Benefits of Fish Oil
- 01-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Benefits of Fish Oil
Hey everyone. I was going over some things and noticed Alot of people Supplement with fish oil. Got me thinking why you wouldnt want to. Here is a quick list of benefits.
1. Less Pain and Inflammation. Omega 3 fatty acids, particularly EPA, have a very positive effect on your inflammatory response. Through several mechanisms, they regulate your body's inflammation cycle, which prevents and relieves painful conditions like arthritis, prostatitis, cystitis and anything else ending in "itis."
2. Cardiovascular Health. Omega 3 fatty acids have also been proven to work wonders for your heart and the miles and miles of arteries and veins that make up your cardiovascular system. They help to lower cholesterol, tryglicerides, LDLs and blood pressure, while at the same time increasing good HDL cholesterol. This adds years to your life expectancy.
3. Protection from Stroke and Heart Attack. When plaque builds up on arterial walls and then breaks loose, it causes what's known as a thrombosis, which is a fancy way of saying clot. If a clot gets stuck in the brain, it causes a stroke and when it plugs an artery, it causes a heart attack. Research shows omega 3 fatty acids break up clots before they can cause any damage.
4. Better Brain Function and Higher Intelligence. Pregnant and nursing mothers can have a great impact on the intelligence and happiness of their babies by supplementing with fish oil. For adults, omega 3 improves memory, recall, reasoning and focus. You'll swear you're getting younger and smarter.
5. Less Depression and Psychosis. Making you smarter is not all omega 3 does for your brain. Psychiatry department researchers at the University of Sheffield, along with many other research studies, found that omega 3 fish oil supplements "alleviate" the symptoms of depression, bipolar and psychosis (Journal of Affective Disorder Vol. 48(2-3);149-55).
6. Lower Incidence of Childhood Disorders. Just to show how fish oil fatty acids leave nobody out, studies show that children (and adults) with ADD and ADHD experience a greatly improved quality of life. And those with dyslexia, dyspraxia and compulsive disorders have gotten a new lease on life thanks to omega 3 oils.
7. Reduction of Breast, Colon and Prostate Cancer. And finally, omega 3 fish oil has been shown to help prevent three of the most common forms of cancer - breast, colon and prostate. Science tells us that omega 3s accomplish this in three ways. They stop the alteration from a normal healthy cell to a cancerous mass, inhibiting unwanted cellular growth and causing apoptosis, or cellular death, of cancer cells.
What Im curious about, is that for the people supplementing with fish oil, Do you FEEL the benefits. Or just use them Because they are "supposed" to help?
Me personally, I first starting using them when someone suggested I use them for an achey knee I had from time to time. Which I guess was the help from inflammation. I didnt notice much at first but after about 3 weeks to a month I noticed my knee rarely bothered me. Now It is a daily staple. I take 3 grams in the morning and 3 grams at night.
- 01-05-2011, 09:33 PM
01-06-2011, 07:29 AM
I don't really feel the difference personally but have been taking them for 3 or so years now and will continue for the rest of my life.
01-06-2011, 11:30 AM
i feel a slight test boost when i take like 15+ grams a day. joints feel smoother, no clicking or cracking. skin usually feels better.
01-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Many of the benefits listed in your post are the result of studys done on EPA/DHA in particular. It is not simply the amount of F/O but rathere the amount of EPA/DHA. It is suggested about 2-3g of EPA/DHA.
An inexpensive commercial generic grade of F/O rates about 30% EPA/DHA. At that rate you want to take 7-9g total F/O.
01-06-2011, 12:21 PM
01-06-2011, 02:18 PM
01-06-2011, 02:36 PM
01-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Relax pal. I asked you, not the OP, to support your assertion.
Fish oil increases nitric oxide which can improve and increase erections. Fish oil improves insulin resistance which can account for food consumption issues.
Opinions are great and all. Don't be affraid to go beyond your feelings and get an education while you're at it.
01-06-2011, 04:10 PM
SWEET!!! This is the stuff I wanted to hear. Different opinions!
I also wanted more info on fish oil. I am not a human encyclopedia..LOL.
I didnt realize it increased nitric oxide..BONUS!!!
And as far as me saying..FEEL IT!!! I meant like a poster mentioned..smoother joints and what not.
KEEP IT COMING GUYS!!!
P.S. No fighting kids...:b
01-06-2011, 09:45 PM
01-06-2011, 09:52 PM
01-07-2011, 05:50 AM
I remember seeing a psychiatrist. She had me on saraquil. I told Her I was taking fish oil, and she asked why. I told her my reasons. She then went on and told me that it helped with depression and "bipolar" like symptoms. Blew my mind. She suggested I take at least 6 grams a day.
