High Protein Snack

getbig89

Awards
So I'm having trouble hitting my ideal daily protein intake of 400 grams a day. I'm hitting close to 300 a day, and its because of class/work. Is there any snacks that are somewhat high in protein that would be a good supplement to my diet?

--At the moment I only take one protein shake post workout, and casein before I go to bed. So, if need be, I can add a whey shake somewhere in the morning hours.

--Also I was thinking of snacking on peanut butter as well.

I appreciate the help.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
protein shakes ARE snacks aren't they?

umm..PB is good, make sure to factor in the fat into your macros for the day though. beef jerky is a good snack, though tons of sodium.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
So I'm having trouble hitting my ideal daily protein intake of 400 grams a day. I'm hitting close to 300 a day, and its because of class/work. Is there any snacks that are somewhat high in protein that would be a good supplement to my diet?

--At the moment I only take one protein shake post workout, and casein before I go to bed. So, if need be, I can add a whey shake somewhere in the morning hours.

I appreciate the help.
Personally, I think your getting enough protein at 300 grams a day. Actuially think that is a little high.

getbig89

Awards
Yeah I was aiming for 400 because I'm taking mass tabs at the moment, so I just wanted to maximize the gains

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Personally, I think your getting enough protein at 300 grams a day. Actuially think that is a little high.
I agree. I never consume the amounts that people say they need and I always gain muscle. I think the amount people recommend is a little overboard imo.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Well obviously it depends on what your fat and carb intake is like as well. For instance carbs are protein sparing.

getbig89

Awards
Here was my ideal diet.

Breakfast: 2 egg yolks, 6 egg whites
Cup of Oatmeal w/ Peanutbutter
Banana
740 Calories
78g carbs
22g fat
45 g protein

In between this I will take 3 tbs of olive oil
375 cals, 42 g fat

Meal #2 : Cup Brown Rice
Lean Beef
700 calories
45 g carbs
54g protein
32 g fat
PWO: Whey Protein
Dextrose Powder
40 g protein
80 carbs
300 calories

Meal #3: Chicken Breast
Cup of Rice
520 cals
45g carbs
62g protein
5 g fat

Dinner: Turkey
Green Beans
350 cals
50 g protein
10g carbs
7g fat

Meal #5: 2 cans chicken (I can’t stand tuna…) w/ light mayo
Edimame
90 g protein
800 cals
18 carbs
27g fat

Before Bed: Casein Protein Shake
25g protein
140 cals

60 cals added from fish oil throughout the day…
I will probably also add in milk with some dextrose for extra carbs..

TOTAL:
4000 calories
360g protein
135g fat
316 g carbs

I've modified it to take out some of the carbs. I usually don't take in more than 200. and the fat would be around 30% of my diet, but I can play with this amount by the amount of olive oil i consume

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Get some beef jerky to snack on. It's a little expensive, but very easy to eat anytime.

Dr.GregEllis

Awards
Beef jerky can be high in sodium, but you can actually make your own really simply by taking slices of beef and drying them out yourself. There's a cool video about it on a Food Network show called good Eats, he did it with box fans and air filters it was really cool and i'm sure in the long run much cheaper then buying pre packaged jerky. Plus making it yourself you can probably cut out some of the nasty stuff like preservatives. Also protein shakes are an awesome source of protein and can be eaten (drank, drunk i guess too) easily anywhere so definitely try that

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Beef jerky can be high in sodium, but you can actually make your own really simply by taking slices of beef and drying them out yourself. There's a cool video about it on a Food Network show called good Eats, he did it with box fans and air filters it was really cool and i'm sure in the long run much cheaper then buying pre packaged jerky. Plus making it yourself you can probably cut out some of the nasty stuff like preservatives. Also protein shakes are an awesome source of protein and can be eaten (drank, drunk i guess too) easily anywhere so definitely try that
Very high in sodium, however drinking a gallon plus of water a day will help take care of that.

getbig89

Awards
Very high in sodium, however drinking a gallon plus of water a day will help take care of that.
Yeah i get a gallon and a half a day. I'm thinking right now I'll add a protein shake and then add some peanut butter in between meals. If thats not enough Ill snack on some beef jerky.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Yeah i get a gallon and a half a day. I'm thinking right now I'll add a protein shake and then add some peanut butter in between meals. If thats not enough Ill snack on some beef jerky.
There are endless options. Shakes are easy, but I noticed I started packing on fat when I had too many.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Try AST VP2 Isolate. 5cal from fat and .5g total fat. 24g protein per serving. A little bit on the expensive side but its the best in my book. Havent found anything else that will beat it as far as fat loss and muscle growth. Try pb with some apple slices or a handful of nuts. Get plents of fluid as already stated.

