bowel movements

M

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
So I guess I've always had slow bowel movemens ever since I was a kid. When I was younger it might only happen once a week.

But obviously being a kid I was pretty oblivious to fiber intake, water intake, etc..

But it's just been bugging me lately that those same problems never went away. I eat 25-30g of fiber a day. Pretty much 50/50 between powder and whole food. Drink prolly close to 2 gallons of water a day if not more. Train 1-2 hours in the gym EVERY day 7 days a week, and I still don't get one bowel movement a day. It's usually every 3 days. And when it happens, it literally is like I just gave birth to a baby lizard. Sorry to get so graphic but I mean it's absolutely ridiculous, I've thought about calling up guiness and inquiring about some stats to see if I could qualify.

Is this a sign I am cursed with a slower than normal metabolism for the rest of my life or what? Or doesn't bowel movements really have any correlation with your metabolism?

Macabre

Macabre

Awards
I'm definitely not an expert on the subject, but if a bowel movement does feel like giving birth maybe you should try a stool softener, or something similar to help. Of course, if it's then bad then I'd probably go see a doctor.

M

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
It doesn't hurt, it's just HUMONGOUS. It's like my stomach waits 3 days until it literally cannot fit anything more inside of it before it will finally produce a bowel movement. And then it proceeds to empty the entire digestive tract all at one time.

By the 3rd day I'm starting to feel pretty bloated until I finally have the bowel movement.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It doesn't hurt, it's just HUMONGOUS. It's like my stomach waits 3 days until it literally cannot fit anything more inside of it before it will finally produce a bowel movement. And then it proceeds to empty the entire digestive tract all at one time.

By the 3rd day I'm starting to feel pretty bloated until I finally have the bowel movement.
An hour after my coffee in the morning like clockwork. I notice when i miss my morning coffee this dosen't happen, are you a coffee drinker?? If not give it a try.

M

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
coffee eh? Maybe it's the caffeine in it? I don't drink coffee. In fact I'm on week 5 of an 8 week "stim" detox, lol. But this has been the way my body works for years, nothing to do with anything I'm taking.

edit: if you don't have your coffee, do you drink something in place of it? It could most likely just be the extra amount of water that drinking coffee gives you that allows the fiber in your body to produce a bowel movement. So obviously if you don't drink it, your body can't produce one.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
coffee eh? Maybe it's the caffeine in it? I don't drink coffee. In fact I'm on week 5 of an 8 week "stim" detox, lol. But this has been the way my body works for years, nothing to do with anything I'm taking.
It'S Worth a shot i've heard from alot of other coffee drinkers as well it makes you poop on the regular.:moon:

Macabre

Macabre

Awards
Coffee is a natural laxative. It works great for me too. There are some different foods which work as a natural laxative that you could try such a prunes, as well.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Coffee is a natural laxative.

@ MakaveliThaDon: There are some different natural laxative that you could try such a prunes.
Coffee is natural.It's a bean.:wink1:

Macabre

Macabre

Awards
Coffee is natural.It's a bean.:wink1:
Which is why I stated it acted as a natural laxative. It is the natural enzymes in coffee that acts as a powerful stimulant for colon movement, and not the caffeine. Even decaffeinated coffee should give the same effect.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
try this...

15 mins after each meal you eat, go sit on the toilet. (even if u dont have to poo)

this may help you have more frequent bowel movements

Macabre

Macabre

Awards
That i didn't know, i would have thought it had something to do with the caffeine.
Not necessarily. I can drink beverages with a high caffeine content like Diet Mountain Dew, and it does not have the same effect as coffee, at all. Most of the recent research on the subject points to the fact that it's the enzymes in the coffee that produce the laxative effect, and not the caffeine.

swollen87, that actually might not be a bad idea. Psychological warfare!

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
swollen87, that actually might not be a bad idea. Psychological warfare![/QUOTE]

i have some digestive issues as well, that method was reccomended to me by a doctor... and i have to admit, when your constantly giving your system a chance to poo, it poos more often

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
So I guess I've always had slow bowel movemens ever since I was a kid. When I was younger it might only happen once a week.

But obviously being a kid I was pretty oblivious to fiber intake, water intake, etc..

