Planning a General Checkup - Which Tests to Choose?

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm planning on setting up a visit to the doctor's office soon and would love some input on what tests you'd recommend having run / what levels to be checked.

I haven't had a general checkup probably since I was in high school for a baseball physical (~8 or more years ago). I realize this is dumb and even irresponsible on my part. For what it's worth, though, I'm not going in now because I've discovered something drastically wrong or anything like that. It's just that I've finally become more curious in knowing some things.

I've always put off going in for visits because I'm very healthy, active and ahve an awesome immune system (almost never get sick; seriously). I don't smoke, rarely consume alcohol (maybe 5 different occasions all of last year), and I eat healthy.

I've been with my current employer for a little over a year now and I have decent benefits. I need to check with my provider before going through with any of these tests to ensure that I don't end up having to pay out a ton of cash on them, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Here's the main reason for my wanting to have the tests done: I have had a ridiculous time trying to lose bodyfat over the years.
I've been lifting weights hard and regularly for over 10 years now (only breaks coming in the first 3 years for 3 months or so during baseball season). I used to play full court basketball for up to 3 hours a night, 5 times a week in college - and I'd be the guy on every fast break (despite being a bigger guy). Within the past year and a half or so, I've educated myself even further on the nutritional side of things and have a much better grasp on it.

So, here I am, already stalled out to an extent on the fat-loss around 226 lbs (at the moment), despite a 5 day split, 20 minutes of fasted cardio each morning and 2 extra cardio sessions in the evenings. I'm eating very restricted calories; often at 2400 or less/day. I know many will immediately say that's the cause, but I can actually gain weight at that intake on occasion. I also bumped cals to around 3,500 over the summer for a couple months and was adding weight at about 3 lbs/week (dumb, I know, but it reinforces the fact that my maintenance level for calories is ridiculously low for being 6'1", 25 years old, 220+ lbs and incredibly active).

What I plan on having tested are my metabolism and testosterone levels, as well as estrogen at the very least. After some research yesterday, it appears that there is testing that can check your RMR, which would be nice to know.

Have any of you actually had any similar tests done? I know people have blood tests very regularly to check vitals around cycles, so could you offer up advice on what to ask for / have done?

Any input you guys can give me on this would be incredibly helpful. I appreciate your time and apologize for the novelesque post; I just wanted as much information to be presented along with it as possible.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Anybody?

At this point I'm planning on having checked: testosterone / free testosterone, thyroid, estrogen

And also from a university: RMR and VO2 threshold

Anything else? If I'm in there and if insurance will cover it, I might as well get the blood drawn.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!