question on low carbs

rojasdave

rojasdave

Awards
currently my workout plan consists of a week of heavy weights/low rep exercises and the following week low weights/high rep exercises. currently im planning on gaining lean muscle mass while burning body fat. im 6'0, 220 pounds and 21 years old. stubborn fat tissue around abdominal area and love handles so im going to a low carb plan. how many grams of carbs do you recommend a day based on what im doing and my frame? anyone have a sample plan? thank you

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The real answer is that it hardly matters how much you take in of carbs. Gaining lean mass while losing fat is difficult and always slower than doing them separately.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Easy gives you some solid advice here.

The other thing is every single person is different. My body doesn't like carbs too much and I spill over into fat easier than a lot of the guys I know. If you're really concerned about it, I'd focus more on a cut and you may want to consider a CKD (keto diet) if you're that concerned about the carbs.

Lift hard, keep the intensity up, and add in cardio. As long as you're keeping your cals under maintenance, it'll fall into place.

rojasdave

rojasdave

Awards
i think i messed up just now. i havent eaten since 4 due to homework and such and i really didnt eat alot previously so i just ate a hotdog and 11 dorito chips. gah :/

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Carbohydrates will aid in fatty acid oxidation. People get caught up in the semantics of metabolism and fail to realize that it boils down to kcals in Vs kcals out.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i think i messed up just now. i havent eaten since 4 due to homework and such and i really didnt eat alot previously so i just ate a hotdog and 11 dorito chips. gah :/
You can't stress over little things like that. Just buckle down and move on, now.

ps nice avatar

rojasdave

rojasdave

Awards
You can't stress over little things like that. Just buckle down and move on, now.

ps nice avatar
i figured it wasnt too big of a deal. at least i got some cravings out of the way. so i decided i want to bulk up for the remaining of the winter until feb, then start cutting for spring/summer. high calories here i come!

hahaha thankaa dude. I KNOW 3 WORDS..ball, good..

and..RAPE!

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
i figured it wasnt too big of a deal. at least i got some cravings out of the way. so i decided i want to bulk up for the remaining of the winter until feb, then start cutting for spring/summer. high calories here i come!

hahaha thankaa dude. I KNOW 3 WORDS..ball, good..

and..RAPE!
o.0

bassgod272

Awards
  • Established
currently my workout plan consists of a week of heavy weights/low rep exercises and the following week low weights/high rep exercises. currently im planning on gaining lean muscle mass while burning body fat. im 6'0, 220 pounds and 21 years old. stubborn fat tissue around abdominal area and love handles so im going to a low carb plan. how many grams of carbs do you recommend a day based on what im doing and my frame? anyone have a sample plan? thank you
Research carb cycling...

midlandindian

Awards
A one time thing is ok, and I know how easy it is to lose track of time when you're doing homework (especially when you pop an add before ;)), but always try to bring snack with you. If you don't eat for more than about 4 hours, your body starts to think that you're starving it, and it steals nutrients straight from your muscles. Also, when you do decide do eat after not eating in a while, your body stores the extra glucose as fat, in case you "starve" yourself again. It's an unfortunate double whammy...good luck bro.

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
cut out carbs after 3 pm, eat high healthy fats and protein requirements, lift in the am, cardio session at night. This ussually works for me. Just a suggestion. I would aslo suggest the few carbs you eat during the day make sure you eat preworkout and postworkout. My last suggestion is in the afternoon after you stop taking in the carbs i would up the protein with some healthy lean meats.

maddbomber

Awards
bassgod is pointing you in the right direction...carb cycling

i currently cycle carbs and it has worked like a dream for me....here is an example

lifting day (i get to the gym at 5am, no time for preworkout meal)

drink 1 serving of Xtend bcaa's mixed with 1 serving of dextrose and 20 oz of water throughout workout

immediately pwo i have two servings of protein (52g) mixed with water

about 60-75 minutes later i eat 1 potato with 3 whole eggs

two hours later i have a protein bar or protein shake (1 scoop)

two hours later i have 1 potato with 3 whole eggs

two hours later i have 1oz of mixed nuts

about 5 hours later i have some type of lean meat (chicken, 93/7 beef , fish) with a green veggie

***on a non lifting day leave the potato in on the first meal and swap the potato in the second meal for a green veggie....

***saturday is a 0 carb day (i have carbs but they are all from green veggies)
***sunday is a re-feed day (i dont focus on counting carbs...this is also leg day for me so i make sure to get plenty of protein as well)

good luck

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
The meal of champions!! This is my pre contest meal plan ;)

Don't stress the little things my friend, use that as your weekly cheat meal and move on, clear your home of all temptations, and trek on in your anabolic voyage into a better tomorrow!

2k1s

2k1s

Awards
  • Established
11 dorrito chips! you crazy maaaaan.

if you cheat on your diet, it isn't the end of the world. low carb diets are mostly good for losing mass, not just fat.

maddbomber

Awards
11 dorrito chips! you crazy maaaaan.

if you cheat on your diet, it isn't the end of the world. low carb diets are mostly good for losing mass, not just fat.
thats why the low carb diets will generally make someone smaller but their overall shape stays about the same...

2k1s

2k1s

Awards
  • Established
thats why the low carb diets will generally make someone smaller but their overall shape stays about the same...
unless you go over board on it, yeah. I got down to about 140 lbs once. You could see all of my ribs. 1400 calories a day, less than 10g of carbs and fats + running 4-6 miles a day. Only time I've ever had abs :worried:

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
40/40/20 baby... 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% Fat... slight caloric deficit, and cardio 4-5 days per week.

Cardio is king... increases your bodies oxidative capabilities, and ability to burn fat

And yes it may be calories in vs calories out, but what your body uses for energy and when is all dependent on whats available. Low carb is garbage if you want to maintain muscle

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
40/40/20 baby... 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% Fat... slight caloric deficit, and cardio 4-5 days per week.

Cardio is king... increases your bodies oxidative capabilities, and ability to burn fat

And yes it may be calories in vs calories out, but what your body uses for energy and when is all dependent on whats available. Low carb is garbage if you want to maintain muscle
yep, no scientific evidence showing any benefit to it. Even with the ketogenic diets when you look at them for them to work at all you have to keep protein down to something under 1g/pound (possibly as low as .6g/lb), and ALL the rest of your calories from fat. Otherwise your body will take the excess protein you take in and via gluconeogenesis turn it into glycogen and voila you aren't in a ketogenic state.

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
yep, no scientific evidence showing any benefit to it. Even with the ketogenic diets when you look at them for them to work at all you have to keep protein down to something under 1g/pound (possibly as low as .6g/lb), and ALL the rest of your calories from fat. Otherwise your body will take the excess protein you take in and via gluconeogenesis turn it into glycogen and voila you aren't in a ketogenic state.
exactly, and the process of utilizing aminos for energy via gluconeogenesis, or other glycolytic intermediates is very inefficient by energy means, so your performance in the gym will suffer... eventually leading to detraining, and increased protein degradation from muscle tissue

mmmm about to go eat some oatmeal

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
exactly, and the process of utilizing aminos for energy via gluconeogenesis, or other glycolytic intermediates is very inefficient by energy means, so your performance in the gym will suffer... eventually leading to detraining, and increased protein degradation from muscle tissue

mmmm about to go eat some oatmeal
Seems OP's question was answered but I was wondering at a 40/40/20 macro split how many grams of fat are you taking in a day?

Like how carbs per/lb of BW do you need on your split? how do you arrive at your total calorie needs for this ratio?

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure I understand you question fully, but if I were trying to shred BF, and dropping to say 2000 calories, it would simply be 200g C, 200g P, and 45g of fat

maddbomber

Awards
Seems OP's question was answered but I was wondering at a 40/40/20 macro split how many grams of fat are you taking in a day?

Like how carbs per/lb of BW do you need on your split? how do you arrive at your total calorie needs for this ratio?
40/40/20 macro split has been accepted in the bodybuilding circle for decades

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure I understand you question fully, but if I were trying to shred BF, and dropping to say 2000 calories, it would simply be 200g C, 200g P, and 45g of fat
Sorry, I sorry I didn't word it a little clearer. You answered my question just fine, Thank You.