Diet help!? feeling lost

greekgeorge

Awards
  • Established
Ok so you hear the usual diet recommendations from people as in take in 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight for bulking, cutting, re comping. X amount of grams of carbs per pound of body weight etc.

My issue is that if your dividing your calories into ratios these never line up to the recommended amounts. for example I was cutting recently and Im a endomorph I used a 45/30/25 on at 2650 so thats 298p 198 c 74grams fats, To me protien levels seemed excessive beyond the recomended 1 pound per body weight seeing I'm at 188 pounds. Carbs are high, I always hear people recomend .5 grams per pound of body weight etc.

So feeling lost this is how I structure diet, I do 5 meals generally with 2-3 snack size items usually shakes
Protein carb
protein fat
pre wrokout protein carb
during shake with waximaze
post 1 apple whey/chicken
protein fat/ vegi carb
casein shake before bed

I have pct upcoming and I was wondering what you guys think of 50/20/30 at around 3000 cals?

Please help, I was in great shape before eating just broiled fish, whey, oatmeal and never counting anything, I tried all these percentages and my results have been sucking

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Congrats for asking this question.

As you can see when you take all the 'bro science' recommendations and put them all together, you find that they are sometimes at odds with each other.

The human body can be pretty resourceful and flexible. The main thing to focus on is calories for your goal. After that you can narrow down a macro ratio. Personally I like 30-40% protein, 40-50% carbs, and at least 20% fats. This gives you some flexibility to fit in the meal combos that YOU like.

This is independent of calories so yes you will be eating less protein when cutting than when bulking. This should be obvious because when cutting you are looking to preserve what you have not to build more but you would be surprised how often people say you Have to have at lest 1.5g/lb (or whatever).

Also dont worry about separating your carbs and fats. If you are designing your meals around a calorie target, the concept becomes redundant.

In short, don't over-complicate it.

greekgeorge

Awards
  • Established
sweet thanks for the info
Congrats for asking this question.

As you can see when you take all the 'bro science' recommendations and put them all together, you find that they are sometimes at odds with each other.

The human body can be pretty resourceful and flexible. The main thing to focus on is calories for your goal. After that you can narrow down a macro ratio. Personally I like 30-40% protein, 40-50% carbs, and at least 20% fats. This gives you some flexibility to fit in the meal combos that YOU like.

This is independent of calories so yes you will be eating less protein when cutting than when bulking. This should be obvious because when cutting you are looking to preserve what you have not to build more but you would be surprised how often people say you Have to have at lest 1.5g/lb (or whatever).

Also dont worry about separating your carbs and fats. If you are designing your meals around a calorie target, the concept becomes redundant.

In short, don't over-complicate it.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
For what its worth, 188*1.5=282. So that first protein number of 298 isn't too far off from 1.5 times bodyweight for protein.