middle of the night hunger

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
lately I've been waking up a few hours before my alarm with some wicked hunger. It's not like the i'm hungry but it's ok hunger. It's like that sick to your stomach queazy/nauseous hunger feeling.

Does that sound like an indicator that I need more cals throughout the day, or more specifically more cals right before I go to bed. My pre bed meal is basically the exact same calories/macronutrient breakdown as all my other meals throughout the day. But obviously every other time during the day there is another meal in 3 hours anyways. Where as opposed to pre bed there isn't another one for about 8 hours (god willing)

Thoughts?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
lately I've been waking up a few hours before my alarm with some wicked hunger. It's not like the i'm hungry but it's ok hunger. It's like that sick to your stomach queazy/nauseous hunger feeling.

Does that sound like an indicator that I need more cals throughout the day, or more specifically more cals right before I go to bed. My pre bed meal is basically the exact same calories/macronutrient breakdown as all my other meals throughout the day. But obviously every other time during the day there is another meal in 3 hours anyways. Where as opposed to pre bed there isn't another one for about 8 hours (god willing)

Thoughts?
It could be that you're not having enough calories during the day - more specifically carbohydrates, since queasy nausea is a symptom of hypoglycemia.

You could always have something light like a protein shake or cottage cheese, etc. when you wake up - some people set alarms to eat during the night so that they have that constant 3-4 hour meal period.

~Rosie~

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established

Thoughts?
I would say it is a sign for you to increase your pre-bed intake. I usually have a half cup of cottage cheese, with a low fat yogurt all mixed together. I follow that by 2 glasses of whole milk. I used to enjoy a slow digesting protein drink, which was casein, soy, and egg protein before bed. Now that I am on a powder free diet I don't anymore.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
thanks capone. I did just that the other night and it didn't happen. so yay for me :)

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
thanks capone. I did just that the other night and it didn't happen. so yay for me :)
I'm def not a fan of waking up at night and eating. Id rather eat more before bed and try for all the sleep I can get. I give props to the people who can eat every 3 hours though.

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
I always keep Boost or Ensure (the high protein versions) on hand just for this. If you DO wake up, you may as well get some nutrition. I don't sleep well at all anyway and regardless of how much I eat, I occasionally wake up hungry.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
I always keep Boost or Ensure (the high protein versions) on hand just for this. If you DO wake up, you may as well get some nutrition. I don't sleep well at all anyway and regardless of how much I eat, I occasionally wake up hungry.
Sounds like you need to work on your sleep. If you hardly ever get good sleep you can be compromising your gains. There are supplements that help with sleep that are non-habit forming.

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like you need to work on your sleep. If you hardly ever get good sleep you can be compromising your gains. There are supplements that help with sleep that are non-habit forming.
YEARS of police work etc hosed my sleep patterns. I get 6-8hrs a night but here lately it's been from 4am to noon. At this point I am not interested in supplements to sleep again. I have tried several prescription supplements and they have been unpredictable for me.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
What about being warm/hot when you eat and then go to bed, but then waking up a few hours early because you suddenly got real cold and need to throw a blanket on?

Like your metabolism stopped at some point in the night. Anyone experienced that?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What about being warm/hot when you eat and then go to bed, but then waking up a few hours early because you suddenly got real cold and need to throw a blanket on?

Like your metabolism stopped at some point in the night. Anyone experienced that?
Warming is normal when you eat, especially if you eat real food (not just a shake), because of the thermogenic effect of food.

I experience that often. It does not mean that your metabolism has stopped though - there are myriad reasons why one can get cold during the night.

~Rosie~

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Warming is normal when you eat, especially if you eat real food (not just a shake), because of the thermogenic effect of food.

I experience that often. It does not mean that your metabolism has stopped though - there are myriad reasons why one can get cold during the night.

~Rosie~

thanks rosie. It didn't used to happen to me when I had a higher BF. Anyways, just to expand a bit on the bolded part if you seem to be cold throughout the day, and warm up for an hour or so after a meal, but then soon get cold again before the next one, and just basically spend most of the day being cold, that has to be a sign you aren't eating enough correct?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
thanks rosie. It didn't used to happen to me when I had a higher BF. Anyways, just to expand a bit on the bolded part if you seem to be cold throughout the day, and warm up for an hour or so after a meal, but then soon get cold again before the next one, and just basically spend most of the day being cold, that has to be a sign you aren't eating enough correct?
No worries :)

No, that's not an indication that you're not eating correctly. As I mentioned, there is far more to your body temperature than eating - for example, you could just have really bad circulation, etc.

