Effects of no food

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Answers

Effects of no food

I've been sick for about 28 hours and unable to keep down any food at all for the entire duration. How much of an effect will this have on muscle and weight loss. I also was unable to drink any water until about 16 hours in and then only as a few small ice cubes. I've also noticed mg joints especially in my wrists and elbows are extremely sore. Any help on this and the best way to recover from this? Thank you, and happy thanksgiving !

2. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'1"  121 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by CountryLiftin View Post
    I've been sick for about 28 hours and unable to keep down any food at all for the entire duration. How much of an effect will this have on muscle and weight loss. I also was unable to drink any water until about 16 hours in and then only as a few small ice cubes. I've also noticed mg joints especially in my wrists and elbows are extremely sore. Any help on this and the best way to recover from this? Thank you, and happy thanksgiving !
    As long as your nutrition gets back on track when you are able to keep food down, you should be ok - you might lose a little lean/muscle mass, but nothing you can't easily regain.

You WILL lose weight - maybe even drastic weight loss - from the loss of water and glycogen, but this will go back to normal once you start eating again.

A day or so withOUT food is not going to hurt you. Keep your liquids up and try having some BCAAs in your water - at least make sure you are getting in SOMEthing.

As for your joints, this could be an effect of your 'illness', or it could be an effect of supplements you may have been taking prior if using anything with AI or cortisol controlling properties, or it could be due to training.

~Rosie~
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  163 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by CountryLiftin View Post
    Man, I am so sorry to hear this! Horrible time for this to happen. Anywho, see if you can get a hold of some Phenergan (promethazine). It's an anti-histamine, but it is mainly prescribed at the E.R. to people with the flu to stop them from vomitting (works pretty well in my experience). As far as muscle and weight loss, I would say you should bounce right back to normal after it's over (assuming it's only a quick flu). Others would know more, but I don't believe a quick flu (only a couple days in duration) would cause you to go catabolic. But, I would say definitely don't exercise, and get TONS of rest. And if you can get Codeine (Cheratussin is OTC in some states at pharmacies), I find the codeine will make your appetite uncontrollable, and stop you from coughing if present (but may make you sick at higher doses, which is the reason for the phenergan - which will make you VERY SLEEPY)! Anywho, get better man, and try to eat some turkey! Happy Thanksgiving!
    --Brian
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  163 lbs.
    Answers

If you can't get the Phenergan (Promethazine), you can use Benadryl instead. Or smoke some weed. All 3 are anti-emetics (anti-pukers).
    --Brian
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Answers

Thanks for the advice guys. I've slept probably 12 hours since 10 last night so I can finally sleep. I've been able to hold down pills and some light food I'm goin to be trying something better out next. Yesterday at the doctor they tested me (this was right before I got sick, I actually got sick for the first time at the docs) and I had a temp of 99.3 and tested negative for flu and strep. They took some more tests like for mono that will b done Friday but I'm sure its not mono just from symptoms. Unharmed a fever of 101.5 today after I felt better and could eat food so this leads me to believe I'm fighting it off now. The cause of the vomitting was actually post nasal drip into my stomach, and the mucus caused me to throw it up. Thanks for the advice and assurance,
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  163 lbs.
    Answers

Man, I hate the drip! Eww! Doesn't tylenol help with fevers? I can't remember; I hate taking pills all the time. Anywho, glad to hear you can finally keep stuff down. It's so depressing when you're pukey all day!
    --Brian
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 04-07-2013, 11:02 PM
  2. TT-33 with or without food?
    By DavidG in forum I-Force Nutrition
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-18-2011, 01:04 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-07-2009, 05:38 PM
  4. Marijuana,metabolize food, just like alcohol and food?
    By socal101 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-22-2008, 05:36 PM
  5. Superdrol effects/side effects.
    By RwhJR3 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 10-03-2007, 03:09 PM