weekly grocery bill?

tbarrows

tbarrows

Awards
  • Established
Just wondering how much you guys are spending on average to meet your nutritional needs at the grocery store?

I spend around $35-45 depending on what I'm needing at the moment. Most often my grocery's will consist of chicken breasts, oats, sweet potatoes, some kind of fish, spinach, broccoli, eggs and cheese. Am I spending about the same as you's?

Also, I'm a single 25 year old buying for myself only, no kids or wife or anything.

notanymore

Awards
  • Established
26 buying only for myself and usually average around $75 per week when bulking and somewhere around $45-50 a week when not bulking.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
It always costs me more to cut than it does to bulk. It costs more to eat healthy than it does to get fat :D

Those 2.99 bags of lettuce to make salads with when I cut KILL my bank account

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It always costs me more to cut than it does to bulk. It costs more to eat healthy than it does to get fat :D

Those 2.99 bags of lettuce to make salads with when I cut KILL my bank account
Have you tried bagged fresh spinach ? its about $1.98 a large bag.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Large bags of collard greens actually I prefer over the spinach. But yah, if I can't quite squeeze it some weeks I will do this, you can make quite a few salads out of those large bags.

tbarrows

tbarrows

Awards
  • Established
26 buying only for myself and usually average around $75 per week when bulking and somewhere around $45-50 a week when not bulking.

damn son, $75 a week on a bulk! I always wondered how much you guys that bulked spent on all that grub. Thats a lot!

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
I need to shop where you guys shop. I'm easily at $150 a week.

tbarrows

tbarrows

Awards
  • Established

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
It's all about sams club for me. Costco when I get in the area, but sams club is closer. When I roll up to the checkout with 10 bags of boneless skinless chicken breasts they always ask me what restaurant I work for, lol.

I remember one time on a bulk a few years ago I was eating cottage cheese before bed, and I absolutely HAAATE cottage cheese, to me it's disgusting. But it was working, so I choked it down every single night. Anyways, I bought about 4-5 tubs of it at the grocery store and went to check out and the lady was like "wow, you really like cottage cheese huh?" And I looked at her straight faced and said "no, i hate it" and she was like "umm...oh" and then I left, LOL.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Not that I'm on Jay's nuts or anything, but here is a video of him shopping. I'm about 120 a week. Ezekiel bread is expensive, but well worth it.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q-fUXwQJaA"]YouTube - Jay Cutler at the grocery store[/nomedia]

tbarrows

tbarrows

Awards
  • Established
I love those 'day in the life' videos of those bodybuilders... there was another one with an iForce sponsored guy I forget his name though - dude spent ridiculous $$$.

Yea ezekial breads not cheap but how many darn loafs are you guys eating?!? I got a buddy of mine into lifting FINALLY and took him to the grocery store to hook him up and he was being real stubborn about what to buy... ultimately his bill came to around $25 and he looked at me and said 'you spend this every weekend?!?!?!?' like it was the end of the world... then I told him 'no it's usually closer to 50'. I can't imagine his reaction if he went shopping with either of you guys ^^!!!

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
yea i spend all my money on food. i buy a pound and a half of flank steak pretty much every day, thats around $10-12 a day or probably $80 a week in just steak alone. about 8 dozen eggs, organic if i can find them. 2-3 packs of bacon. $12 for big pack of chicken for the week's lunches. i also eat at least a pound of butter a week. oh man just writing this thing sounds excessive...between groceries and buying fruit and hardboiled eggs at work everyday im definitely at 150 and more...no wonder im broke lol

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
$50 and I'm not even that big yet... Only 197 trying to get to 230!!

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Easily this - but definitely more, LOL! And when you add the $50+ I can easily spend a day on "other" food, it adds up :toofunny:

~Rosie~

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Thank goodness natty pb is pretty cheap. Or I would literally have to mortage the house.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
Easily this - but definitely more, LOL! And when you add the $50+ I can easily spend a day on "other" food, it adds up :toofunny:

~Rosie~
In theory..someone who weighs half of me should spend half as much lol

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
$5.49. The cinnamon raison toasted with some natty PB is a nice addition to breakfast.
I didn't even know there was a cinn raison ezekiel bread. I think we only have plain at my local grocer.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
Fosters is expensive i hear...

haha, j/k

SemiBulimic

SemiBulimic

Awards
  • Established
350- 400 a week. :aargh:
how the hell do you manage that? not sure if the uk is cheaper than the US for groceries but i spend around $480 a month here in britain and i know i could spend more if i had more cash to do so but it is still a lot of food to get through. I do buy a lot of 'value' stuff and wholesale foods though which probably brings down the bill.
To give you an idea i get 24 big chicken breasts for £17 ( about $26). How does that compare to the US? i know it varies state to state but it would be interesting to know

tbarrows

tbarrows

Awards
  • Established
daaaaaaaaamn with all you guys spending $100+ a week on food I feel like I'm severely under-eating!! What are the big expenses that you are ringing up? Is it just the meats?!

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
daaaaaaaaamn with all you guys spending $100+ a week on food I feel like I'm severely under-eating!! What are the big expenses that you are ringing up? Is it just the meats?!
yeah meat and eggs for me. steak errrrryday brother

tbarrows

tbarrows

Awards
  • Established
steak every day!!! That sounds delicious, maybe that's my problem... I look at steak once a week as as 'treat' for myself. For some reason I under the impression of steak several times a week was bad? Probably the same person that said eggs were bad for me... funk that noise!

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
steak every day!!! That sounds delicious, maybe that's my problem... I look at steak once a week as as 'treat' for myself. For some reason I under the impression of steak several times a week was bad? Probably the same person that said eggs were bad for me... funk that noise!
do u live at home? why arent u spending more money on food brah

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Steak has a lot of iron in it - having too much iron can be an issue (too much stored iron can become toxic), which is generally why it is recommended to have red meat ~3 times a week. However, if it's not causing you problems and you're not eating it in HUGE quantities, then you could be ok with it.

~Rosie~

tbarrows

tbarrows

Awards
  • Established
do u live at home? why arent u spending more money on food brah
haha nah, I dunno... I go and I buy chicken breasts, eggs, oats, some veggies, grape fruit usually, peanut butter. Some things last longer to use up than 1 week, things like going out to dinner with the gf happen so food is then shifted to another day and I've got some carry over come the next shopping day. But my bill compared to some of you guys is grossley skewed! I gotta get my eat on I guess

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
about $45-$50 per week for me not counting protein powder. I goto Box N Save. I have a pound steak once per week.

ChrisSurf

Awards
I agree, I don't know where people are shopping for a weeks worth of food for 35 bucks. I've even gone to costco and priced diff of what I pay at publix and it didn't really save much and I'd have to drive pretty far to get to a costco. Their frozen chicken was not much less than publix. My chili recipe in one of my threads didn't have a lot of ingredients and ended up about 35 bucks alone just for that batch.

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
It's honestly cheaper to live off of protein powder and oats.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I spend about $70 a week, and that's with supplementing 3 meals with protein shakes (plus 3 normal meals, bfast, lunch, and dinner). Gallon of milk about every 2-3 days, eggs are pretty expensive (3.29 for 18 omega 3 eggs at Sam's), which go FAST, etc. Salad items are usually what destroy the weekly bill. I dont eat out but maybe once or twice a week, though (always PWO pizza or Chipotle).

GMaccow

Awards
Easily $80 - 100. It's the salmon that really gets me everytime