01-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Fish oil is used to help with depression, anxiety, ADHD and a slew of other psychological conditions.
Google: "fish oil psychiatric benefits"
01-07-2011, 12:56 PM
01-07-2011, 01:11 PM
You took care of the nitty gritty details lol
But from my standpoint, once I got over 250 on the bench I hit a plateau because of my elbows and previously torn shoulder.
I started taking fish oil twice a day and 6 months later I am pushing up 315x4 and feel great. I have a little click in my elbow and I have to stretch my shoulder but that never would have been possible without fishoil
01-08-2011, 02:48 AM
Fish oil just lubes the joints imo. I mean I know it does a bunch of other stuff, omega fatty acids are definitely great, but the joint help is what I take it for. Charles Poliquin recommends to mega dose fish oil 20+ G per day. I always forget to take that much but I buy NP bulk fish oil by the kilo so I try and take about 5G per meal, just forget a lot. I get lots of conola oil in Animal Flex which is the best joint supp Ive found so far. I also take Cissus in every protein shake, maybe 2 or 3G. Fish oil is definitely good though.
Check this out: Im drunk so "I can't find Charles original article but this is close:
01-10-2011, 07:26 AM
I know that there are many omega 3 rich supplements available, but those combining omega 3 and glucosamine seem to give good results. I've been taking OmegaFlex and would recommend it to anyone.
01-11-2011, 12:34 PM
01-11-2011, 07:04 PM
01-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Prolonging the life of cells is not the only anti-aging benefit of fish oil. Fish oil has also been shown to significantly reduce the risk of developing age-related macular degeneration.
Fish oil benefits to pregnant women and the unborn children
Fish oil has also been shown to be beneficial to pregnant women and the unborn child. It is recommended that a pregnant woman have 900 mg of fish oil per day, which is equivalent to a serving of salmon per day. The benefits to the unborn child are numerous and include: healthier brain with increased intelligence; good nervous system development; better eyesight from retina formation; fewer behavioral problems after birth; and better sleeping patterns as a new born
Fish oil and depression, bipolar disorder, and schizophrenia
By maintain the proper functioning of dopamine and serotonin signaling systems in the brain
Benefite the skin
Wounds heal quickly. With an ample supply of omega-3 fatty acids, abrasions and other superficial wounds to the skin heal quickly as the cells regenerate fast enough to produce new cells to cover the old ones. The skin does not produce much sebum or oils that cause acne and other problems. EPA also helps to limit the amount of skin oil that the body produces. This prevents acne which erupts only when dust and dirt get caught in skin pores due to excessive oil in the skin. There are lesser incidences of inflammatory skin diseases. Last but not the least, EPA helps to reduce the incidence of skin diseases such as psoriasis by inhibiting the production of the hormone arachidonic acid.
Promotes fat metabolism
Promotes Optimal Fat MetabolismAccording to the National Institutes of Health, omega-3s trigger “I’m full” signals to the brain and help quash hunger signals. Research has also shown that fish oil improves the efficacy of exercise in reducing weight. Volunteers who were given fish oil diet showed greater weight loss as compared to those who did not consume fish oil diet. Exercise combined with fish oil had a positive effect on the body shape and body composition of the patients
01-11-2011, 07:34 PM
"Fish oil benefits to pregnant women and the unborn children
Fish oil has also been shown to be beneficial to pregnant women and the unborn child. It is recommended that a pregnant woman have 900 mg of fish oil per day, which is equivalent to a serving of salmon per day. The benefits to the unborn child are numerous and include: a healthier brain with increased intelligence; good nervous system development; better eyesight from retina formation; fewer behavioral problems after birth; and better sleeping patterns as a new born"
This right here is VERY interesting.... Looking to have a kid in a couple years and this is good stuff!!!
01-11-2011, 07:36 PM
In all serious I have seen the benefit of EPA/DHA with Compulsive disorders, as well as seasonal depression. It also shows benefit in allowing a smaller dose of depression medications and mood stabilizers. I have some of my own speculative theories as well.
01-11-2011, 11:30 PM
same here on the couple years.. and the smarter of a brain my kid has the easier my parenting life will be lol
01-12-2011, 05:41 AM
Similar Forum Threads
- By David Dunn in forum SupplementsReplies: 16Last Post: 04-18-2009, 08:42 AM
- By bslick69b in forum SupplementsReplies: 16Last Post: 07-30-2008, 10:56 PM
- By cessna in forum SupplementsReplies: 18Last Post: 05-01-2008, 01:35 PM
- By YellowJacket in forum SupplementsReplies: 10Last Post: 02-19-2003, 10:52 AM