Flank weight

jlip

Awards
I'm a skinny guy and always have been. I'm almost 6'3", 185ish and have around 8% body fat. However, I would bet that like 80% of that fat is in my flanks/lower back. I have, for the most part, pretty defined abs and muscles. But I can't seem to lose this weight. I eat pretty healthy for the most part, with 96/4 ground beef and chicken comprising most of my diet. When I'm training, I generally gain muscle relatively well when I keep protein over 200g/day. I'm still the kind of guy who will LOSE weight much more readily than gain it, which is why this lingering midsection fat is particularly annoying. Any suggestions on how to tackle it?

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
do you eat grains (pasta, bread, etc)? drink milk or sugar?

jlip

Awards
Yes to both. I generally have a multigrain bread that I accompany with some of the steaks and burgers that I make on a regular basis. I also eat oatmeal preworkout. Those are my two main sources of carbs. Also bananas and blueberries. I also go through about half a gallon of milk a week.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Yes to both. I generally have a multigrain bread that I accompany with some of the steaks and burgers that I make on a regular basis. I also eat oatmeal preworkout. Those are my two main sources of carbs. Also bananas and blueberries. I also go through about half a gallon of milk a week.
yeahhh thats why the excess weight wont go. grains are highly glycemic and lead to spikes in blood sugar, insulin. there are also anti-nutrients like gluten in grains which cause inflammation and will also slow down your fat loss. you need to eliminate all grains, replace them with vegetables and some fruit. post workout you can eat a little bit of red potatoes to replenish glycogen.

milk is another big one. its highly estrogenic and contains lactose which most people dont digest properly. this also causes inflammation.

i can go more in depth into what you gotta do if you are willing to ditch all grains/milk/sugars

Topher

Awards
Damn i've been eating alot of pasta in the past 2weeks and can tell a diff in my flank area and was wondering if thats what was causing it!!!!!Thanks bro

Topher

Awards
Well dont know. I didnt notice a diff till I started throwing in some noodles into meal 3 and 4. 5 on occasion.?? Oatmeal hasnt bothered me thats always pre wo. The spagetti noodles was my only change besides 1 or 2 red meat meals aday.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Really? Even oatmeal? Are you a paleo advocate?
yeah i am. oatmeal is highly glycemic and highly acidic. it also lacks any type of vitamins or minerals so its useless to me.

freefall365

freefall365

Awards
  • Established
dont u do any carbs in a pre workout meal for energy?

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
dont u do any carbs in a pre workout meal for energy?
thats not needed. i mean a piece of fruit a couple hours before training will keep me feeling full but the energy does not come from carbs. I maintain good muscle glycogen throughout the day by consuming fruit and vegetables but there is no need to specifically eat carbs before a workout.

jlip

Awards
I started the Paleo diet a few weeks ago and I've found it amazingly refreshing. i love it. It's a little tough at first, but it's funny how easy it is after a couple of weeks. Robb Wolfe's The Paleo Solution really inspired me.

@Anton, what kind of food do you consume around (before and after, along with amount of time before and after) your workout?

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
thats not needed. i mean a piece of fruit a couple hours before training will keep me feeling full but the energy does not come from carbs. I maintain good muscle glycogen throughout the day by consuming fruit and vegetables but there is no need to specifically eat carbs before a workout.
I'm the same when I'm stripping but right now I'm the total opposite, eating everything in sight to pack on some more size :mischievous:

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Have you thought of using topical such as Eviscerate?

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I'm the same when I'm stripping but right now I'm the total opposite, eating everything in sight to pack on some more size :mischievous:
LMAO dude you strip? hey gotta make money somehow

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I started the Paleo diet a few weeks ago and I've found it amazingly refreshing. i love it. It's a little tough at first, but it's funny how easy it is after a couple of weeks. Robb Wolfe's The Paleo Solution really inspired me.

@Anton, what kind of food do you consume around (before and after, along with amount of time before and after) your workout?
Awesome to hear brother! Paleo is the only way to go IMO.

I keep it simple. About 2 - 2.5 hrs before I eat some salmon or something else fatty and a banana. during workout ill drink a shake and post workout ill drink another one. also post workout ill eat another banana or 2. couple hours after workout ill eat about a pound of steak and vegetables, sometimes ill mash red potatoes and eat that with the steak if im feeling my glycogen being low. this works for me.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
yea right bro! i saw you in another thread complaining to the girls that all your thongs are out of style!
:toofunny: yeah I didn't realize that polka dots went out in the 80s! LOL

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
milk is another big one. its highly estrogenic and contains lactose which most people dont digest properly. this also causes inflammation.

i can go more in depth into what you gotta do if you are willing to ditch all grains/milk/sugars
what about lactose reduced milk like hood calorie countdown? not talking about lactad, but the 3g carbs for 8oz glass milk.

And fructose is a sugar ;)

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
what about lactose reduced milk like hood calorie countdown? not talking about lactad, but the 3g carbs for 8oz glass milk.

And fructose is a sugar ;)
artificial sugars are no good :) ill take the fructose from fruit since fruit is so nutritious, glycemic load is also pretty low because of the fiber content in fruit. much less of a blood sugar spike.

milk is just awful on so many levels, IMO.

read what i found here:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/166383-milk.html

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
nah I use crappy flavored stuff that doesn't even have real dairy in it. I probably should do something different.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
yeah man look into heavy whipping cream, lots of paleo people are in love with the stuff

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I used it before when I still believed in the keto hype. Maybe I'll start doing that with hazelnut extract for the taste

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm having a hard time getting in enough calories when I eat out of the house avoiding grains and dairy. Outside of that, on day 2 and its not bad.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I'm having a hard time getting in enough calories when I eat out of the house avoiding grains and dairy. Outside of that, on day 2 and its not bad.
hardboiled eggs, avocado, olive oil, canned salmon. anything fatty will do the trick for calories.

are you doing full paleo? how bout potatoes?

everyone crashes pretty hard from less carbs but after a week or so you start feeling soooooo much better. blood sugar doesnt go up and down so you have more sustained energy. i actually just read that steady blood sugar leads to higher GH release!! another win.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
eh i've just dropped grains + dairy, I honestly don't believe in the stated rationale behind paleo. I am eating potatos, just going out to eat at a restaurant its hard to get in the calories. Eating at home its easy :)

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
eh i've just dropped grains + dairy, I honestly don't believe in the stated rationale behind paleo. I am eating potatos, just going out to eat at a restaurant its hard to get in the calories. Eating at home its easy :)
well yeah you are basically doing paleo, we all eat potatoes too. postworkout only because of GI but they got no gluten or anything else. good for you man, you'll really feel the difference soon. no seasonal allergies, faster recovery, better sleep, no colds, no heartburn, etc.

jlip

Awards
It's funny that you mention no colds, because since I've been doing Paleo, I HAVEN'T Gotten sick once. Including after taking care of a friend who had a 102 degree fever in an enclosed space for a couple of days.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
yeah people attribute it to a lower level of inflammation because your body doesnt have to deal with anti-nutrients in grains, etc.

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
Very interesting thread. I'm going to have to dig into some Paleo information. Also check your pm's Anton.