Milk?

  1. New Member
    machwon04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    180
    Rep Power
    190
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    95.29%

    Milk?


    What's the concensus on milk in a bodybuilder's diet? It seems it would be great to consume if it weren't for the sugar. Is it a natural sugar, or is it actually processed sugar that's added in for taste? Also, what % would be the healthiest? I've seen where some guys drink whole milk, but my Fiance got all freaked out when I bought some (she was a Kines major in undergrad, and now in Physical Therapy school, so lots of health classes) and told me that any nutritionist would say that it is almost as bad for you as ranch dressing.

  2. Senior Member
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Rep Power
    737
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    99.63%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Ever since I pulled dairy out of my diet, I've felt much less bloated. It was one of the few things I've done to make such a noticable change.
  3. Advanced Member
    Jake Fires's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    26
    Posts
    546
    Rep Power
    338
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    19.43%

    ultra skim milk is great. mostly just calcium protien and water.

    Cow milk is for baby cows.
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3789
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    44.66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    yea milk is gross. cows are all steroided up. milk is pasteurized which kills any beneficial bacteria and then homogenized which completely destroys its structure. the bloat factor is huge, i remember back in the day thinking that i was fat but i was actually just bloated from drinking alot of milk.
  5. Advanced Member
    OnTheRoadTo's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  272 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    678
    Rep Power
    436
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    66.73%

    American non-organic milk is estrogenic and should be treated as such. It's also commonly allergenic, highly insulogenic, and somewhat pro-inflammatory.

    It also has a VERY good mix of proteins, fats, and carbs, and is cheap.

    I use milk on bulks only.
    Paging Dr. Banner. . .
  6. New Member
    machwon04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    180
    Rep Power
    190
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    95.29%

    Thanks for the replies.

    What's your take on soy and almond milk?
  7. Advanced Member
    OnTheRoadTo's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  272 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    678
    Rep Power
    436
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    66.73%

    they're both garbage protein. I stopped counting non dairy (whey) and non meat sources toward my total count long ago. They're fine for calories if you like the taste. The estrogenic potential of soy is, generally, overstated, and studies show it is actually less than western milk.
    Paging Dr. Banner. . .
  8. New Member
    machwon04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    180
    Rep Power
    190
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    95.29%

    Ok, I'll go without milk for a while and see how my body reacts.

    What about liquid eqq whites out of the carton? I've been going through a tall carton in about 2 days for a while now. I add it to my smoothies and sometimes drink a full glass with a little soy milk (taste) mixed in before bed at night.
  9. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3789
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    44.66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by machwon04 View Post
    Ok, I'll go without milk for a while and see how my body reacts.

    What about liquid eqq whites out of the carton? I've been going through a tall carton in about 2 days for a while now. I add it to my smoothies and sometimes drink a full glass with a little soy milk (taste) mixed in before bed at night.
    you should eat whole eggs, tons of nutrients in there. if doing just whites, careful to not go over 20 a day because it can cause a biotin deficiency
  10. New Member
    machwon04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    180
    Rep Power
    190
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    95.29%

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    you should eat whole eggs, tons of nutrients in there. if doing just whites, careful to not go over 20 a day because it can cause a biotin deficiency
    I mix in an egg or two (raw) into my morning smoothies as well.
  11. New Member
    Emma's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    56
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    43.05%

    Yeah, milk is gross. It's supposed to have benefits but I haven't seen them.
  12. New Member
    Newtonselite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    477
    Rep Power
    833
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    99.74%

    Well im a milk fan! love the stuff and never had a problem with it. I drink it both during cuts and bulks. I know this subject normally leads to a very heated topic .

    But i grew up on a cattle & sugar cane farm, plus my ol man and also my grandpa were both dairy farmers for a while lol, so im a little biased!...
  13. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3789
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    44.66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Newtonselite View Post
    Well im a milk fan! love the stuff and never had a problem with it. I drink it both during cuts and bulks. I know this subject normally leads to a very heated topic .

