Simple vs Complex and timing

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
Can I have a little clarification on simple carbs and complex carbs and the best time to eat them? I believe its simple during the day, and complex at night.

I workout at 6.30 pm, so post w/o should I be eating simple or complex?

Thanks.

Exercise123

Awards
When you ingest simple carbohydrates: example: 30g carbohydrates x 4 kcal/g = 120 calories, ask yourself are you going to burn 120 calories in the next 30-60 mins? Calories are energy and if they're not utilized they will be stored for survival/future energy. That is just a basic concept. There are of course other factors such as fats and protein which can slow down digestion to an extent, but the said concept is still relative. Simple carbohydrates and many of them, whichever combination that results in high elevated insulin levels can suppress growth hormone release. Alternatively, lower "glycemic", complex carbohydrates keep insulin levels lower. Again it depends on what simple carbs you’re referring to. Grapes could be considered simple carbohydrates especially at high volume, but I wouldn't worry about that situation with GH, insulin, etc... Nor with any natural food. A bad scenario would be a dose of soda or a piece of cake, etc. Take it all in perspective. In the past, I've had cake for breakfast and not because I will have the rest of the day to burn the simple carbohydrates but because cake tastes good :).

When to eat simple or complex carbohydrates? It is up to you; you can follow the preceding advice or not. Even if you follow the advice, surely a time will come when you get bored of all complex carbohydrates and will have to eat simple carbohydrates to stay sane. (By the way I'm not recommending you go out and by pinto beans (complex) for the next month.)

At 6:30pm, sure you could have simple carbohydrates. Do you do the simple carbohydrates and protein and/or bcaa, and/or whatever? Yea you could throw down a ****tail. I recommend 30g simple carbohydrates in such a mix and always 30g. I've read 30g of simple carbohydrates gives an equal insulin response to 30g+ simple carbohydrates. I haven't been able to confirm, but I follow this theory.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Can I have a little clarification on simple carbs and complex carbs and the best time to eat them? I believe its simple during the day, and complex at night.

I workout at 6.30 pm, so post w/o should I be eating simple or complex?

Thanks.
Simple carbohydrates are fast absorbing. Complex carbohydrates release over time.

Contrary to what Exercise123 mentioned, you do NOT use the calories that you have just consumed, as digestion can take anywhere from 30 minutes to four hours. WHEN you have your simple and complex carbohydrates is entirely up to YOU.

As far as post-training, you want simple sugars to rapidly replenish your muscle glycogen stores and help with recovery, but you also want complex carbohydrates a little later to aid in that recovery. Then again, some do not recommend carbohydrates post-training, so again, what you consume and when you consume it re macronutrients is a PERSONAL PREFERENCE DECISION.

~Rosie~

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
Guess I'll take my meals and rotate them around and figure out what my body responds to best. Thanks for the info.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Guess I'll take my meals and rotate them around and figure out what my body responds to best. Thanks for the info.
No worries :)

~Rosie~