Pre-Workout supplements effect on Blood Pressure?

tyty7777

Awards
Lately my BP has been crazy. Im trying to cut out as much salt as possible. However im wondering what effect these pre workout sups are having on my BP. Anyone got any ideas.? Im 22 y/o work out 5 times a week play sports all the time. My HR is around 50 and my BP is around 160/90. Any input helps...

Orangatang

Orangatang

Awards
  • Established
More than likely if you use a pre workout product with any sort of stimulant it will raise blood pressure (and you def dont need to raise your bp...) You may want to implement some hawthorne berry and fish oil into your diet. These may help to regulate bp.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lately my BP has been crazy. Im trying to cut out as much salt as possible. However im wondering what effect these pre workout sups are having on my BP. Anyone got any ideas.? Im 22 y/o work out 5 times a week play sports all the time. My HR is around 50 and my BP is around 160/90. Any input helps...
If you're using a preworkout product that contains stimulants, then it might increase your blood pressure slightly. Not being hydrated enough and some foods may also do this. And exercising or any form of exertion will definitely do it.

If that's your RESTING blood pressure, then you have reason to be concerned, but that's your blood pressure at any time other than resting (like after you've been walking around, or exercising, eating, etc.), then it's not a true indicator of your blood pressure at all.

Depends on the individual with a few things as well, and could also be something hereditary.

~Rosie~

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Take your blood pressure first thing in the morning, before you even get out of bed. That is your resting heart rate. Chances are with your physical activity levels your resting heart rate is fine.

Every time I go to the doctor my blood pressure is a little high, but whenever I take it at home in a relaxed state it is fine and lower than average.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Take your blood pressure first thing in the morning, before you even get out of bed. That is your resting heart rate. Chances are with your physical activity levels your resting heart rate is fine.

Every time I go to the doctor my blood pressure is a little high, but whenever I take it at home in a relaxed state it is fine and lower than average.
I think you meant "that is your resting BLOOD PRESSURE". Taking heart rate first thing in the morning on waking is also the way to get one's TRUE resting heart rate, though.

You also get the "white coat syndrome" whenever measurements are taken with a doctor or for a fitness test simply because it is know it is going to be taken, so these measurements are rarely accurate.

~Rosie~

spimp187

Awards
Is this your blood pressure before taking any supps? You are right on the border of stage 2 hypertension, which at your age, is pretty abnormal. Have you consulted a physician on this? I would definitely talk to a doc before taking supps that may increase your BP and/or HR. The last thing you want is to stroke out while trying to hit a new PR.

I've heard hawthorne berry can help with BP but I have not seen any evidence that it would drop BP 40 mmhg, which is what you would need to get down to normal.

tyty7777

Awards
thats whats its been resting just chillin on the couch. im in paramedic school so ive had my bp taken a hundred times and it always above 140-145...

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think you meant "that is your resting BLOOD PRESSURE". Taking heart rate first thing in the morning on waking is also the way to get one's TRUE resting heart rate, though.
Oh geez, yes I meant resting BP :). But yes, it's true of resting heart rate as well; a good way, in general, to gauge relative advances in cardiovascular health.

To the OP: seriously, you should take it in bed before you get out, just to check. It is good to cycle stims anyway. I'd suggest an equal amount of time off as on. 4 on/4 off is a good bet. Get that resting BP down, it's not something to play around with!

spimp187

Awards
thats whats its been resting just chillin on the couch. im in paramedic school so ive had my bp taken a hundred times and it always above 140-145...
That's not good man, that's hypertension. Especially since you are active and young. Does hypertension run in your family? I'd talk to your doctor before taking any stims. Hypertension is not something to mess around with. There are many detrimental effects high blood pressure has on your health/organs. I'd get that corrected ASAP.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I never understood why so many people want to raise there bp by taking a pre workout supplement with tons of stimulants in it. Your BP is going to go up when you exercise, why would you want it to go up more. If you don't have enough energy to workout, you need a pre-workout supplement like you need a hole in the head. Just get more sleep!.

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
If you're resting BP is in the normal range the slight increase from pre-workout stims is not going to make much difference. You're BP always increases during heavy lifitng anyway. Otherwise, consider a good non-stim preworkout product like Ultima.

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
I never understood why so many people want to raise there bp by taking a pre workout supplement with tons of stimulants in it. Your BP is going to go up when you exercise, why would you want it to go up more. If you don't have enough energy to workout, you need a pre-workout supplement like you need a hole in the head. Just get more sleep!.
i love pre w/o. jack3d is the way to go. helps me keep the pace up. plus makes me feel all good and hyped up. especially with the cooler weather its easy to lose that hyperness. for me at least.

biggfoot70

Awards
Try taking L-Arginine as a preworkout. My Dr put me on it to help my bp. Its a vasodilator. Also you might want to stay away from caffiene and chocolate as they are vasorestrictors and will raise bp.

codered5

Awards
I can say with 100% certainty that it could very well be your preworkout supp....used to take no-xplode, having the same problem, went to the doctor, by bp was 154/105, almost stage 2 hypertension....went off no-xplode, came back in two weeks, was down to 128/78...and no, I didn't use the no-xplode right before going into the doctors office the first time...I think the stuff can kind of collect in your system.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
THANK YOU! all the stim junkies on this site cant even walk into a gym without being hopped up on all sorts of sh!t. your adrenal glands are fried, people! taking caffeine by the scoop will have very serious consequences that you will feel if you go a day without it.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
THANK YOU! all the stim junkies on this site cant even walk into a gym without being hopped up on all sorts of sh!t. your adrenal glands are fried, people! taking caffeine by the scoop will have very serious consequences that you will feel if you go a day without it.
absolutely! I went stim free over 6 months ago. The first week I had some major head aches. But I feel so much better now. Caffeine is god awful on your body.

Stims are just a band aid fix for the real reason your ass is dragging.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Just a couple of tips, if you do in case got a little higher than normal blood pressure and are looking to tone it down a little:

Take Life Support, really helps.
Lots of Fish Oil (Omega 3-6-9) through the day (I go for 6caps a day)
Garlic pills
Almonds / Walnuts / Pecans
Switch the salt for no salt, the potassium will help too. Feel free to get some Potassium pills
ZMA at night as the Zinc really helps.