~Rosie~

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
No worries :)

No, that's not an indication that you're not eating correctly. As I mentioned, there is far more to your body temperature than eating - for example, you could just have really bad circulation, etc.

~Rosie~

I don't think I have poor circulation. I never had the problem before, it just suddenly started to happen when I got my bf fairly low, and it gets better the more I eat, and worse the more physical activity I do during the day.

I used to be just absolutely roasting all the time, had to sleep with 2 fans on and walked around half naked all the time, haha. Lost like 20 lbs, and it just started happening one day and I haven't been able to drop a single bf percentage since it started happening, and it only gets better the more cals I eat.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't think I have poor circulation. I never had the problem before, it just suddenly started to happen when I got my bf fairly low, and it gets better the more I eat, and worse the more physical activity I do during the day.

I used to be just absolutely roasting all the time, had to sleep with 2 fans on and walked around half naked all the time, haha. Lost like 20 lbs, and it just started happening one day and I haven't been able to drop a single bf percentage since it started happening, and it only gets better the more cals I eat.
You DO realize that the leaner you are, the more likely you are to notice the cold, since you are stripping your body of its insulation.

Whilst asking questions is encouraged, seriously, sometimes I think you need to do some personal research for what you want to know, instead of just asking for EVERything.

~Rosie~

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
lol, I do. But you can get a million different answers to the same question. I'm not a newbie, you can see by my join date I've been around a while. I find you get an answer that is more relevant to your lifestyle when you ask it on a bodybuilding forum as opposed to just typing it in google because we live a bit different lifestyle than most normal people do, and the peoples experiences on the forums usually more closely mirror what you are experiencing/want to know.

I'm aware that fat is an insulator and the less you have the colder you are going to be. But I also don't think it's normal to experience being really cold all the time when you are a 195lb male with 11-12 percent bodyfat.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
lol, I do. But you can get a million different answers to the same question. I'm not a newbie, you can see by my join date I've been around a while. I find you get an answer that is more relevant to your lifestyle when you ask it on a bodybuilding forum as opposed to just typing it in google because we live a bit different lifestyle than most normal people do, and the peoples experiences on the forums usually more closely mirror what you are experiencing/want to know.

I'm aware that fat is an insulator and the less you have the colder you are going to be. But I also don't think it's normal to experience being really cold all the time when you are a 195lb male with 11-12 percent bodyfat.
Use reliable and reputable sources, as opposed to just Google, LOL.

As far as your issue, yes 11-12% bodyfat, whilst below average for a male, is not that low really - perhaps get yourself checked out by a medical professional.

~Rosie~

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
From all the research I have done over the past few days, I believe it is hypothyroidism brought on by adrenal fatigue/overtraining.

I'm going to take a week off of both cardio and weight training. I've never taken a week off in my life....ever. And haven't taken a DAY off in about 5 or 6 years. So I'm gonna be bored out of my mind. I just hope a week is enough, and that it doesn't come right back as soon as I start back up again :(

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
From all the research I have done over the past few days, I believe it is hypothyroidism brought on by adrenal fatigue/overtraining.

I'm going to take a week off of both cardio and weight training. I've never taken a week off in my life....ever. And haven't taken a DAY off in about 5 or 6 years. So I'm gonna be bored out of my mind. I just hope a week is enough, and that it doesn't come right back as soon as I start back up again :(
A week should be fine and is healthy from time to time.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

There's one of your issues - RECOVERY IS ESSENTIAL TO PROGRESS! I know how you feel about not wanting to take days off, but trust me, I've been there, done that, and learnt my lesson - you don't necessarily have to have a week off ALL training, but a week off RESISTANCE training every 8-16 weeks will do your body some good, and I do that, as well as now scheduling in a day OFF ALL training once a week. You want to be careful not to get to the point I did - once you go there, it's easy to go back and maintaining becomes a fine line between "ok" and "too much".

Trust me when I say that a week off will do you good, and it will not be detrimental in any way - you should be able to return to training harder and better than ever.

RECOVERY!

~Rosie~