Getting enough fat to maintain testosterone levels..

pittguy578

Awards
I am a hard gainer. It may be due to the fact I do not take in a lot of "fat" calories which may decrease my testosterone levels. I am trying to increase the fat in my diet, but I want to make sure the kind of fat I am taking in will actually increase my testosterone levels. Is taking in fats from things like peanut butter going to do anything or do I need cholesterol i.e. red meats?
What is the best and easiest source of "good" fat?

WetWorks

Awards
you do need cholesterol to stimulate Test production and you also need your EFA's. fat isn't bad for you like it has been preached. are you consuming 330g protein everyday?

pittguy578

Awards
I am not trying to "bulk" up. Just trying to gain muscle mass..maybe 5-10 LBS.
I am a 32 year old male.. I probably take in around 1 gram of protein per body weight which is around 165.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
whole eggs, salmon, fish oil, organic butter, uncured bacon, steak

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am a hard gainer. It may be due to the fact I do not take in a lot of "fat" calories which may decrease my testosterone levels. I am trying to increase the fat in my diet, but I want to make sure the kind of fat I am taking in will actually increase my testosterone levels. Is taking in fats from things like peanut butter going to do anything or do I need cholesterol i.e. red meats?
What is the best and easiest source of "good" fat?
You need ALL kinds of fat to some degree in your diet.

The easiest way to get good fats is though oils (i.e. flaxseed, hempseed, olive, etc.), supplementation (i.e. CLA, fish, etc.), or food (i.e. meat, fish, nuts, etc.).

~Rosie~

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
I doubt your issue is related to fat intake. The body is pretty efficient at producing cholesterol without excessive intake of fats or dietary cholesterol.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I doubt your issue is related to fat intake. The body is pretty efficient at producing cholesterol without excessive intake of fats or dietary cholesterol.
yea but it is designed to consume lots of fat. our ancestors would kill an animal and eat it whole with all the fat that comes with it. today we eat so many lean cuts of meat it only makes sense to add additional fat to the diet.

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
yea but it is designed to consume lots of fat. our ancestors would kill an animal and eat it whole with all the fat that comes with it. today we eat so many lean cuts of meat it only makes sense to add additional fat to the diet.
I understand what your getting at, but I wouldn't exactly call it a good comparison. Our ancestors ate like that because they didn't know when there next meal would come. Fats are our bodies stored form of energy, so in times of possible starvation, a high fat diet would be beneficial.

There is some research showing the benefits of high fat vegan diets, but the fat source is from plants only.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
your body actually prefers fats as a source of energy for any activity up to 90% intensity. so a person who just goes through daily life and lifts 3 days a week barely depletes their glycogen stores. they still need some post workout carbs to replenish whatever glycogen they used but not much. the point is, a high fat low carb diet is keeps insulin and blood sugar at a good level and maintains the best body composition. im sure ill get responses from "oats and pasta everyday" people but this has been working very well for me and tons of other people (see Paleo diet). my energy expenditure is even greater than a guy that goes to the gym because i train mma 5 days a week on top of some lifting, fruit/veg and some red potatoes are the only carbs i really consume.

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
Not sure where you got the 90% info, but I study exercise bioenergetics and will tell you right now thats wrong. For even a well trained individual, at about 60% of a persons vo2 max they begin burning a higher percent of carbs to fat. At 90% your burning minimal fat, and I gurentee your impairing your mma training by following a high fat low carb diet. Not familiar with the paleo diet, but I bet there is little or no research supporting it's use in athletes.

I Have a classmate who also swears by his high fat diet, and while the body is extremely adaptable... There is overwhelming evidence of it's negative effects on endurance exercise

SolidusSnake

SolidusSnake

Awards
  • Established
your body actually prefers fats as a source of energy for any activity up to 90% intensity. so a person who just goes through daily life and lifts 3 days a week barely depletes their glycogen stores. they still need some post workout carbs to replenish whatever glycogen they used but not much. the point is, a high fat low carb diet is keeps insulin and blood sugar at a good level and maintains the best body composition. im sure ill get responses from "oats and pasta everyday" people but this has been working very well for me and tons of other people (see Paleo diet). my energy expenditure is even greater than a guy that goes to the gym because i train mma 5 days a week on top of some lifting, fruit/veg and some red potatoes are the only carbs i really consume.
This guy is right^^^

The body does not take fat and decide to store it as fat.. It is ilogical to think that way..

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
This guy is right^^^

The body does not take fat and decide to store it as fat.. It is ilogical to think that way..

Lol nobody said that. But fatty acid oxidation is slow and oxygen dependent, and definitely NOT the bodies ideal substrate during exercise. If I wasn't on my iPhone I'd blast this page with research studies.

SolidusSnake

SolidusSnake

Awards
  • Established
Lol nobody said that. But fatty acid oxidation is slow and oxygen dependent, and definitely NOT the bodies ideal substrate during exercise. If I wasn't on my iPhone I'd blast this page with research studies.
ok lol, thats what your saying.. No I get you

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
hey whatever works for you, im at my strongest leanest and meanest and hardly ever get tired in practice. Fat FTW