Vitamins Every-Freaking-Where

ccnAbolic

ccnAbolic

Awards
  • Established
I am concerned and looking for feedback about vitamins being in everything. I already take a multi (OT) and noticed a lot of protein blends, bars, cereals, etc. have a buttload of vitamins too. In many cases the manufacturer has a complete line of protein, bars, multis, etc., so I don't understand why the hell they would do that. Protein blends seem to be the biggest culprits. So my questions/comments:

1. Is there even a need for a multi when you end up with so many added vitamins from other food and supplements.

2. How harmful could it be to, for example, take the multi, then drink 2 vitamin enhanced shakes, a vitamin enhanced bar or two, and then vitamins from regular food, with naturally occuring as well as added vitamins?

3. Any company reps who sell such products, please feel free to weigh in and offer why your company does/does not add vitamins to protein supplements.

4. Finally, if anyone has recommendations for bars and protein blends that do not add vitamins, I would appreciate it.

Just trying to satisfy my curiosity and not end up overdosing on vitamins...

ModernLats

Awards
1. Is there even a need for a multi when you end up with so many added vitamins from other food and supplements.

No need to take any vitamin supplements, all of it is junk in my opinion just eat veggies.

2. How harmful could it be to, for example, take the multi, then drink 2 vitamin enhanced shakes, a vitamin enhanced bar or two, and then vitamins from regular food, with naturally occuring as well as added vitamins?

Read up on overdosing vitamins, its toxic for some. Stick to a shake and whole foods for better long term health.

3. Any company reps who sell such products, please feel free to weigh in and offer why your company does/does not add vitamins to protein supplements.

To get you to buy them silly rabbit, most of that crap is fillers and just on there because other companies do it.

4. Finally, if anyone has recommendations for bars and protein blends that do not add vitamins, I would appreciate it.

I drink muscle and monster milk only and eat whole foods.

:usa:

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
ALL nutrients are best consumed from whole foods. Period.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Very little concern for "toxicity" from too many vitamins except for iron. Iron toxicosis is one of the most common supplement induced issues, particularly in children and men. I avoid any multi with iron.

Outside of that, the RDA's for most vitamins are set low enough so that you can exceed them ten fold without encountering problems. Vitamins in whole foods tend to be in low concentrations and their absorption is slowed by the fiber content so it's pretty much unheard of to overdose even when taking a multivitamin and getting additional vitamins in other supplements and shakes.

ccnAbolic

ccnAbolic

Awards
  • Established
Very little concern for "toxicity" from too many vitamins except for iron. Iron toxicosis is one of the most common supplement induced issues, particularly in children and men. I avoid any multi with iron.

Outside of that, the RDA's for most vitamins are set low enough so that you can exceed them ten fold without encountering problems. Vitamins in whole foods tend to be in low concentrations and their absorption is slowed by the fiber content so it's pretty much unheard of to overdose even when taking a multivitamin and getting additional vitamins in other supplements and shakes.
Do you think the same holds true for the fat soluble ones, especially E? Seems like the recent trend is to add extra E to everything.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
The actual potential for overdosing on fat solubles is very very low. A good reference is the Merck manual, which despite being a pharmacutical reference has some fairly detailed case studies of actual Vitamin A, E et toxicity. To actually achieve vitamin A toxicity for example, you'd have to ingest hundreds of thousands of IU's per day which seldom ever happens unless you eat seal liver all the time or take an entire bottle per day.

Excess vitamin E is bad for other reasons not relating to toxicity as it can negatively influence a variety of metabolic pathways when overly abundant...but you'd have a hard time killing yourself with it on purpose.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
To actually achieve vitamin A toxicity for example, you'd have to ingest hundreds of thousands of IU's per day which seldom ever happens unless you eat seal liver all the time or take an entire bottle per day.
Or the deadliest food known to man, polar bear liver. :food: