Pre-Workout supplements effect on Blood Pressure?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Unhappy Pre-Workout supplements effect on Blood Pressure?

Lately my BP has been crazy. Im trying to cut out as much salt as possible. However im wondering what effect these pre workout sups are having on my BP. Anyone got any ideas.? Im 22 y/o work out 5 times a week play sports all the time. My HR is around 50 and my BP is around 160/90. Any input helps...

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  176 lbs.
    Answers

More than likely if you use a pre workout product with any sort of stimulant it will raise blood pressure (and you def dont need to raise your bp...) You may want to implement some hawthorne berry and fish oil into your diet. These may help to regulate bp.
  3. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'1"  121 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by tyty7777 View Post
    Lately my BP has been crazy. Im trying to cut out as much salt as possible. However im wondering what effect these pre workout sups are having on my BP. Anyone got any ideas.? Im 22 y/o work out 5 times a week play sports all the time. My HR is around 50 and my BP is around 160/90. Any input helps...
    If you're using a preworkout product that contains stimulants, then it might increase your blood pressure slightly. Not being hydrated enough and some foods may also do this. And exercising or any form of exertion will definitely do it.

If that's your RESTING blood pressure, then you have reason to be concerned, but that's your blood pressure at any time other than resting (like after you've been walking around, or exercising, eating, etc.), then it's not a true indicator of your blood pressure at all.

Depends on the individual with a few things as well, and could also be something hereditary.

~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Take your blood pressure first thing in the morning, before you even get out of bed. That is your resting heart rate. Chances are with your physical activity levels your resting heart rate is fine.

Every time I go to the doctor my blood pressure is a little high, but whenever I take it at home in a relaxed state it is fine and lower than average.
  5. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'1"  121 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hypo View Post
    Take your blood pressure first thing in the morning, before you even get out of bed. That is your resting heart rate. Chances are with your physical activity levels your resting heart rate is fine.

Every time I go to the doctor my blood pressure is a little high, but whenever I take it at home in a relaxed state it is fine and lower than average.
    I think you meant "that is your resting BLOOD PRESSURE". Taking heart rate first thing in the morning on waking is also the way to get one's TRUE resting heart rate, though.

You also get the "white coat syndrome" whenever measurements are taken with a doctor or for a fitness test simply because it is know it is going to be taken, so these measurements are rarely accurate.

~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Is this your blood pressure before taking any supps? You are right on the border of stage 2 hypertension, which at your age, is pretty abnormal. Have you consulted a physician on this? I would definitely talk to a doc before taking supps that may increase your BP and/or HR. The last thing you want is to stroke out while trying to hit a new PR.

I've heard hawthorne berry can help with BP but I have not seen any evidence that it would drop BP 40 mmhg, which is what you would need to get down to normal.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Answers

thats whats its been resting just chillin on the couch. im in paramedic school so ive had my bp taken a hundred times and it always above 140-145...
  8. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Chee Scott View Post
    I think you meant "that is your resting BLOOD PRESSURE". Taking heart rate first thing in the morning on waking is also the way to get one's TRUE resting heart rate, though.
    Oh geez, yes I meant resting BP . But yes, it's true of resting heart rate as well; a good way, in general, to gauge relative advances in cardiovascular health.

To the OP: seriously, you should take it in bed before you get out, just to check. It is good to cycle stims anyway. I'd suggest an equal amount of time off as on. 4 on/4 off is a good bet. Get that resting BP down, it's not something to play around with!
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

thats whats its been resting just chillin on the couch. im in paramedic school so ive had my bp taken a hundred times and it always above 140-145...
    That's not good man, that's hypertension. Especially since you are active and young. Does hypertension run in your family? I'd talk to your doctor before taking any stims. Hypertension is not something to mess around with. There are many detrimental effects high blood pressure has on your health/organs. I'd get that corrected ASAP.
  10. Registered User
    Answers

I never understood why so many people want to raise there bp by taking a pre workout supplement with tons of stimulants in it. Your BP is going to go up when you exercise, why would you want it to go up more. If you don't have enough energy to workout, you need a pre-workout supplement like you need a hole in the head. Just get more sleep!.
  11. BBB
    Stats
    5'8"  192 lbs.
    Answers

If you're resting BP is in the normal range the slight increase from pre-workout stims is not going to make much difference. You're BP always increases during heavy lifitng anyway. Otherwise, consider a good non-stim preworkout product like Ultima.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    I never understood why so many people want to raise there bp by taking a pre workout supplement with tons of stimulants in it. Your BP is going to go up when you exercise, why would you want it to go up more. If you don't have enough energy to workout, you need a pre-workout supplement like you need a hole in the head. Just get more sleep!.
    i love pre w/o. jack3d is the way to go. helps me keep the pace up. plus makes me feel all good and hyped up. especially with the cooler weather its easy to lose that hyperness. for me at least.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Try taking L-Arginine as a preworkout. My Dr put me on it to help my bp. Its a vasodilator. Also you might want to stay away from caffiene and chocolate as they are vasorestrictors and will raise bp.
  14. Registered User
    Answers

I can say with 100% certainty that it could very well be your preworkout supp....used to take no-xplode, having the same problem, went to the doctor, by bp was 154/105, almost stage 2 hypertension....went off no-xplode, came back in two weeks, was down to 128/78...and no, I didn't use the no-xplode right before going into the doctors office the first time...I think the stuff can kind of collect in your system.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    THANK YOU! all the stim junkies on this site cant even walk into a gym without being hopped up on all sorts of sh!t. your adrenal glands are fried, people! taking caffeine by the scoop will have very serious consequences that you will feel if you go a day without it.
    BJJ = life
  16. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    THANK YOU! all the stim junkies on this site cant even walk into a gym without being hopped up on all sorts of sh!t. your adrenal glands are fried, people! taking caffeine by the scoop will have very serious consequences that you will feel if you go a day without it.
    absolutely! I went stim free over 6 months ago. The first week I had some major head aches. But I feel so much better now. Caffeine is god awful on your body.

Stims are just a band aid fix for the real reason your ass is dragging.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Answers

Just a couple of tips, if you do in case got a little higher than normal blood pressure and are looking to tone it down a little:

Take Life Support, really helps.
    Lots of Fish Oil (Omega 3-6-9) through the day (I go for 6caps a day)
    Garlic pills
    Almonds / Walnuts / Pecans
    Switch the salt for no salt, the potassium will help too. Feel free to get some Potassium pills
    ZMA at night as the Zinc really helps.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. what's some good High Blood Pressure supplements?
    By bullet in forum Supplements
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-28-2008, 10:58 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-16-2006, 01:47 PM
  3. Superdrol + NON-Blood Pressure Supplements
    By rdj6107 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2006, 01:39 AM
  4. Blood pressure/Pulse pressure
    By BigVrunga in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2