, have less sinus congestion, and your shortness of breath has gone.

1 year after your last cigarette- your risk of coronary heart disease is now half that of a smoker's.

5 years after your last cigarette- your risk of having a stroke is now greatly reduced, approaching that of someone who has never smoked.

10 years after your last cigarette- your risk of dying from lung cancer is about half that of someone still smoking. Your chances of getting cancer of the mouth, throat, gullet, pancreas, kidney, and bladder are greatly reduced, compared with a smoker's.

15 years after your last cigarette- your risk of having coronary heart disease is no greater then that of someone who has never smoked.

day 2, im feeling great!!!!

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Never smoked a cig before, never will. Seen people die from them and dont see a point of doing them.

Macabre

Macabre

Awards
congrats man... on my am profile a week or so ago i changed it to non-smoker..

its some nasty **** and man the hardest habit to drop...and it so goes against what we are trying to do
True, very true. I quit in 2006 after I started working out so I could breath better and have more energy.

gidemon

Banned
Awards
20 minutes after your last cigarette- your blood pressure and pulse rate return to what they were just before your last cigarette, and your hands and feet warm up to the temperature they were before smoking.

8 hours after your last cigarette- the carbon monoxide level in you blood falls, and the oxygen level increases, so that both become normal.

24 hours after your last cigarette- the chance of your having a heart attack is lessened

48 hours after your last cigarette- your nerve endings start regrowing, so your senses of both smell and taste improve. Walking becomes easier.

By 3 months after your last cigarette- your circulation has improved, and your lung function has increased by up to 30%.

By 9 months after your last cigarette- the cells lining your airways have fully recovered, so that they remove mucus better, you cough less, have less sinus congestion, and your shortness of breath has gone.

1 year after your last cigarette- your risk of coronary heart disease is now half that of a smoker's.

5 years after your last cigarette- your risk of having a stroke is now greatly reduced, approaching that of someone who has never smoked.

10 years after your last cigarette- your risk of dying from lung cancer is about half that of someone still smoking. Your chances of getting cancer of the mouth, throat, gullet, pancreas, kidney, and bladder are greatly reduced, compared with a smoker's.

15 years after your last cigarette- your risk of having coronary heart disease is no greater then that of someone who has never smoked.

day 2, im feeling great!!!!
nice information there...the more knowledge you have the better the chances are torwards quitting and never smoking again.its crazy how the cigg came about ,legal and such a wide spread killer.if everyone quit smoking it would probly damage the medical industry ,insurance companys,morgs,gasstations...the list is endless.

PumpDogg

Awards
  • Established
What about those who smoke 1 or 2 bowls of marijuana a day. 2-4 draws Max daily. Much less smoke inhaled than most any smoker. Do u think it had same ill affects. I'm just curious as I smoked weed for many years before quitting.

gidemon

Banned
Awards
I dont think its even in the same catagory of badness as ciggs... a vaporizer can be used btw(besides the chems in the ciggs the tissue scaring alone from the hot smoke causes mutated cells,cancer..tumors and so on

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
3 weeks no cigs going strong!!!

i think you are ok with herb. i mean smoking anything isnt good and its best to vaporize, but herb doesnt have the 599 household chemicals like cigs do. much less harsh.

snuggy

Awards
Though it may sound silly and negative, it works well. Fear of losing valuable things in life will give immense strength to face and overcome the problems. Think about the side effects of the cigarettes and have fear of losing your health, family, happiness and life. When you start fearing about all the loss you will face due to smoking, you tend to hate smoking and gradually avert from that. Even if you are offered to smoke, you tend to withdraw from that place. Keep trying, ultimately you’ll end up quit smoking and lead a better life.
Try nicotine flavored chewing gums to quit smoking. It is proving to be a successful alternative for cigarettes. It is a boon for all those who wants to quit smoking.

otkpro

Awards
I'll second the post about e-cigs. I've smoked pretty much my whole life, and it is horrible. You start because you're a young idiot and then it gets a-hold of you. Then you continue to smoke without ever realizing why. E-cigarettes are a far cleaner and a far safer delivery method.

I am new, so I don't know if I can post youtube videos.. but this video is very interesting. So many smokers go through their whole life never even realizing WHY they smoke.. it's on youtube just search for vjyjKzPu2fc and go to the 3:00 mark.

If you don't get away from the addiction - the e-cig will still change your life, for you. I didn't have to go through ANY withdrawl and I have more energy and a more steady nicotine level.

