How much protein in turkey breast?

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, I am keeping track of my daily calories and macro breakdowns, and have found a lot of conflict on the amount of protein in turkey. I buy boneless skinless turkey breast tenderloins from the local supermarket, and it tends to be my primary source of protein.

A preset food item on fitday (the calorie counting service I use) has a food item, "Turkey, fryer-roasters, breast, meat only, cooked, roasted." It says 4 oz of meat is 0.8g fat, 0g carb, 34g protein. However, I bought a whole turkey post-thanksgiving ($1 per pound!), and the nutritional label says that for 4 oz of roasted white meat the breakdown is 6g fat, 0 carbs, 22g protein.

I'm assuming they're including the skin and fat into the figure which would explain the higher fat, but the protein is quite a bit off from the fitday figure.

Which one is right, 22g or 34g?

Also, I measure weight pre-cooking. So if I buy 2 lb of raw turkey, after cooking I will divide it into four 0.5lb divisions and each time I eat one count it as 0.5 lb. Is this the right way to do it, or is there a big difference between pre and post cooked?

Thanks guys!

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
I would go with whats on the package. Thats what I do, alot of times the presets are right on or a good close measurement. Nothing beats labels imo though.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well, there is no nutritional info on the store-bought meat (boneless skinless breasts). I know turkey is turkey. I'm just wondering if the butterball package averages all the mass on the turkey, ie, fat that has not been trimmed, skin, ligaments, etc. Obviously this would lower the density and make protein per oz. less and fat per oz. higher.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I would say 20-24 grams pre 4oz servings...

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys, maybe I will just use the stats for the frozen chicken breasts I use, which say 35g protein and 2g fat for a 6oz serving. The birds have to have a pretty similar nutrient profile, right?

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I found my error. I was using the profile for the "cooked" turkey breast instead of for the "raw" turkey breast. A cooked portion of the same weight will have more nutrients than a raw portion, since water is lost during cooking. I was figuring my portions based on raw weights printed on the packages, so I was off.

So I need to eat a little more! Thanks guys :)