But it's just been bugging me lately that those same problems never went away. I eat 25-30g of fiber a day. Pretty much 50/50 between powder and whole food. Drink prolly close to 2 gallons of water a day if not more. Train 1-2 hours in the gym EVERY day 7 days a week, and I still don't get one bowel movement a day. It's usually every 3 days. And when it happens, it literally is like I just gave birth to a baby lizard. Sorry to get so graphic but I mean it's absolutely ridiculous, I've thought about calling up guiness and inquiring about some stats to see if I could qualify.

Is this a sign I am cursed with a slower than normal metabolism for the rest of my life or what? Or doesn't bowel movements really have any correlation with your metabolism?
OP, I had the same problem (only went once every 3 days). I've found that I had to eat MORE, and MORE often. If you have a fast metabolism, your body will hold onto the contents of your intestines in an attempt to get EVERYTHING out of it(because your body thinks "I must be in a famine, why else would he not be feeding me enough. I'd better hold onto this stuff and get everything out of it that I can until he feeds me again"). If you eat more, your body will be more willing to abandon the contents in your intestines for "fresher" food :D. This should produce a bowel movement quicker. Also, if your stools are hard, and you are drinking 2 gallons of water, you may want to try lowering your sodium intake (which will pull extra water from your small intestine due to osmosis). Good luck!
--Brian

M

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
OP, I had the same problem (only went once every 3 days). I've found that I had to eat MORE, and MORE often. If you have a fast metabolism, your body will hold onto the contents of your intestines in an attempt to get EVERYTHING out of it(because your body thinks "I must be in a famine, why else would he not be feeding me enough. I'd better hold onto this stuff and get everything out of it that I can until he feeds me again"). If you eat more, your body will be more willing to abandon the contents in your intestines for "fresher" food :D. This should produce a bowel movement quicker. Also, if your stools are hard, and you are drinking 2 gallons of water, you may want to try lowering your sodium intake (which will pull extra water from your small intestine due to osmosis). Good luck!
--Brian

You sure about that one brotha? I've always thought it was the other way around. If you have a fast metabolism, your body absorbs, uses and deposits the food you eat as soon as you eat it and is ready and expecting your next meal to come very fast. And on the other hand if you have a slow metabolism, it will hold onto it for fear of not getting another meal.

Anyways, I eat a **** ton of food, no pun intended.....unfortunately. I eat 7 meals a day, 2 huge salads, 1/2 cup oats, over a pound of chicken a day, etc..

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
You sure about that one brotha? I've always thought it was the other way around. If you have a fast metabolism, your body absorbs, uses and deposits the food you eat as soon as you eat it and is ready and expecting your next meal to come very fast. And on the other hand if you have a slow metabolism, it will hold onto it for fear of not getting another meal.

Anyways, I eat a **** ton of food, no pun intended.....unfortunately. I eat 7 meals a day, 2 huge salads, 1/2 cup oats, over a pound of chicken a day, etc..
I'm pretty sure, but I'm not a doctor (this is all what my gastro told me). I guess it's a survival mechanism. With a fast metabolism burning off body fat, once your body gets to a low body fat level, your brain will slow down intestinal motility, as a survival mechanism. It thinks you're in a famine (due to little body fat), so instead of being able to store nutrients in fat, it stores it in waste, and uses it as it is absorbed (fast metabolism). And as far as your food intake, I was eating more than you, and still only going once every 3 days or so. I had to REALLY ramp up my food intake before my habits changed.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
i dont think there is a big problem. i dont go very often because i dont eat huge amounts of fiber which works very well for me. there is enough fiber in fruit and vegetables to move your bowels along nicely. sometimes eating extra will backfire and slow it down even more.

going often is not good because it empties your gut of good bacteria too often. once every couple days is totally fine. if there is no pain then there is nothing to worry about. if you really want to, cleanse your colon with the oxypowder like someone suggested above. i did that a few years ago and it actually took like half an inch off my waist. your colon could possibly be a little clogged but i doubt there is a medical issue.

TonyMaserati

TonyMaserati

Awards
I recently started Primal Defense in hopes of getting rid of Candida and it seems to help with bowel movements. Good stuff as its a probiotic LOADED with good bacteria.

I gotta second the coffee effects too.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I recently started Primal Defense in hopes of getting rid of Candida and it seems to help with bowel movements. Good stuff as its a probiotic LOADED with good bacteria.

I gotta second the coffee effects too.
have you gotten rid of gluten/grains in your diet? thats #1 when it comes to dealing with something like that.

