hypo after pwo meal, too many carbs or not enough?

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
So I seem to start getting slightly hypo about 2 hours after my PWO meal. I don't eat my next meal til about 3 hours after, so obviously this is somewhat of an uncomfortable feeling.

I train for 2 hours, roughly 1 hour of weights and 1 hour of cardio. Which is pretty taxing. I slam a little over 100g of dex/complex carb mix pwo, which I thought to me seemed like PLENTY of carbs. But maybe that much training needs even MORE carbs? Or the other end of the spectrum is I'm taking in too many carbs, and am subsequently crashing 2 hours later.

Thoughts?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So I seem to start getting slightly hypo about 2 hours after my PWO meal. I don't eat my next meal til about 3 hours after, so obviously this is somewhat of an uncomfortable feeling.

I train for 2 hours, roughly 1 hour of weights and 1 hour of cardio. Which is pretty taxing. I slam a little over 100g of dex/complex carb mix pwo, which I thought to me seemed like PLENTY of carbs. But maybe that much training needs even MORE carbs? Or the other end of the spectrum is I'm taking in too many carbs, and am subsequently crashing 2 hours later.

Thoughts?
Do you know that you're actually going hypo, and that it's not something else, like perhaps fatigue or a crash from stimulants, etc,?

It could be that you need to have your next meal ~2 hours after your post-training meal.

Or you could need MORE carbohydrates after your training - although 100g doesn't sound like much after an intense training session like that (you don't need to do one hour of cardio, either, by the way, unless you're really looking to improve your cardiorespiratory health or have another health reason for doing it).

Or you could be having too many sugars post-training and need to change to having more protein and complex carbohydrates.

The only way you're going to figure out what's going on is to experiment a little and try each of the suggestions above and see what happens. My best bet is that you really need to eat more often and not leave so long between meals. but that's just my thoughts.

~Rosie~

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
I really don't know if this would work or not, hopefully Easy or another experienced member could give their thoughts, but what if you took in those carbs pre-wo? I take in 30g LG Perfect Carb before workouts when I couldn't eat before hand, and I feel like I have better weight training experience. I was just thinking maybe that would blunt the effects of the hypoglycemia if you supplied enough carbs for your weight training, and then just let the cardio use up what's left. Maybe it'll "smooth things out", IDK...? Maybe something to try.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I really don't know if this would work or not, hopefully Easy or another experienced member could give their thoughts, but what if you took in those carbs pre-wo? I take in 30g LG Perfect Carb before workouts when I couldn't eat before hand, and I feel like I have better weight training experience. I was just thinking maybe that would blunt the effects of the hypoglycemia if you supplied enough carbs for your weight training, and then just let the cardio use up what's left. Maybe it'll "smooth things out", IDK...? Maybe something to try.
Eating pre-training is fine - it's not something I personally prefer to do, as my body works best training on an empty stomach. However, 100g of carbohydrates pre-training wouldn't be advisable - 30-50g 60-90 minutes prior perhaps, but not 100g.

Splitting the carbohydrates up 50g pre and 50g immediately post-training would be fine, but I would still recommend a meal ~30 minutes after the "immediately post-training" supplements/shake/food.

It really is up to the individual to find what works best for them.

~Rosie~

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I shouldn't have used the word hypo I guess. Low blood sugar is specifically what I meant. Just the fatigued feeling of it, I don't get like massive cravings/sweats/shaky hands. I Do eat carbs pre workout as well. A half cup of oats, I'm usually just starting to touch on a low blood sugar level by the end of my workout. And then like I said, I slam my complex carb/dex combo pwo. And then at some point in the next 3 hours before my next meal, or even in between the next 2 meals, I'll get low blood sugar again just slightly. It doesn't take much to fix it. Literally about a half of a granola bar, and problem solved....I guess, if you call it that. Solving it would be not having to fix it, lol.

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
Thanks a lot Rosie! It's always nice to hear from the more experienced! Oh and Makaveli, I'm like that in the morning when I wake up. If I don't eat something, I end up puking VIOLENTLY, and then I have to crawl to the kitchen to eat ANYTHING with sugar. And like you said, 1/2 a granola bar is enough to fix it! I sure would like to know what's going on with that, as I've never been told by any doctors I'm diabetic, and it ONLY happens when I wake up! Oh well. Sorry to hijack, and good luck to ya!

