is it ohk to run before weight training?

HarleyPitts

Awards
hey i'd like to be doin 20-30mins of cardio before my weight training which is 5 days a week is it ohk to do this?

colange2

Awards
I'd rather do it after...but it can't hurt to try and see how your body feels

ken22

ken22

Awards
I do cardio after if I do at all. I want 100% for lifts and then if energy is low for cardio thats fine i will just run a little slower

HarleyPitts

Awards
I'd rather do it after...but it can't hurt to try and see how your body feels
sweet but if i do it after do i take my protien shake before the cardio cause i dont wanna lose the muscle from running do i?

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
can you run before...yes, personally i think runnig after woudl be better so u have energy to lift, do a 10 minute warmup jog or so...lift, then run....... in regards to teh protein shake if its jsut protein and u can stomach it while running i would say have it befoe u run, if not get a good BCAA product like xtend and sip it throughout ur workout that way ur not slipping into a catabolic state for ur run and then jsut take ur shake afterwards

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hey i'd like to be doin 20-30mins of cardio before my weight training which is 5 days a week is it ohk to do this?
You can run before resistance training if you want, yes.

sweet but if i do it after do i take my protien shake before the cardio cause i dont wanna lose the muscle from running do i?
Whether you have a protein shake before or after post-weights cardio is up to you. Running is the most catabolic mode of cardio, but if your nutrition is right throughout the day and you're getting in the calories you require, then it should not be an issue.

~Rosie~

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
u will also be more likely to burn fat after weigths becaue your glycogen levels will be lower

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do cardio after if I do at all. I want 100% for lifts and then if energy is low for cardio thats fine i will just run a little slower
^ This.

As long as you're keeping your weight-training session down to a reasonable amount of time (i.e. not spending 2 hours putzing around) and your cardio is kept brief and immediately after weights (20-30 minutes), just slam your shake as soon as you step off the treadmill.

I personally like to wait about 15 minutes or so after my lifts are done before I have my whey isolate shake anyway, so a brief cardio session wouldn't alter how I swing my nutrition post-workout.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
Am I the only one that alternates cardio and weight days?

M-W-F weights
T-R cardio
Sat. long slow walk with wife about 5 miles.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Am I the only one that alternates cardio and weight days?
If one is bulking, I would imagine that they wold be more likely to do this if they incorporate cardio into their training programme.

HarleyPitts, did you end up running before your resistance training?

~Rosie~

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
You don't want your glycogen levels low before you workout, you won't have much energy or strength to lift. Warm up with dynamic stretching and Do your cardio after.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
I think it depends entirely on your goals, if your bulking up id suggest either do it on a separate day or after so you dont tire yourself out before your workout. However for me im trying to cut a bit and feel if i do cardio afterworkout i never get as much out of it, i run for about a mile before to warm up and then hit weights. If my goal is longer like 20-30 minutes id would suggest after lifting however.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
When your young you can get away with it more but as you get older you gotta warm up the muscles your gonna work, if you don't injury and setbacks are in your future.

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
Cardio after weights is only 2nd to AM fasted cardio ;)

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Cardio after weights is only 2nd to AM fasted cardio ;)
Use with caution...lol..some people may pass out on their cardio equipment or feel their legs give out and hit the floor right after. Keep some gatorade on hand ;)

Macabre

Macabre

Awards
I've always heard it was better to do it after, but I prefer to do it before.

ChrisSurf

Awards
I wonder if anybody can actually stomach a shake before running lol, when I run its usually a real 3 mile or so run, not on the treadmill etc which doesn't seem to work your cardio as hard. I can run 3 miles on a machine no problem, but in the real world those same 3 miles kick my ass lol

hugeswole

hugeswole

Awards
I like to do cardio first so that my endorphins are going when I hit the stacks. But I really prefer to do cardio in the morning and weights at night. Double sessions are where it's at!

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I wonder if anybody can actually stomach a shake before running lol, when I run its usually a real 3 mile or so run, not on the treadmill etc which doesn't seem to work your cardio as hard. I can run 3 miles on a machine no problem, but in the real world those same 3 miles kick my ass lol
That's what gatorade and like drinks were made for. Forget a milk shake! LOL