Salted peanuts, do you eat them?

AtomicFox

AtomicFox

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys!

How good or bad is these salted peanuts for you? And do you use them?

Please this is not a thread where we are going to compare peanuts will almonds or other alternatives.

So if you were to give a 1-10 grade how would you rate them in terms of how healthy they are.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey guys!

Please this is not a thread where we are going to compare peanuts will almonds or other alternatives.

So if you were to give a 1-10 grade how would you rate them in terms of how healthy they are.
I used to eat peanuts all the time - mostly salted - when I was cycling.

As far as whether or not they are good for you is dependent on the individual. Obviously they are "bad" for anyone who has an allergy or is sensitive to peanuts. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with them.

~Rosie~

SynergyIre

Awards
  • Established
Love them, keep them as a convenient snack for energy or if I have a craving for something unhealthy.

To be honest I don't think I could stomach enough salted peanuts in one go to make a huge impact on my salt levels, once you buy a healthy brand that isn't too crazy on the salt you should be good :)

Xerxes

Awards
  • Established
I also eat them. If you work, got to school, whatever, its a b**ch to fit in all of of your meals, so I'm all about the nuts.....no homo haha..

But seriously if your worried about your sodium intake, perhaps eat some foods high in potassium, like banana's etc.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
....or get the non-salted variety. You get used to them REALLY quick. Worthy of noting, peanuts already have high levels of potassium so it balances the sodium content out naturally (to SOME degree).

PS: Peanuts are probably the least nutritious of all the nuts. Cashews are probably a close second.

Almonds, Walnuts are insanely healthier being dense with vits/min's AND superior healthy fatty acid profiles (the fats that assist in burning body fat and cleaning out/protecting your cardiovascular system).

PSS: Regular peanuts are susceptible to molds and fungus which can lead to aflatoxin, a poison produced by a fungus. No clue how prevalent or common this is.

drudixon

Awards
I used to eat peanuts all the time - mostly salted - when I was cycling.

As far as whether or not they are good for you is dependent on the individual. Obviously they are "bad" for anyone who has an allergy or is sensitive to peanuts. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with them.

~Rosie~
Salt's salt man. Try to keep it low when you can. As for the nut, I like em. I like cashews better. Cashews are supposed to have more fatty acids, but, they cost 5x as much. I hate almonds, so I don't eat those.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dr U
Are you a Dr? Just curious (your name)

Xerxes

Awards
  • Established
....or get the non-salted variety. You get used to them REALLY quick. Worthy of noting, peanuts already have high levels of potassium so it balances the sodium content out naturally (to SOME degree).

PS: Peanuts are probably the least nutritious of all the nuts. Cashews are probably a close second.

Almonds, Walnuts are insanely healthier being dense with vits/min's AND superior healthy fatty acid profiles (the fats that assist in burning body fat and cleaning out/protecting your cardiovascular system).

PSS: Regular peanuts are susceptible to molds and fungus which can lead to aflatoxin, a poison produced by a fungus. No clue how prevalent or common this is.
Peanuts aren't actually nuts, in the strictest sense they are legumes.

Don't know if I actually agree with your ranking of nuts. I would rank nuts like this:

1. Almonds
2. Hazelnuts
3. Peanuts
4. Chestnuts
5. Pistachios
6. Walnuts
7. Cashews
8. Pecans
9. Macadamias

This ranking is based on protein, fiber, B-vitamins, calcium, minerals, and vitamin E for the least amount of saturated fat.

Salted peanuts are usually roasted in oil when they are prepared and cooked thus there fatty acid profile is altered, negatively.

The potassium levels in peanuts, when they are natural, unsalted, etc. can somewhat compensate for the high level of sodium within. However this is negated when additional salt is added to peanuts (i.e. salted peanuts).

Unsalted peanuts, as you said would be the way to go.

SynergyIre

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys!

Guys.. please read the OPs question :) stick on topic :p

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This ranking is based on protein, fiber, B-vitamins, calcium, minerals, and vitamin E for the least amount of saturated fat.
Ahhh therein lies the difference. I included the HEALTHY FATS ratios (high in monounsaturated) when assessing "best nuts".

PS: Saturated fats from nuts are very low. That said, there is a significant difference in how the body(liver) metabolizes saturated fats from medium chain (nuts/coconut) and long chain fatty acids (meat).

The potassium levels in peanuts, when they are natural, unsalted, etc. can somewhat compensate for the high level of sodium within. However this is negated when additional salt is added to peanuts (i.e. salted peanuts).

Unsalted peanuts, as you said would be the way to go.
Agreed. I already stated this: ""Worthy of noting, peanuts already have high levels of potassium so it balances the sodium content out naturally (to SOME degree).""" :D

AtomicFox

AtomicFox

Awards
  • Established
Thanks everyone, I appreciate your responses =)

freefall365

freefall365

Awards
  • Established
you're gonna love my nuts! (slap chop infomercial)

some good info in this thread. thanks guys.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
yes I eat them just about every day.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Wait, so Pecans aren't really all that great?

When comparing them with other nuts (Peanuts, Almonds) they seemed to have the most fats. Why would they not be ranked as high?

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey guys!

Peanuts has healthy fats that`s you body use for energy source (on low carb diet) and the salt (i prefer sea salt) keeps your thyroids happy (they need the sodium (salt) for proper working functions) ;)

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Easy and convenient. The soduim content can be high, but most of us drink a gallon plus of water a day. Water always follows sodium on the body. So if you are peeing your are getting rid of sodium.

Xerxes

Awards
  • Established
Wait, so Pecans aren't really all that great?

When comparing them with other nuts (Peanuts, Almonds) they seemed to have the most fats. Why would they not be ranked as high?
The ranking I listed didn't take into account unsaturated fats. Pecans along with walnuts and pistachios have some of the best unsaturated fat profiles that most health professionals believe possess an excellent lipid lowering capability. Although another study stated that Pecans can actually lower HDL (good) cholesterol levels.

Sources:

Eastman WA, Clayschulte BJ. Pecan effects on serum lipoproteins and dietary intakes of hyperlipidemic individuals consuming self-selected diets. Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal. 33(3):197-207.

ajaram S, Burke K, Connell B, Myint T, Sabate J. A monounsaturated fatty acid-rich pecan-enriched diet favorabley alters the serum lipid profile of healthy men and women. J Nutr . 131(9):2275-2279.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
I keep a bag of trail mix around with some salted peanuts in them, I don't usually eat the trail mix its kind of a snack once a week not. I try to not snack a lot unless i know im going to be late on a meal or didnt get a real quality meal before it.

bakerderek0

bakerderek0

Awards
  • Established
I usually get unsalted store brand peanuts. Peanuts are a great diet tool.