Shirataki Noodles

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
Anybody hear of these before? 0 calories for 3 ounces? Might be a good addition on a cut, tossed with some lean meat, garlic and EVOO? The label says its mostly water and glucomannan, a water-soluble dietary fiber.

lrdrvr

Awards
First post, long time lurker,... Anyway, my wife is Japanese and she's heard of those before but never tried them. Not sure if they would pass a smell test for us long-nosed round-eyes... lol
There's quite a bit of Japanese cooking that's an 'acquired' taste. Like black yam noodle, natto, etc...

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
First post, long time lurker,... Anyway, my wife is Japanese and she's heard of those before but never tried them. Not sure if they would pass a smell test for us long-nosed round-eyes... lol
There's quite a bit of Japanese cooking that's an 'acquired' taste. Like black yam noodle, natto, etc...
Thats for commenting bro. Yes it is Japanese and this was the sort of thing I was wondering about. Most ppl claim its got a bit of a fishey smell because of the water it is packed in but that after soaking it for awhile its got really no smell or flavor on its own. Pretty much it takes on the flavor of whatever else you cook it with, e.g. tomato sauce or EVOO and garlic.

I can't find them in the grocery store but if I could I'd give em a try.

lrdrvr

Awards
How about bean thread noodles? They have no taste on their own. Are available pretty much everywhere. They're basically just carbs with low calories (zero protein though). Japanese girls like those as low calorie foods. You now, for those awful times when they get close to 100lbs... lol
Just stay clear of the ones made in China. Some were contaminated with heavy metals in the past. Why take that chance?

Did you try a asian grocery store?

Btw, thanks for the reps. :)

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
How about bean thread noodles? They have no taste on their own. Are available pretty much everywhere. They're basically just carbs with low calories (zero protein though). Japanese girls like those as low calorie foods. You now, for those awful times when they get close to 100lbs... lol
Just stay clear of the ones made in China. Some were contaminated with heavy metals in the past. Why take that chance?

Did you try a asian grocery store?

Btw, thanks for the reps. :)
no doubt - im going to see if i can find an asian grocery store first. I'm actually on a CKD right now so the carbs are the problem more than the calories.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
I've had them several times. They are not bad really...kinda remind me of undercooked ramen style noodles. Do rinse them well though, they have kind of a slight fishy smell to them. I found them at my local oriental store for a buck something a bag...which was about a serving to me. They are sold wet in a fluid of some sort, hence the rinsing. I just tossed them in boiling water for a few seconds to warm them up, and covered them in tomato and meat sauce. When you are on restricted carbs, they do work to curb that noodle craving.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
I've had them several times. They are not bad really...kinda remind me of undercooked ramen style noodles. Do rinse them well though, they have kind of a slight fishy smell to them. I found them at my local oriental store for a buck something a bag...which was about a serving to me. They are sold wet in a fluid of some sort, hence the rinsing. I just tossed them in boiling water for a few seconds to warm them up, and covered them in tomato and meat sauce. When you are on restricted carbs, they do work to curb that noodle craving.
sweet - ill let u know how it goes.