I have great news... I just lowered my Cholesterol (and, MY TEST!?)

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
I have been on Krill Oil for a month @ 1.2g/day, and will be cutting back to 600mg/day next week (it is part of a blend in a comprehensive Cholesterol Health product from a company that often shows up in the Google Ads here).

After consulting with a friend who is an expert on the subject, he expressed some misgivings about the fact I lowered my cholesterol so quickly, and explained in short that TOO LOW of cholesterol has been associated with detrimental effects, much like having it too high (I was coming off a Superdrol + Test-E and Trenbolone cycle).

My questions are...
1) What cholesterol level do I need to maintain my Testosterone levels within the mean acceptable range that with both ensure health AND maintain a heightened natural Testosterone serum level?

2) What means can I use to monitor or at least estimate that I am keeping my cholesterol at that magic healthy level that will encourage T synthesis/circulation, BUT NOT be too low or high - without seeing a doctor monthly? (Look for symptoms of too high or low, inexpensive self testing methods, keeping Krill Oil at a certain dosage, etc?)

In my hasty attempts to lower the elevated cholesterol, I lost focus on the big picture. Thanks for any help, and as an aside... what ARE those risks I run when having too LOW of cholesterol?

-Out :)

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is a new and interesting development (congrats on the lowered Cholesterol, BTW).

First question, when was your baseline test checked? Second, what kind of Dietary Cholesterol and saturated fat are you taking in?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Third question - what is your selenium intake?

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
This is a new and interesting development (congrats on the lowered Cholesterol, BTW).

First question, when was your baseline test checked? Second, what kind of Dietary Cholesterol and saturated fat are you taking in?
My baseline, sadly, was never checked (recently). I apologize for any misleading message within the post subject-heading, I was just trying to make a pun, related to the correlated lowering of Cholesterol and Testosterone since T is largely reliant and dependent upon its presence for proper synthesis. I was trying to reach some sort of equilibrium between cholesterol health, and still ensuring optimal T levels by not completely eradicating its circulation/levels (much like total termination of any vilified hormone such as Estrogen or Cortisol can wreak negative side effects).

My serum T was checked with a full blood panel 5 weeks after the final dosage of my Test-E, Tren-A, Superdrol, and M1T cycle, and was ~250 at that point intra-PCT.

Dietary Fat Intake: 12g daily of Omega-3 Fish Oil, along with a total of 4 Egg Yolks. I have not had red meat or salmon in months, only because of cost effectiveness. I am of course open to ALL direction regarding optimal fat intake.

Third question - what is your selenium intake?
225mcg between Need 2 Guard and my daily multi-vitamin.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
subbed for anything dsade has to say on the subject!!!

WetWorks

Awards
cholesterol isn't bad for you! its peoples diets that are bad. your liver produces cholesterol and will make up for what ever your not consuming in your diet.

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
You will not lower cholesterol too much using OTC supplements like you mentioned, so I wouldn't be concerned. Like mentioned, your body is very efficient at producing cholesterol even when your dietary intake is low. You can synthesize cholesterol from stored fat, so you typically only see issues in pple with extremely low body fat coupled with malnutrition, aside from some underlying condition

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
cholesterol isn't bad for you! its peoples diets that are bad. your liver produces cholesterol and will make up for what ever your not consuming in your diet.
You will not lower cholesterol too much using OTC supplements like you mentioned, so I wouldn't be concerned. Like mentioned, your body is very efficient at producing cholesterol even when your dietary intake is low. You can synthesize cholesterol from stored fat, so you typically only see issues in pple with extremely low body fat coupled with malnutrition, aside from some underlying condition
Thanks a lot... I suppose I should be blamed and scolded for taking advice from the same doctor that treated me like a cocaine addict on death's doorstep deserving of imprisonment when I told him of my past OTC pro-hormone usage! GASP!!!

He started scribbling in his little pad frantically... it was so cute. Oh doctors, you cute little morons you!

Thanks so much everyone! I was concerned after my correspondent in the industry explained how Krill Oil alone can crippled Cholesterol levels to near zero, which can also cause ill effects as if it were too high. I have been on Krill Oil, plus an assortment of other supplements that are cholesterol regulators so I was unsure.

Again - I should have followed my voice of reason and common sense in this circumstance.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
BUMP :)

- Can Cholesterol be lowered TOO much
- Can it be lowered TOO much via OTC supplementation (Krill Oil, Garlic, Red Yeast Rice, etc)
- Can Cholesterol's severe lowering reap a descent in serum Testosterone levels since less is available for conversion/synthesis?
- Are any other note worthy side effects associated with having Cholesterol TOO low?

WetWorks

Awards
BUMP :)

- Can Cholesterol be lowered TOO much
- Can it be lowered TOO much via OTC supplementation (Krill Oil, Garlic, Red Yeast Rice, etc)
- Can Cholesterol's severe lowering reap a descent in serum Testosterone levels since less is available for conversion/synthesis?
- Are any other note worthy side effects associated with having Cholesterol TOO low?
the lower your cholesterol the lower your hormones. if you have genetic issues with clogged arteries, that is caused by a protein and not cholesterol. just stay on top of your EFA and your arteries will not harden.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
the lower your cholesterol the lower your hormones. if you have genetic issues with clogged arteries, that is caused by a protein and not cholesterol. just stay on top of your EFA and your arteries will not harden.
Thank you. I only began anti-cholesterol supplementation around November 22nd, because of the scare tactics employed by my doctor - I should have known better, and now looking back I shake my head in disappointment that I didn't simply follow along the yellow brick road of logic when it comes to laughing off doctor's advices following an anabolic cycle.