    But i grew up on a cattle & sugar cane farm, plus my ol man and also my grandpa were both dairy farmers for a while lol, so im a little biased!...
    you are probably getting different milk than we are. if you have an access to a farm or some kind of a small local operation then you are not getting all the nasty hormones that we do in our commercialized milk.
  14. Senior Member
    NADDANME's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  203 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,199
    Rep Power
    811536
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    35.22%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    you are probably getting different milk than we are. if you have an access to a farm or some kind of a small local operation then you are not getting all the nasty hormones that we do in our commercialized milk.
    The hormones in milk thing is completely blown out of preportion. Most farmer don't use hormones, becuase there was such a big debate about them back in the 90's. Next time you go to the store check how many kinds are labeled hormone free. Where i'm at in PA local store has 4 different brands ALL are hormone free.
  15. Senior Member
    NADDANME's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  203 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,199
    Rep Power
    811536
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    35.22%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by machwon04 View Post
    What's the concensus on milk in a bodybuilder's diet? It seems it would be great to consume if it weren't for the sugar. Is it a natural sugar, or is it actually processed sugar that's added in for taste? Also, what % would be the healthiest? I've seen where some guys drink whole milk, but my Fiance got all freaked out when I bought some (she was a Kines major in undergrad, and now in Physical Therapy school, so lots of health classes) and told me that any nutritionist would say that it is almost as bad for you as ranch dressing.
    There is no added suger in milk there is a sizeable amout of naturally occuring sugar though.
  16. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3789
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    44.66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by NADDANME View Post
    The hormones in milk thing is completely blown out of preportion. Most farmer don't use hormones, becuase there was such a big debate about them back in the 90's. Next time you go to the store check how many kinds are labeled hormone free. Where i'm at in PA local store has 4 different brands ALL are hormone free.
    yea what about the steroids they shoot the cows when they get sick? there are many things wrong with that industry. if you can get milk straight from your own cow that you fed then thats probably good for your body, but the over proccessed stuff you get in stores is far from its original state. i think in the movie Food Inc they show some of these practices.
  17. Senior Member
    NADDANME's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  203 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,199
    Rep Power
    811536
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    35.22%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    yea what about the steroids they shoot the cows when they get sick? there are many things wrong with that industry. if you can get milk straight from your own cow that you fed then thats probably good for your body, but the over proccessed stuff you get in stores is far from its original state. i think in the movie Food Inc they show some of these practices.
    When they say hormone free they are talking about not injecting the cow there are some antibotics to a small degree found in some milk but the same is true for much of the drinking water in the USA.
  18. New Member
    wildfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    330
    Rep Power
    265
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    64.38%

    I like Kefir by Lifeway. Low lactose, inulin for fiber, and probiotics.
  19. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3789
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    44.66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by NADDANME View Post
    When they say hormone free they are talking about not injecting the cow there are some antibotics to a small degree found in some milk but the same is true for much of the drinking water in the USA.
    ok drinking water sucks but lets do a quick skim search on the internet:

    "On any given day, there are more than 8 million cows on U.S. dairy farms—about 14 million fewer than there were in 1950. Yet milk production has continued to increase, from 116 billion pounds of milk per year in 1950 to 170 billion pounds in 2004.(6,7) Normally, these animals would produce only enough milk to meet the needs of their calves (around 16 pounds per day), but genetic manipulation, antibiotics, and hormones are used to force each cow to produce more than 18,000 pounds of milk each year (an average of 50 pounds per day)."

    "at least 5% of milk on shop shelves is reportedly contaminated with Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis (MAP), a bacterium linked to Crohn's disease."

    "Milk contains Insulin Growth Factor (IGF). IGF-1 is very rich in milk. It's doubly rich in modern milk, partly because cows have been selectively reared to produce milk during pregnancy. This milk is especially rich in oestrogen. On top of that, in the US cows are treated with bovine growth hormone (BGH), which is a growth hormone capable of further increasing milk yield by about 12 per cent. All this means a cow's daily milk production has gone from 3 to 30 litres. Not surprisingly, this milk has two to five times the amount of IGF-1, while the beef from a BST treated animals has about double the IGF. Casein, the protein in milk, helps to carry the IGF into us. The more milk you drink the higher your blood level of IGF-1."

    "In addition to digestive problems, milk has been linked to ailments ranging from acne and weight gain to heart disease, cancer and diabetes. Plus, according to a Harvard Medical School analysis of the evidence, milk does not protect against osteoporosis. The study revealed that countries with low calcium intake (just 300 mg/day) tend to have a lower incidence of hip fractures (an indication of osteoporosis) than those with higher calcium consumption rates."

