Starving while you sleep?

Mabuwol

Awards
Is it ok to starve yourself if you want to lose some poundage?
My friend recommended that I continue my 6 meals a day plan, but to eat dinner before 5 PM. That way, by the time I wake up to start the day off and grab breakfast (typically around 6 AM), I would have skipped about 12 hours. Will this harm your body or what? Thanks.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is it ok to starve yourself if you want to lose some poundage?
My friend recommended that I continue my 6 meals a day plan, but to eat dinner before 5 PM. That way, by the time I wake up to start the day off and grab breakfast (typically around 6 AM), I would have skipped about 12 hours. Will this harm your body or what? Thanks.
It's NEVER ok to starve yourself. However, I wouldn't consider going for ~12 hours without food "starving" yourself, so long as you're getting in adequate calories and your nutrition when you ARE eating is fine. Everyone is going to differ on opinion here, but going for 12 hours without food is not going to harm you - I do this myself, but I also make sure I eat enough in the times I do eat.

Losing weight is EASY - just manipulate your nutrition, hydration, and training.

The focus should never be on losing scale weight, though, and on losing bodyfat, if loss is desired. Starving oneself and following ridiculous low calorie or low carbohydrate diets are not the most effective way to go for fat loss, either.

Review The 3 Keys to Fat Loss for comprehensive advice and information re nutrition (supplementation and training) on how to effectively and successfully lose bodyfat.

~Rosie~

Mabuwol

Awards
Thanks Rosie. Checked out the link and has a lot of great information. I'm going to share this with some of my friends.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I find myself waking up in the middle of the night 1 or 2 times a week hungry... I just down some egg whites and liver tabs and go back to sleep! Yummy

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Fasting/calorie restriction is beneficial for multiple reasons and is currently the only scientifically supported method of lifespan extension.

However, simply going from 5pm to the next day isn't long enough to do anything, good or bad.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Fasting/calorie restriction is beneficial for multiple reasons and is currently the only scientifically supported method of lifespan extension.

However, simply going from 5pm to the next day isn't long enough to do anything, good or bad.
This.

I have been known to fast for 3-4 days at a time myself, only drinking water.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks Rosie. Checked out the link and has a lot of great information. I'm going to share this with some of my friends.
No worries :) Your question is just one of the many reasons why I wrote that article. Feel free to share it as much as you like.

~Rosie~

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If I hit my daily macros early, I'll usually just turn in early for the night so I don't start to get hungry. This has the added benefit of adding more sleep, which is of course very beneficial!