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I shouldn't have used the word hypo I guess. Low blood sugar is specifically what I meant. Just the fatigued feeling of it, I don't get like massive cravings/sweats/shaky hands. I Do eat carbs pre workout as well. A half cup of oats, I'm usually just starting to touch on a low blood sugar level by the end of my workout. And then like I said, I slam my complex carb/dex combo pwo. And then at some point in the next 3 hours before my next meal, or even in between the next 2 meals, I'll get low blood sugar again just slightly. It doesn't take much to fix it. Literally about a half of a granola bar, and problem solved....I guess, if you call it that. Solving it would be not having to fix it, lol.
Definitely a better term for it. If you eat pre-training as well, then I honestly think it's your body's way of telling you to have less time between meals.

Thanks a lot Rosie! It's always nice to hear from the more experienced! Oh and Makaveli, I'm like that in the morning when I wake up. If I don't eat something, I end up puking VIOLENTLY, and then I have to crawl to the kitchen to eat ANYTHING with sugar. And like you said, 1/2 a granola bar is enough to fix it! I sure would like to know what's going on with that, as I've never been told by any doctors I'm diabetic, and it ONLY happens when I wake up! Oh well. Sorry to hijack, and good luck to ya!
No worries :)

Could be that you have low blood sugar when you wake up - does not mean diabetic, but if you don't eat a lot of carbohydrates, especially in the afternoon/evening, then your blood glucose could definitely be low in the mornings, particularly if you get the general recommended ~8 hours sleep.

~Rosie~

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A blood glucose meter is pretty cheap to test it out

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
A blood glucose meter is pretty cheap to test it out

I bleed for no one.

So in other words, I'll check em out. can you get them OTC at wally world or walgreens?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I paid I think $45 for a meter with 100 test strips & lancets at Walmart

SolidusSnake

SolidusSnake

Awards
  • Established
I dont think it is carb crash.. especially since you have the complex carb in there.. I say you are just fatigued.. An hour of cardio is a lot.. You know you are going hypo when your vision starts to go out.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Maybe 50g of protein (whey) isn't enough after 2 hours in the gym. Could try upping it to 60. I'm all for adding another meal and then spacing them closer, that's a great idea. I'm a bit hesitant to wanna split up my pwo meal however, because obviously you lose out on that pwo window of opportunity. I'd like to be able to use as many of my cals as I can in that window, and then split up maybe the 2 meals AFTER that.

SolidusSnake

SolidusSnake

Awards
  • Established
Maybe 50g of protein (whey) isn't enough after 2 hours in the gym. Could try upping it to 60. I'm all for adding another meal and then spacing them closer, that's a great idea. I'm a bit hesitant to wanna split up my pwo meal however, because obviously you lose out on that pwo window of opportunity. I'd like to be able to use as many of my cals as I can in that window, and then split up maybe the 2 meals AFTER that.
Why not try some BCAA mix during your workout..

What I do is 70grams malto dextrin 30 mins pre workout
Then 10mins pre workout take a pre workout shake..
Then PWO I consume 70grams malto dextrin and 44g protein.
Then consume a full meal about an hour later..

Have no problems at all with lethargy..

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
i DO sip on BCAA's during my entire workout, LOL.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When I said, "I would still recommend a meal ~30 minutes after the "immediately post-training" supplements/shake/food" I meant have your 50-100g of carbohydrates and whatever else you have IMMEDIATELY post-training, and then have ANOTHER MEAL ~30 minutes (no later than ~60 minutes) after THAT, not to split your post-training nutrition up. I'd recommend that, and then have your meals post-training every TWO hours. However, you will do what you will do and I have offered my thoughts and recommendations. Do what;s best for YOU.

~Rosie~

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In some cases that's a sign of insulin resistance. I know because what you've described mirrors my own experiences.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Another possibility is that you are experiencing 'rebound' hypoglycemia. This can happens when you take in a meal with too high of glycemic load (ie lots of high GI carbs) and the body overcompensates with too much insulin.

Try ditching the dextrose PWO and instead, sip a carb drink throughout your workout (especially cardio) and/or substitute some more moderate GI carbs PWO and see if it remedies the problem.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I cut my cardio in half and only did a half an hour today and it made me feel IMMENSELY better. More recovered, an actual appetite this afternoon, no hot flashes, no cold hands/feet. This doesn't really have anything to do with this thread, but low blood sugar was just one of the MANY issues ive been dealing with the last week. But on that note i made my pwo meal a 50/50 dex/complex carb mix instead of 70 dex 30 complex and i didnt crash. so....thats good.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anabolics 46
BigGame84 Supplements 9
fireworkz788 Anabolics 6
Anabolics 10
Njs0416 Anabolics 18