    "dairy can cause digestive disorders and allergies. Most adults are unable to properly digest milk sugar (lactose). The enzymes needed to digest lactose typically phase out of the human body around age seven, when they would no longer be needed in nature. Your body responds to undigested lactose with mucous and inflammation.

    Excess mucous in your system will clog up your digestive and respiratory tracts. The common results are frequent colds, asthma, allergies, sinus problems, tumors, cysts, constipation, colon trouble, Candidiasis, and excess weight. People suffering from these conditions often experience “miraculous” recovery when they eliminate dairy from their diet or find a healthy milk substitute.

    Eating dairy products also contributes to an acidic condition in your body. An acidic body is the perfect environment for a wide variety of diseases. "

    "The cows are milked throughout their pregnancies and pushed to their limit of milk production, stimulating the release of stress and sex hormones into the milk. The presence of these hormones has been linked to the early onset of puberty of young girls in industrialized countries as well as the development of hormone related cancers (breast, prostate and ovarian). This is true, albeit to a lesser extent, of commercial organic milk as well.

    Cows on factory farms are exposed to high levels of environmental toxins from their feed, water and surroundings. The cow’s body naturally protects itself by storing these toxins in its fatty tissues and milk. Consequently, high levels of concentrated dioxins, pesticides and other toxins wind up in the commercial milk supply. When tested, modern milk shows a 400% higher pesticide level than an equivalent sample of grains.

    In addition to this contamination, all commercial milk is pasteurized and homogenized. Pasteurization is designed to kill harmful bacteria. It also destroys nutrients and the vital enzymes needed to digest the milk.

    Homogenization breaks apart the fat molecules so the cream and milk no longer separate. This practice has serious health repercussions. Homogenization allows the enzyme Xanthine Oxidase (XO) to enter the bloodstream instead of being excreted as it normally would. This XO enzyme passes easily through the intestinal lining. There it acts as little knives inside your veins and arteries, cutting away at the artery walls. Your body makes cholesterol to repair these wounds. This process leads to atherosclerosis, high cholesterol and heart disease. These diseases are now being discovered even in the bodies of very young children and homogenized milk is suspected as the cause."