If you have any questions about e-cigarettes, please feel free to PM me. Don't buy pricey ones, a-lot of people buy the generic mini ones and pay as much as $200 and they don't work too well. You know, stay away from overly hyped ones like the blu and junk like that. Look for Joye and other quality brands.

There's a great forum about e-cigs called e cigarette forum. (I can't link to anything)

E-cigs also cost far far less than smoking. A quality e-cig starter kit can be had for as low as thirty bucks and a month supply of juice can run as low as ten bucks if you mix your own or maybe thirty bucks if you buy it premixed.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
cigarettes are legal crack.

The most disgusting leach you will encounter if you bring it into your life.

especially for the health conscious. it made me paranoid ALL THE TIME. constantly having to worry about mouth , throat, lung cancer. flat muscles, no oxygen. it makes it VERY hard to gain muscle. lower libido, etc. all of that is on the side of the high cost, terrible smell, and yellowed teeth and finger nails. not to mention the hurt lipid profile.

there really isnt any other explanation for why it is legal, other than population control.

thankyou Jesus for breaking me from this habit.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
keep it up man....do you feel any better?
yeah man much better. much more energy. im not coughing anything up really but i wasnt the heaviest of smokers. my clothes and car doesnt smell anymore, its great!

otkpro

Awards
cigarettes are legal crack.

The most disgusting leach you will encounter if you bring it into your life.

especially for the health conscious. it made me paranoid ALL THE TIME. constantly having to worry about mouth , throat, lung cancer. flat muscles, no oxygen. it makes it VERY hard to gain muscle. lower libido, etc. all of that is on the side of the high cost, terrible smell, and yellowed teeth and finger nails. not to mention the hurt lipid profile.

there really isnt any other explanation for why it is legal, other than population control.

thankyou Jesus for breaking me from this habit.

I could not agree, more! I do NOT miss my newports. At all.

The reason it's legal is that it is a VERY reliable source of revenue for our government. That's why they're allowed to have 100s and 100s the acceptable safe limit of tens of chemicals .... yet the good old FDA starts misinformation and lies and electric cigarettes, and illegally seizes shipments of them, even though they use only three or four harmless chemicals (which are all in cigarettes, in higher concentrations, anyway)

Population control has always been on my mind, too, if no ones smoked and half of a million people all of a sudden forgot to die on a yearly basis.. what on earth would we do, then?

Phillip Morris even had the balls to say "hey, we're not causing more medical expenses, because our users die more often" or something like that

No it is a horribly addictive disgusting body and life destroying government profit machine ... Just get away from smoking any way you possibly can!

ephedroman

Awards
After reading this post I stopped smoking the blacks today after almost a year of smoking about 4 or 5 a day. If anyone knows how big they are..inhaling 4 or 5 in a day is probably brutal on the lungs.

Lets hope I can kick this habit for good.

otkpro

Awards
Ah! Those are not good.. You inhaled the smoke? Congratulations on quitting!! I use to love blackstone milds (like b&m but smoother, sweeter) but they were also hell on the lungs.

I got some of those "tar bar" things and when I realized my newports and my cigarillos created more tar than anything else, that's when it hit me. I was painting my lungs with this stuff!!

The more of that there is, the faster you kill all of your cilia. The lungs can't clear themselves once those are dead. That's why some smokers cough and cough and cough in futility. I guess the smoke also kills nerves some way or another. That's why smoking is painful for a-lot of people, but only at first.

It's just too bad that the lungs don't have a sense of smell, or taste. The tar smells like 1000 ashtrays and "tastes like stinging". They go to great trouble trying to mask the harshness of it

Here's another good video rCvEDg_ffjU on youtube
It shows how they make the "tobacco" they put into commercially sold "tobacco" products. Basically they leech everything out of it, load that with chemicals that make nicotine more available to the body and other ones that make it taste better and spray that onto a paper they then chop up ...

It's just crazy what goes into getting people to smoke and how much we DON'T KNOW about our addictions at times.

Sorry for being long winded, but smoking I've seen it kill people I cared for and it's helped destroy my own health... And, me, I never understood the addiction until about a year ago, so I know, others probably don't either.

ephedroman

Awards
Well i'm on day 2 right now and i'm not gonna lie...I don't know if its the "placebo" affect of thinking something will happen right away when I get off of them or not but i'm feeling less cloudy on the inside.

