PWO meal for fasted morning cardio?

  1. Registered User
    MakaveliThaDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2,781
    Answers
    0

    PWO meal for fasted morning cardio?


    So what do you guys/gals do for a PWO meal after a low intensity morning cardio session on an empty stomach?

    Do you treat it just like a regular PWO meal with 50g of carbs?

  2. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  121 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,174
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by MakaveliThaDon View Post
    So what do you guys/gals do for a PWO meal after a low intensity morning cardio session on an empty stomach?

    Do you treat it just like a regular PWO meal with 50g of carbs?
    Everyone is different as to what they use post-training. But yes, just treat it like any training session and have what you would normally have after a training session. Since that particular session is first thing on an empty stomach, your post-training meal is technically your "breakfast", the first meal of the day, and will be one of your most important meals of the day (the other being after your resistance training - if you do it that day), then you need to make it a good one.

    ~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  3. Registered User
    MakaveliThaDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2,781
    Answers
    0


    Bump on this for another question.

    Trying to change things around a bit and find something that works for my body. What if I were to do a morning cardio session on an empty stomach, then have a PWO meal, and then head off to the gym to do actual weight training and then have ANOTHER PWO meal, is that too early after cardio to jump immediately into weight training? Does that just flat out not make any sense to do that, or is it worth a shot?
    •   
       

  4. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  121 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,174
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by MakaveliThaDon View Post
    Bump on this for another question.

    Trying to change things around a bit and find something that works for my body. What if I were to do a morning cardio session on an empty stomach, then have a PWO meal, and then head off to the gym to do actual weight training and then have ANOTHER PWO meal, is that too early after cardio to jump immediately into weight training? Does that just flat out not make any sense to do that, or is it worth a shot?
    No, that's not too soon after cardio to do resistance training - in fact, before I came to the US, I would do my cardio at between 4.30-5am, and then go to the gym at 6am, having a shake post-cardio, and my breakfast post-weights. Just depends how "heavy" of a meal you are going to have post-cardio - some people (like myself) do not like to train with food in my stomach (even though when I was cycling I would shovel down a several thousand calorie meal and then go training ~10 minutes after finishing it). You just have to find what works for YOU and your body re your goals and needs.

    ~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  5. Registered User
    MakaveliThaDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2,781
    Answers
    0


    Thanks rosie. I'm gonna give it a shot Since the post cardio meal is actually going to double as a uhh...pre workout meal, I'm debating whether I should use something like rice or oatmeal for the carbs as opposed to straight dextrose. I'm thinking maybe something lower GI could give me slightly more energy for my weight traning than dextrose would. thoughts?
  6. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  121 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,174
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by MakaveliThaDon View Post
    Thanks rosie. I'm gonna give it a shot Since the post cardio meal is actually going to double as a uhh...pre workout meal, I'm debating whether I should use something like rice or oatmeal for the carbs as opposed to straight dextrose. I'm thinking maybe something lower GI could give me slightly more energy for my weight traning than dextrose would. thoughts?
    Use a combination of complex and simple carbohydrates. A lower GI is not necessarily going to give you "more energy" - it will take long to release. Why not just use a preworkout product that contains carbohydrates and mix it with protein powder and/or BCAAs. In the end, you can only experiment with different things to see what your body responds to best.

    ~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  7. Registered User
    MakaveliThaDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2,781
    Answers
    0


    yah, i'm bumping my own thread.

    Been doing this for the past week with good results. Playing around a bit every day with the meal itself. So far I have been doing 2 scoops whey obviously for the faster acting form of protein. But wondering if I might be better off with a blend in this meal like ON's pro complex, it has to last me another 3 hours until I can get to my PWO meal after weight training.

    Obviously there is only one way to find out, and I'm gonna try it for a few days and see, but just wondering how "in theory" this sounds to you guys?



    thoughts?
  8. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  121 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,174
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by MakaveliThaDon View Post
    yah, i'm bumping my own thread.

    Been doing this for the past week with good results. Playing around a bit every day with the meal itself. So far I have been doing 2 scoops whey obviously for the faster acting form of protein. But wondering if I might be better off with a blend in this meal like ON's pro complex, it has to last me another 3 hours until I can get to my PWO meal after weight training.

    Obviously there is only one way to find out, and I'm gonna try it for a few days and see, but just wondering how "in theory" this sounds to you guys?



    thoughts?
    Use a blend of fast and slow proteins (i.e. whey, casein, egg albumin, etc.). In the end, it's all about experimenting and finding what your body responds to best.

    ~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. How many calories do I need to make my morning run not fasted?
    By drvinnybombat in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-15-2011, 06:45 PM
  2. Pre-morning Cardio/WO meal ... Advice?
    By SprtNvolcoM in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-20-2009, 12:15 PM
  3. morning fasted cardio???
    By celltech21 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-25-2008, 11:28 AM
  4. PWO Nutrition for FASTED Morning Trainers
    By Jag in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-24-2008, 07:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in