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
Noone has said it, but here goes. I absolutley hate it.. but I do it. 1 cup cottage cheese has 24g of prot. You can get creative on adding things to it for taste, I use small cup of mandarin oranges(in water) I hear pineapple is good.

Anyhow at 1 cup its not a whole lot to eat, and 24g is a decent amount.. you could even do 1.5 if you can stomach it lol, and now your at 36.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Noone has said it, but here goes. I absolutley hate it.. but I do it. 1 cup cottage cheese has 24g of prot. You can get creative on adding things to it for taste, I use small cup of mandarin oranges(in water) I hear pineapple is good.

Anyhow at 1 cup its not a whole lot to eat, and 24g is a decent amount.. you could even do 1.5 if you can stomach it lol, and now your at 36.

that's a lot of lactose/sugar/carbs to have to factor somewhere into your macros though...

drudixon

Awards
Yeah I was aiming for 400 because I'm taking mass tabs at the moment, so I just wanted to maximize the gains
I agree with the other guys. I actually increase the carbs a bit so I can really put it into the weights.

ChrisSurf

Awards

I hate CC but when you get it with pineapple it's pretty tolerable lol. But I like regular CC mixed with some pb, cinammon and lil syrup sometimes.

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
1c fat free cc 160 cal, 24 prot, 16 carb, 0 fat. I will agree that peoples bodies react differently to carbs. I suppose it depends on your needs. I eat the living **** out of carbs, but I'm on a bulk atm lol.

But its def alot better than eating PB lol. Alot of oil/fat in that ****. Tasty though.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
1c fat free cc 160 cal, 24 prot, 16 carb, 0 fat. I will agree that peoples bodies react differently to carbs. I suppose it depends on your needs. I eat the living **** out of carbs, but I'm on a bulk atm lol.

But its def alot better than eating PB lol. Alot of oil/fat in that ****. Tasty though.
Yes, cuz we all know healthy fats are the devil

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
Look, I'm not sure why your attacking the cottage cheese. You are making it sound like a not so good food. First, carbs are not the devil either.. carbs = energy. Second, even though they are simple carbs, these types of simple carbs are actually recommended vs found in other foods.

Protein content.. really man? 24g in only 1 small cup of this stuff? That doesn't even require any backing up. How many people do you know.. that would NOT recommend adding cc into a diet?

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
oh, and healthy fat or not.. in 2 tbsp of pb your getting like what, 200 cal, 16 prot, 12 carbs, 34 fat? Depending on what kind you buy, if organic, natural, regular etc.. that fat/prot ratio is def not worth it imo. too much fat, healthy or not, for too little protein.

NADDANME

NADDANME

Awards
  • Established
I agree that PB and CC are good. I add a 1/2 cup of CC right before bed when i'm bulking. Something else to keep in mind is Tuna. It's a little more of a pain to just carry around and eat but it's a good cal. to protien ratio. I usally have one or two can's a week. If i have something thats higher carb kind of to offset it.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I appreciate the help.
I agree with rugger - 400 grams of protein, even if you were trying to bulk and were a huge guy, is excessive.

As far as "high protein snacks", there have been a lot of good suggestions here with the peanut butter, cottage cheese, and tuna.

Also consider MuscleGel Shots from Muscle Pharm - they don't take up much space at all (could slip them into a pocket), are fast and convenient to use, and have 22g of protein per packet.

~Rosie~

NADDANME

NADDANME

Awards
  • Established
oh, and healthy fat or not.. in 2 tbsp of pb your getting like what, 200 cal, 16 prot, 12 carbs, 34 fat? Depending on what kind you buy, if organic, natural, regular etc.. that fat/prot ratio is def not worth it imo. too much fat, healthy or not, for too little protein.
I usally have 2 tbsp of PB on 10 ritz cracker's as my morning carbs. But i also keep my total every day carbs to under 200. Of course this might be part of the reason i'm 210 lbs + lol

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
Hey, in regards to the over amount of protein, I read that when your body has excessively too much protein it will in turn start burning the protein off as energy before it utilizes the fat cells stored energy. Rosie do you have any input on this?

I also read a brologic post once that made sense lol, eat for what you want to be not what you are.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey, in regards to the over amount of protein, I read that when your body has excessively too much protein it will in turn start burning the protein off as energy before it utilizes the fat cells stored energy. Rosie do you have any input on this?

I also read a brologic post once that made sense lol, eat for what you want to be not what you are.
If you consume excessive amounts of anything in conjunction with an excessive consumption of calories, then you will start gaining bodyfat. If you are not feeding your body carbohydrates, then yes, your body will convert protein into glycogen to use for energy.

"Brologic" is right. You eat for what you are in the direction of what you want - you do not just eat for what you want, because, for example, a 180-pound male who wants to be 250 pounds eating for one at the size of 250 pounds is just going to get fat.

~Rosie~