When I woke up I didn't have this heavy feeling I normally do so maybe its working, time will tell.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
keep it up bro! im going month strong over here feeling great@!

gidemon

Banned
Awards
Well i'm on day 2 right now and i'm not gonna lie...I don't know if its the "placebo" affect of thinking something will happen right away when I get off of them or not but i'm feeling less cloudy on the inside.

When I woke up I didn't have this heavy feeling I normally do so maybe its working, time will tell.
its no placebo effect..your body is actually feeling better.. stick with it and trust me there are alot of us that smoke,have smoked or are in the process of quitting the habit...it slows gains,recovery and the price of a pack you could be buying a gallon of milk a day..or 140 dollars worth of supplements a month..thats a pack a day.but if you need support or anything pm me and dont give up the battle..ciggs were ment to control population and make a ****load of money for the medical industry..its a big sham!

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
5th week here!!! temptations are still there but I just think about how $hitty they made me feel and how nasty cigs smell so the desire goes away.

gidemon

Banned
Awards
3 years and counting smoke free

thats great to hear man..ciggs are just a way to control population,make ****loads of revenue for the med industry and control people.very very nasty **** to be tied to.

gidemon

Banned
Awards
I tried only smoking black and milds only back in the day...lmfao..i got up to about 6-7 of those a day and that idea didnt really workout for me.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I tried only smoking black and milds only back in the day...lmfao..i got up to about 6-7 of those a day and that idea didnt really workout for me.
those things are even worse! by the way, still havent even had a drag since the beginning of this thread!! go me :arms:

xigotmailx

xigotmailx

Awards
  • Established
I smoke the ecig and still feel like I may be having a tougher time breathing than when I smoked cigarettes. I don't know what's going on, but walking up to the 3rd story where I live gets me out of breath and increases my heart rate a lot. I don't know if i'm out of shape with no cardio or what, it sucks. I really want to quit, I just need to do it

demolition

demolition

Awards
i quit chewing in December, had a few smokes to help and next thing i know im smoking like a feen. quit it all a week ago, girl friend is on the patch, day 16. id kill for a chew but my gums haved paid the price (15 years) so i figure its time but sure do miss it.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
i took a drag of a cig last weekend for the first time in a few months, man that sh!t is disgusting!! definitely no desire to pick that up again

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I smoke the ecig and still feel like I may be having a tougher time breathing than when I smoked cigarettes. I don't know what's going on, but walking up to the 3rd story where I live gets me out of breath and increases my heart rate a lot. I don't know if i'm out of shape with no cardio or what, it sucks. I really want to quit, I just need to do it
yea any cig is gonna mess with your lungs. get rid of all that crap bro you will feel a million times better

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
i quit chewing in December, had a few smokes to help and next thing i know im smoking like a feen. quit it all a week ago, girl friend is on the patch, day 16. id kill for a chew but my gums haved paid the price (15 years) so i figure its time but sure do miss it.
have you ever had a dentist tell you that you have leukoplakia?

they are pre cancerous white patches in your mouth.

i dipped for less than a year and i went to the dentist and she told me i had some.

i stopped dipping that weekend lol. but i still smoked cigs after that. ever since ive been paranoid as **** of mouth/throat cancer!

Galvin

Awards
Hey dude your post about the smoking is much nice one and helpful also.... I like that one and appreciated your attempt to let everyone know about the dangerous effect's of the smoking.... Smoking leaves very very bad effect's on the health but unfortunately by knowing all the worse aspects of the smoking majority of the smoker's didn't stopped smoking and make a bad deal with their life and health also............

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
the worst part about cigs is that they dont even feel good once you are addicted. you feel sh!tty all day if you dont have a cig and once you smoke one you just feel normal. you are not even getting high at that point, just avoiding feeling like crap. so you end up paying $8 a pack to not feel like crap. i cant believe i smoked the stupid things for so long..

Steakumm

Steakumm

Awards
eciggs SUCK it only made me smoke MORE. I quite for 6yrs and went back about 5 yrs ago I have to quite again I'm gonna try the patch in a week. I gotta quite before my next cycle that Im planing end of the month

Antabolix

Awards
E sigs aren't good for you either, and no nicotine isn't just like any other stimulant lol. The nicotine constricts your arteries, making blood harder to flow and more likely to clot. I forget exactly how it works, but I remember hearing that just a few cigs a week is all thats needed to keep this process going. Thank God I never started smoking! I truly feel sorry for people who are addicted to them. I've watched many friends fail over and over and over trying to quit.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
this is great stuff! lets keep this thread going!