M

MATTYO1977

Awards
  • Established
Metamucil? A scoop a day in my AM shake works wonders. Nice and regular. 2 times a day.

That or Miralax makes my kids blow it out.

M

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I started some colon cleanse this afternoon. We shall see. I feel like I'm doing everything right to promote healthy bowel movements. 30g of fiber a day, from foods and fiber supps. Two 8 billion acidophilus caps from NOW nutrition a day, once in the am once at night. Eating 7 meals of solid foods, and then of course exercising every single day.

If the colon cleanse doesn't do something for me I'm scheduling regular enemas, LOL.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I'm not taking any medications.
dont take so much fiber bro, it could have a reverse effect. a healthy amount of fruit and vegetables honestly is enough to keep the bowels moving. there is no need for powders. try doing a cleanse and also post your daily diet in here.

ken22

ken22

Awards
Iv heard that can happen with to high protein to carb ratio.
Im like clock work, but if I eat prime rib, the next day, nothing, all bound up.

M

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
The colon cleanse produced a bowel movement in a few hours after I took it. This would be great if you could stay on this stuff you know, but obviously you are not supposed to stay on it long term.

ps. I avoid opening up the posting diet can of worms whenever possible, everyone always has something u are doing wrong, and a better idea. And I'd like to think after 12 years of training, and a few shows under my belt that I do know what works for me, lol.

M

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Iv heard that can happen with to high protein to carb ratio.
Im like clock work, but if I eat prime rib, the next day, nothing, all bound up.

sounds like the fat in it slowing the digestion.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
The colon cleanse produced a bowel movement in a few hours after I took it. This would be great if you could stay on this stuff you know, but obviously you are not supposed to stay on it long term.

ps. I avoid opening up the posting diet can of worms whenever possible, everyone always has something u are doing wrong, and a better idea. And I'd like to think after 12 years of training, and a few shows under my belt that I do know what works for me, lol.
very well except for the fact that you are asking a question about bowel movements which is almost directly related to your diet.

im not sure which product you used but the oxypowder is made to use for 7 straight days and then be done with it. it was pretty cool, for the first 6 months after i went through with it i could literally "go" anytime I wanted to sit down on the john and relax. now i eat barely any fiber, only from fruit and vegetables (no grains) and i feel amazing.

M

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Interesting. It wasn't the oxypowder. I was at work today, and there is a walgreens near me. So I just bought a bottle of the generic stuff for 9.99. It's just senna leaf powder. Take 4 caps twice daily. Don't use more than 7 days.

How much fiber would you say you take a day all put together with fruits and veggies?

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Interesting. It wasn't the oxypowder. I was at work today, and there is a walgreens near me. So I just bought a bottle of the generic stuff for 9.99. It's just senna leaf powder. Take 4 caps twice daily. Don't use more than 7 days.

How much fiber would you say you take a day all put together with fruits and veggies?
im not sure, it def cant be that (30grams) much though. i eat about a pound of brocolli, a few cups of baby carrots, a fruit salad and spinach. all these have a whole lot less fiber than grains do but if you dont eat grains you also have a whole lot less s**t. so for me this works. i eat a ton of food and go at most once a day, stomach and intestines feel light and empty.

TonyMaserati

TonyMaserati

Awards
have you gotten rid of gluten/grains in your diet? thats #1 when it comes to dealing with something like that.
Ehhh, trying. I am limiting myself to eggs, chicken and turkey breast with a small amount of bread. Like 1 slice.

I'm honestly more worried about the sucralose in my whey protein being able to feed the Candida more than the gluten.

I feel better already. Usually when Candida 'dies-off' I guess you experience some bad effects. So far, just have a stuffed up nose.

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established

Ya, I understand completely. Just remember, anyone responding to your post is only trying to help you. Take their advice or not, either way, it's free advice! Just my .02! Also, it seems I may have been wrong about the metabolism thing. I've been researching for a while today, and it seems my gastro doc didn't know what he was talking about (or, more likely, I don't remember exactly what he said). And, like Anton said, too much fiber and you're doomed! You need to drink more water for more fiber. 2 gallons may not be enough for you. Either way, good luck man, I hope you get this figured out.
--Brian

M

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I think a congratulations are in order boys :D I made THREE trips to the white thrown today!

