Water intake and sodium.

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
So, with this colder weather, Im having a very difficult time drinking 3 liters of water in a day. To be honest, I probably get 1 liter down now, including what I drink at the gym.

Would it be ok to increase sodium intake to get more water down? Aside from the obvious negatives of eating too much salt, can I just start adding a little more salt to meals to help me get my water intake up?

Also.. instead of starting another post.. I've always wondered. If your goal is 3 liters of water per day, can you include the water you drink at the gym during workout as well? Or does that just offset the water lost through sweat.

Thanks!!

midlandindian

Awards
I'm not sure what most people think about the water question, but I count the water that I drink at the gym. As for the salt, it should be ok to increase intake some. Normally, sodium intake doesn't become an issue until you get to extreme over consumption (ie 2x the recommended intake). Also, you may want to try drinking water closer to room temperature. I think it's a lot easier to drink than cold water. I feel ya on how it's hard to drink a lot when it's super cold.

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
Thats a good point, Ill try the room temp water and see if that helps.

jumper75

Awards
I count the water I drink at the gym... it can be close to a gallon sometimes on big workout days so that's a big impact to my daily intake total.

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
This is good news to hear. I got more water down today, still not 3 liters though. I'll get there.