I have NO cholesterol or any other issues of any sort... this temporary rise and flux was only due to a cycle this past Summer.

- Can Krill Oil cause a lowering effect in cholesterol that will cause unwanted effects such as lower hormone production (can Fish Oil cause this as well as high dosages)? I want to be healthy and take advantage of Krill Oil's effects, but have heard anything over 600mg/day can cause a crippling effect in cholesterol.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
fish oil or Hemp oil would be preferred IMHO
I've been on Fish Oil for years, as any athlete should be. But as far as Krill Oil, it is vastly superior, so I'm asking about it's possible benefits and detriments.

- Can Krill Oil cause a lowering effect in cholesterol that will cause unwanted effects such as lower hormone production (can Fish Oil cause this as well as high dosages)? I want to be healthy and take advantage of Krill Oil's effects, but have heard anything over 600mg/day can cause a crippling effect in cholesterol.

WetWorks

Awards
Hemp oil is vastly superior. from what I've read about krill oil I'm not that impressed.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Hemp oil is vastly superior. from what I've read about krill oil I'm not that impressed.
I demand satisfaction!!! Haha, well, I'd do with just some surface level explanation supporting your argument. As I have always preached and abide by daily, I am more than happy and in constant search of being educated and swayed into the direction of enlightenment. I have actually been vastly impressed by all things regarding Krill, so please... continue.

WetWorks

Awards
Hemp has a perfect balance of EFA's 3,6, and 9. Krill oil and fish oil only have omega 3's.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Hemp has a perfect balance of EFA's 3,6, and 9. Krill oil and fish oil only have omega 3's.
Maybe I should have been more specific... I don't just take Fish Oil, as I too believe it is too limited to just one fatty acid. I take another type of Omega blend from Sam's Club that contains everything from Flaxseed, Borage, Currant, Evening Primrose etc...

So I believe pairing that comprehensive blend WITH the ultra-concentrated Krill Oil product will offer huge anti-oxidant capacities, as well as immuno-protective qualities and of course the cholesterol friendly astaxanthines. Besides, doesn't Krill Oil already have Omega 3, 6, and 9 anyway?

WetWorks

Awards
It is generally considered that DHA is more important to your health than EPA, though EPA is certainly important as well. Around 50 percent of the make-up of your brain is DHA, and adding DHA and EPA to your diet promotes a range of health benefits including benefits to your mental function as well as reducing the risk of death from heart disease, helping your cholesterol levels and helping you reduce weight, and much more.

When you’re buying omega 3 oil supplements you are primarily buying DHA. So one of the most important parts of comparing the different oil capsules is to assess the cost of the DHA that you’re buying. This is simply a matter of making a mathematical calculation of the amount of DHA in each capsule as a proportion of the price.

If you make a comparison of Krill oil compared to fish oil capsules you’ll find that the DHA that you’re buying in Krill oil softgels is significantly more expensive than the DHA you are buying in fish oil supplements. In fact it is over 5 times more expensive to buy DHA in Krill oil form that it is as fish oil.

Krill oil is very low in DHA, the most important of the Omega 3 fats.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
NO WAY... a website/author entitled Healthy Omega 3 Fish Oil says that Krill Oil isn't as good!? ;) There isn't any bias here, is there?

Haha - I appreciate the link, but man, the arguments in the article were flimsy at best.

Shouldn't we be comparing Krill to Hemp though, since I'm not taking solely Fish Oil as I said above, and your vote goes toward Hemp?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sorry this isn't really answering your question, but I felt like adding on to what your friend said about cholesterol. It's important to know that beyond the very important roles cholesterol plays in our bodies as a carrier molecule/transporter and as a modulator of membrane elasticity/fluidity, cholesterol also serves as a substrate for the chemical synthesis of various important molecules, such as Vitamin D and various steroid hormones, including test. So clearly having low cholesterol levels will lead to decreased test levels.

The important indicators to watch for, regarding cholesterol, are high LDL levels (along with VLDL) and a high LDL/HDL ratio. Risky scores on these should be listed on your test results. Current science suggests that high HDL levels are fine as HDL helps to shuttle LDL out of plaque deposits. Plus as mentioned earlier it's an important nutrient. I'm sure an HDL score that is dangerously high will be pointed out by your doctor, and will be similar to the feeling of eating a 5 Guys burger with a large fry (I'm very sorry for you if you don't know what I'm talking about).

A great way to bring your HDL up is to simply eat eggs. Now what I'm about to say is not science but my own experience with my own body, but back while I was eating about 8 eggs a day and working out, I saw my LDL drop below 100 and my HDL go up, so if you have a fairly rigorous strength training program and can incorporate eggs into your diet, I would do so.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Evidently I did not know you are a veteran with bb and related areas, but again the above is just a general informational post related to the subject I felt like sharing

EDIT: Thanks bro!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
interesting thread. as someone on trt i always have to be wary of cholesterol levels. i have heard of guys getting dropped from trt for cho levels being high-seriously do not want that!!!!!

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Evidently I did not know you are a veteran with bb and related areas, but again the above is just a general informational post related to the subject I felt like sharing

EDIT: Thanks bro!
No way, I'm ALWAYS open to and in constant search of enlightenment - no matter how many years I've been lifting and researching, I'll never know everything. Thanks for sharing.