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Careful. Senna is a stimulating laxative and will cause dependence from lazy bowels/decreased natural peristalsis

Good luck to you.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is incorrect information - note the suggested MAINTENANCE dosage ;)

http://www.oxypowder.com/instructions

im not sure which product you used but the oxypowder is made to use for 7 straight days and then be done with it. it was pretty cool, for the first 6 months after i went through with it i could literally "go" anytime I wanted to sit down on the john and relax. now i eat barely any fiber, only from fruit and vegetables (no grains) and i feel amazing.

M

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Careful. Senna is a stimulating laxative and will cause dependence from lazy bowels/decreased natural peristalsis

Good luck to you.

I'm just running it for 7 days to cleanse, then I plan on being done with it.

N

NxtVictim

Awards

Good luck to you.
I agree, there is actually a product called Detox-LGC that I used twice a year. It helps clean out my colon and can help build up on the intestine walls. Normally the quote "you think your sht don't stink" is made fun of. But its true, there should be very little smell to no smell in your BMs. The more bacteria you have the worse it will smell. But, you don't wanna go from I can't crap, to holy crap i need depends. No one likes a Leakey O ring lol

Really Bad Smelling comes from
An imbalance of intestinal bacteria or eating too much animal protein, which can putrefy in your digestive tract.

While your digestive cells are absorbing sugars, starches, fats, vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients, waste products continue traveling down the line. In the colon, all the leftovers are combined, packed together, and partially dehydrated. What remains - our feces - consist of water, indigestible fiber, undigested food (such as corn and small seeds), sloughed-off dead cells, living and dead bacteria, intestinal secretions, and bile. (The worn-out red blood cells in bile give excrement its distinctive brown color.)

If all goes as it should, you'll end up with a healthy bowel movement. Although digestive idiosyncrasies, variations in intestinal bacteria, and other variables can produce different standards for a healthy stool, in general it should be brown to light brown; formed but not hard; cylindrical, not flattened; fairly bulky and full-bodied, not compacted; somewhat textured but not too messy; and very easy to pass. And it shouldn't smell - much. You're passing methane and bacterial, degraded foodstuffs, so there's always going to be an odor, but it shouldn't be a very strong, pungent odor.

Frequency
There's no generally accepted clinical definition for frequent bowel movements. Bowel habits vary widely among healthy people. Population studies indicate that most people have more than three bowel movements a week. Generally speaking, however, normal is what's normal for you.

Frequency of bowel movements also varies for individuals over time. You could have one bowel movement a day for years, and then begin to have two or three for no obvious reason. If your bowel movements increase in frequency but not in any other way — no loose, watery stools and abdominal cramping (diarrhea) or bloody stool — the change is probably not a sign of illness.

I hope this helps. I can site the info if you wish. most this came from my personal nutritionist, and doctor, we had many interesting talks lol.

BigBen89

BigBen89

Awards

well at least you're not like me and hae to go like 4 times a day.....sucks, especially when you go out on a date and need to go.

N

NxtVictim

Awards
If you drink coffee, Try and use splenda with fiber, like clock work it keeps me regular. It's the only thing i use splenda for, and it's always worked. I try to keep to a natural fiber intake as much as possible so that it don't become chemically dependent, maybe im wrong.

M

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
If you drink coffee, Try and use splenda with fiber, like clock work it keeps me regular. It's the only thing i use splenda for, and it's always worked. I try to keep to a natural fiber intake as much as possible so that it don't become chemically dependent, maybe im wrong.

I think splenda acts somewhat like insoluble fiber. VERY little of splenda is actually digested by your body, the rest is passed through undigested, which is why it has no caloric value.

N

NxtVictim

Awards

I think splenda acts somewhat like insoluble fiber. VERY little of splenda is actually digested by your body, the rest is passed through undigested, which is why it has no caloric value.
Yeah, I knew there wasn't a caloric value, but the splenda with added fiber, for some reason when added to my coffee, its like clock work being on the can lol
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

M

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I knew there wasn't a caloric value, but the splenda with added fiber, for some reason when added to my coffee, its like clock work being on the can lol
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

So not only does it not have any calories, it actually literally makes you expend calories, LOL. Thats quite the combo :D

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
Splenda could also be like sorbitol, in that it draws water away from the body (reverse osmosis), acting as a diuretic. I have no information that splenda acts in such a way, but it's a possibility.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
polyethylene glycol aka miralax.... people who have to use opiates for chronic pain often get constipation, and it is safe for long term use... it works by drawing more water into the colon