    i mean there is plenty of information out there. the only people still pushing to drink milk is the government, which produces the milk. vegetables provide a much more quality source of calcium. drink it all you want but the stuff aint good for you brother
  20. Senior Member
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Rep Power
    737
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    99.63%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    So milk's not good for you...the next thing you're going to tell me is that my fruity pebbles aren't either, huh?
  21. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3789
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    44.66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Manback View Post
    So milk's not good for you...the next thing you're going to tell me is that my fruity pebbles aren't either, huh?
    lol no of course fruity pebbles increase free testosterone by 333% in ten days
  22. Senior Member
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Rep Power
    737
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    99.63%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    I could honestly eat boxes of fruity pebbles or just about any breakfast cereal for that matter. It's too bad.
  23. Senior Member
    NADDANME's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  203 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,199
    Rep Power
    811536
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    35.22%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    i mean there is plenty of information out there. the only people still pushing to drink milk is the government, which produces the milk. vegetables provide a much more quality source of calcium. drink it all you want but the stuff aint good for you brother
    I repect your view and i have had this agrument before have done the research and have not been convince. But i don't agree with the statement in bold for sure i know alot of hardworking Dairy Farmers. A few things to keep in mind though 1) Not all cows in usa are raised for Milking. Dairy farming and raising cows for beef have become more specialize and dairy farmer breed cows for more Milk. (natural selection) 2)A good precentage of the Milk in USA comes from Canada but thats a whole different story. 3)The number one anti milk website and many videos are run by a real nut that has a busniess selling Soy milk. He also makes alot of claims and throws out a lot of number with no backing. He also has no Medical or Science Education. With that I'm done.
  24. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3789
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    44.66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by NADDANME View Post
    I repect your view and i have had this agrument before have done the research and have not been convince. But i don't agree with the statement in bold for sure i know alot of hardworking Dairy Farmers. A few things to keep in mind though 1) Not all cows in usa are raised for Milking. Dairy farming and raising cows for beef have become more specialize and dairy farmer breed cows for more Milk. (natural selection) 2)A good precentage of the Milk in USA comes from Canada but thats a whole different story. 3)The number one anti milk website and many videos are run by a real nut that has a busniess selling Soy milk. He also makes alot of claims and throws out a lot of number with no backing. He also has no Medical or Science Education. With that I'm done.
    were not arguing my brother, just trying to figure it out. soy milk is just as loaded with estrogens as cow milk. i also respect your choice to drink the milk, i was merely providing some information for the original poster.
  25. Senior Member
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Rep Power
    737
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    99.63%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by NADDANME View Post
    I repect your view and i have had this agrument before have done the research and have not been convince. But i don't agree with the statement in bold for sure i know alot of hardworking Dairy Farmers. A few things to keep in mind though 1) Not all cows in usa are raised for Milking. Dairy farming and raising cows for beef have become more specialize and dairy farmer breed cows for more Milk. (natural selection) 2)A good precentage of the Milk in USA comes from Canada but thats a whole different story. 3)The number one anti milk website and many videos are run by a real nut that has a busniess selling Soy milk. He also makes alot of claims and throws out a lot of number with no backing. He also has no Medical or Science Education. With that I'm done.
    Ask him what he thinks about bread...
  26. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3789
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    44.66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Manback View Post
    Ask him what he thinks about bread...
    hahaha i understand that its funny that i have these radical dietary beliefs but i am not the only one. more than anything, eliminating these things from my own diet made a huge difference in my health and physique. one of my roomates at the beginning of the summer was around 5'10 195, not much muscle mostly fat with a belly. I changed his diet, we eliminated all grains/sugars and in about a month and a half he was down to 165ish. gym 3 times a week, minimal cardio. now hes looking way more muscular and with some periodic keto runs he is now getting to a 6 pack. its not just gypsy science, it definitely works.
  27. Senior Member
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Rep Power
    737
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    99.63%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    lol, I was just making a joke. In all seriousness, you've def helped me to open my eyes.
  28. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3789
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    44.66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Manback View Post
    lol, I was just making a joke. In all seriousness, you've def helped me to open my eyes.
    in unrelated news, im wondering how are the chances for a summer Tool tour that swings by the east coast
  29. Senior Member
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Rep Power
    737
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    99.63%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    in unrelated news, im wondering how are the chances for a summer Tool tour that swings by the east coast
    Man, I haven't been on toolshed or any other TOOL forum to get the inside in such a long time. They'll come. They go years between discs (well worth the wait), and with everyones side projects, it's rightfully so. I saw Maynard earlier this year in Stamford, Ct under his Puscifer alias. From a musical, un-TOOL-biases opinion, it was THE best musical/visual performance I have ever seen. He is unbelievably talented, and likes 2% milk.

    If the closest they come to Ct is Jersey, I'm joining ya!
  30. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3789
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    44.66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Manback View Post
    Man, I haven't been on toolshed or any other TOOL forum to get the inside in such a long time. They'll come. They go years between discs (well worth the wait), and with everyones side projects, it's rightfully so. I saw Maynard earlier this year in Stamford, Ct under his Puscifer alias. From a musical, un-TOOL-biases opinion, it was THE best musical/visual performance I have ever seen. He is unbelievably talented, and likes 2% milk.

    If the closest they come to Ct is Jersey, I'm joining ya!
    awww man I missed the Philly Puscifer show. listened to the cd a few times and it just didnt move me they way Tool does. I saw them at Bonnaroo festival in 2007 and it changed my life, i was ripping open glowsticks with my mouth and crying tears of happyness (NOT because of the handful of doses that i ate lol)
  31. Senior Member
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Rep Power
    737
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    99.63%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    awww man I missed the Philly Puscifer show. listened to the cd a few times and it just didnt move me they way Tool does. I saw them at Bonnaroo festival in 2007 and it changed my life, i was ripping open glowsticks with my mouth and crying tears of happyness (NOT because of the handful of doses that i ate lol)
    Right, the puscifer discs are nothing what his live shows are like...trust me. I can't get into the produced discs either. "V is for..." You would have to see it to really appreciate what I'm saying.

    I'm jealous of your bonnaroo journey. I've heard many stories.

    I'll look into what the plan of action is.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Milk substitute cheaper than muscle milk?
    By kingdong in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-22-2010, 11:10 AM
  2. Does almond milk contain triglycerides like coconut milk?
    By schwellington in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-02-2010, 06:14 PM
  3. Almond milk vs Soy milk Questions?
    By Colochine in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-25-2010, 11:25 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-13-2009, 12:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in