How bad is splenda?

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As far as I know, splenda is fine. But be warned that you want to use it in minimal dosages unless you feel like an intestinal cleansing for a while.

P

purelife1

Splenda is the newest product in a long line of sweeteners and substitutes promising the taste of sugar without the effects of sugar consumption. This can be construed as true in a literal sense. It is true that Splenda has none of the dangerous effects of sugar on the body – no calories, no insulin boost, no cravings. Unfortunately, while many hundreds of times sweeter than sugar, Splenda poses its own unique health risks and dangers, according to many experts. The fact that the FDA approves or doesn’t approve a particular product, really in no way assures it is safe. Powerful lobbies make their living pushing through products that have no business being in the marketplace, while blocking others that pose an economic threat to investment.

Splenda is different from other sweeteners in that it claims to be ‘made from sugar,’ and ‘natural,’ because Splenda is the trade name for sucralose. Sucralose is a synthetic compound, which — without going into too much scientific detail –is basically sugar modified by adding chlorine atoms. Sucralose, incidentally, was discovered in the 1970s by researchers looking to create a new pesticide. Chlorine is added to many products – drinking water, for example – and does not necessarily render the product dangerous. On the other hand, you are ingesting chlorine, which is not advised in large amounts.

The reason Splenda produces no calories, is that the majority passes through the body without being digested. Most studies show that only around 15% of Splenda is actually digested. The worrisome fact for some researchers is that people with healthier GI systems, will absorb more of the Splenda, and thus more of the dangerous chlorine.

The results of the tests done by Splenda’s manufacturers, McNeil Nutritionals, are also quite worrisome. Their studies revealed that test rodents suffered from dangerous side effects such as shrunken thymus glands, and enlarged livers and kidneys … and there were only short term studies. No long term studies were performed before Splenda was approved by the FDA. One could say that the long-term study is being conducted in households and supermarkets across America, with consumers as the test rodents.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
yeah I'm not fond on splenda but that powder is cheap and im on a budget

Macabre

Macabre

Awards
yeah I'm not fond on splenda but that powder is cheap and im on a budget
I believe a majority of Splenda passes right through your system. The body does absorb some of it, but it's minimal. That particular protein don't taste the best, but for the money I think it's just fine. I use it from time to time.

N

Nick3d

Awards
Splenda is in alot of diet sodas and they link something in it to cancer..but that's all hype

Macabre

Macabre

Awards
Splenda is in alot of diet sodas and they link something in it to cancer..but that's all hype
Most diet sodas contain aspartame. There are very few of them that contain Spleda.